What annoys you when you're out building?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What annoys you when you're out building?
Posted: Apr 29, 2016 at 21:47 Quote
We were rebuilding a local pump track and we put a cable around one of the doubles because people were riding it in the mud and we were rebuilding the lip literally every weekend. Kid named turbo (Who hasn't even picked up a shovel at the place) comes around, doesn't like what we did, and rips every lip in the place apart. Right in time for dry season. I'm honestly considering rebuilding this summer, but it seems futile. We are next to a 365 riverbed that almost always has muddy-slush flowing through it. Should I Wait or Should I go? haha

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 0:53 Quote
siderealwall2 wrote:
We were rebuilding a local pump track and we put a cable around one of the doubles because people were riding it in the mud and we were rebuilding the lip literally every weekend. Kid named turbo (Who hasn't even picked up a shovel at the place) comes around, doesn't like what we did, and rips every lip in the place apart. Right in time for dry season. I'm honestly considering rebuilding this summer, but it seems futile. We are next to a 365 riverbed that almost always has muddy-slush flowing through it. Should I Wait or Should I go? haha

Throw this Turbo shit head in said muddy-slosh and step on his head.

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 19:09 Quote
mcjump wrote:
not a note on building but i fricking HATE when someone finds your secret spot and maps the god dam trail out on strava

Flag it, and keep flagging it until it stops getting mapped

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 21:40 Quote
And put a delightful "no Strava f*ggots" sign at the top Smile Strava will be the demise of secret trails if it's not kept in check, I would not tolerate that shit at all, even if it means having to put a locked barrier at a critical part of the trail.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 10:31 Quote
[Quote="scrippsranchDJ"]
bigfootrider10 wrote:
definatly the fact that when im building i am the only one there. although its a benifit in some aspects its really annoying trying to get a new stunt or trail built and no one to help you build it

"If you build it, they will come"

So basically, you build your whole trail AND THEN everybody wants to help build or ride it. Kinda sucks but it happens sometimes.[/Quote

You mean all the TIME!]

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 20:36 Quote
OK This rant I'm gonna do doesnt necessarily come from digging trails, but it also comes from pouring concrete and building skateparks.

-Drinking is fine, but please know that if you do, you're one of the grunts mixing concrete. NO POWER TOOLS! Do you know how much wood we wasted because your drunk ass couldnt cut in a straight line? WE NEED THIS FOR THE FRAME!!!!

- Its awesome that you want to come and help, but when you get there and sit on your ass on the bench playing with your iPhone while everybody else is putting in a lot of work, get the **** out.

- 4 people for a concrete mix is enough, more and then youre just banging shovels.

- Dont try to make stupid small talk while in the middle of heavy work (putting down rebar, power tools, etc). Small talk is saved for the bench. If it does not pertain to the work at hand, please dont ****ing talk to me.

I guess I just take this stuff too seriously. Ive been a part of enough dick-around builds that Ive seen lots of projects messed up.,

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 13:37 Quote
[Quote="christheshredder"]
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
bigfootrider10 wrote:
definatly the fact that when im building i am the only one there. although its a benifit in some aspects its really annoying trying to get a new stunt or trail built and no one to help you build it

"If you build it, they will come"

So basically, you build your whole trail AND THEN everybody wants to help build or ride it. Kinda sucks but it happens sometimes.[/Quote

You mean all the TIME!]

far far too true ---

I have a 70/30 rule ---- 30% pay (labor) 70% play (riding)... for me personally, it's more like 50/50, even 60/40

for most, it's more like 10% pay, 90% play and with some, if math like this was possible, it would be -10% pay, 110% play.

it gets to the point, I stopped giving a shit about so called rider buds riding with me and I just do my own thing at my own speed on my own time. if they want to show up and help, fine but, I no longer try working around their schedule. far too often they have some excuse why they can't help on any given day, instead, if they show up, they just show up and ride.

I really don't get why so many people just show up to ride and don't ever lift a finger keeping trails in check...even simple shit like a tree limb falling on the trail --- they'll just blast over it kind of thing instead of stopping and tossing it aside

enough rant for now

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 14:15 Quote
I swear some people have forgotten the joy and satisfaction that comes with planning, building, testing, reshaping, and finishing a project with your buddies.

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 14:22 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
I swear some people have forgotten the joy and satisfaction that comes with planning, building, testing, reshaping, and finishing a project with your buddies.

here-here

I enjoy building a new line or trail feature just as much as riding... love the whole process of tweakin' a line so it flows to the way I like it.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 17:08 Quote
i hate it when you build a dj line, then some a hole kids come and push them over as soon as you finish because they are scared of the gap.

Hate it when i build a trail, nobody offers to help dig, but i get 100 dms asking where it is because they wanna ride.
Hate it when little kids get into mountain biking and think they can adopt a trail that is already being maintained thouroughly

Hate it when an xc *ag says "there are no reasons to build a gap jump, tables are safer"

Hate it when the city takes a north shore feature that i busted my ass working on

Hate it when people rant like this for too long

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 19:45 Quote
Glad this thread s back to life. I hate when the consensus in your community is that a smoother trail equals a better trail. No manmade manufactured rock gardens dont count. (Arkansas)

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
I hate it when people attempt to "rebuild" my trail without me knowing, it's fine if your gonna do some maintenance and fix it up but don't destroy stuff and attempt to make it "better". Now don't even dare post my secret trail on trailforks.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
gatesaver wrote:
I hate it when people attempt to "rebuild" my trail without me knowing, it's fine if your gonna do some maintenance and fix it up but don't destroy stuff and attempt to make it "better". Now don't even dare post my secret trail on trailforks.

My number 1 beef!

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
We have some kids who are trying to build at our local trail who just have the worst etiquette.

We try to keep the trails so that they can be ridden by everyone. If there's a jump there's got to be a good route around, or it has to be rollable. Most of the jumps are flyouts - jump as far as you want.

These kids keep trying to build landings to the jumps which isn't necessary and means the features aren't rollable. They also place the landings way too close to the take offs - super easy to clear the entire landing they've built.

They also tend to leave huge holes next to the trail for people's feet and wheels and dogs to get stuck in

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 5:12 Quote
tom666 wrote:
We have some kids who are trying to build at our local trail who just have the worst etiquette.

We try to keep the trails so that they can be ridden by everyone. If there's a jump there's got to be a good route around, or it has to be rollable. Most of the jumps are flyouts - jump as far as you want.

These kids keep trying to build landings to the jumps which isn't necessary and means the features aren't rollable. They also place the landings way too close to the take offs - super easy to clear the entire landing they've built.

They also tend to leave huge holes next to the trail for people's feet and wheels and dogs to get stuck in

Preach. Our old trails from about 10 years ago have been took over by the local scrotes. Building jumps with exposed twigs, dig holes next to jumps etc and generally ruining the place. Quite sad cause it worked really well but too far gone now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.115847
Mobile Version of Website