2024 Trek Slash

PB Forum :: Trek
2024 Trek Slash
Posted: May 6, 2024 at 14:02 Quote
So I’m in the thought of getting an Enduro bike, the gen 6 Slash has been on my shortlist but the concern about the infamous chain dropping has kept me sceptical. I don’t have the patience to deal with that stuff.

Is this still a problem after the fixes Trek has made? Any major difference between Shimano and T-Type SRAM drivetrains?

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 5:57 Quote
wiroe wrote:
So I’m in the thought of getting an Enduro bike, the gen 6 Slash has been on my shortlist but the concern about the infamous chain dropping has kept me sceptical. I don’t have the patience to deal with that stuff.

Is this still a problem after the fixes Trek has made? Any major difference between Shimano and T-Type SRAM drivetrains?

Issue has been solved - wrong spacer was spec'd on some of the early bikes.

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 13:42 Quote
wiroe wrote:

The spacing issue absolutely did not stop my bike from dropping chains. Not even a little bit. The only thing that has stopped it completely was taking off the T type and going back to mechanical , or swapping out the useless standard chain roller for something that works, either a E13 or similar.

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 16:10 Quote
wolftwenty1 wrote:
BrianColes wrote:
I’m 150lb on a medium. My vivid had a very firm tune and made it garbage. Stopped trying to figure it out and went coil. Before that I believe I was running 30-35% sag in the progressive setting and using all the travel but not bottoming hard. Shock set up was wack though so take it for what’s it’s worth.

I find the zeb sits low in its travel. I had a zeb r on my range from two years ago and it sat higher. I also find all fox forks sit higher.

I like a stiff fork. Set about 6-10 higher. My low speed is fully closed but am experimenting with a few clicks open. I ride in Golden BC. Lots of steeps and want support over everything.

Helpful thanks. Also steep here where I ride and feels like I'm using more travel than I would with the 38. I'm gonna bump up the pressure to see if that fixes it and likely need a token...just feels like there is no support at the end of the stroke.

VIVID...yea its kinda weird one at least 2 rides in - also the stupid adjustment know fell off first ride, lol - seems a few PSI is making a huge difference in this thing....anyone know i it comes with any volume spacers from the factory? I have not pulled it apart yet.

No support at the end of stroke? Do you mean top of stroke?

I’m going to order an older airspring that will make the fork less progressive because of a smaller negative air chamber. Should give better support up too but make the bottom accessible. I’ll still run it stiff but it should get rid of the vacuum that immediately eats 20/30mm of travel.

Posted: May 8, 2024 at 8:13 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
wolftwenty1 wrote:
BrianColes wrote:
I’m 150lb on a medium. My vivid had a very firm tune and made it garbage. Stopped trying to figure it out and went coil. Before that I believe I was running 30-35% sag in the progressive setting and using all the travel but not bottoming hard. Shock set up was wack though so take it for what’s it’s worth.

I find the zeb sits low in its travel. I had a zeb r on my range from two years ago and it sat higher. I also find all fox forks sit higher.

I like a stiff fork. Set about 6-10 higher. My low speed is fully closed but am experimenting with a few clicks open. I ride in Golden BC. Lots of steeps and want support over everything.

Helpful thanks. Also steep here where I ride and feels like I'm using more travel than I would with the 38. I'm gonna bump up the pressure to see if that fixes it and likely need a token...just feels like there is no support at the end of the stroke.

VIVID...yea its kinda weird one at least 2 rides in - also the stupid adjustment know fell off first ride, lol - seems a few PSI is making a huge difference in this thing....anyone know i it comes with any volume spacers from the factory? I have not pulled it apart yet.

No support at the end of stroke? Do you mean top of stroke?

I’m going to order an older airspring that will make the fork less progressive because of a smaller negative air chamber. Should give better support up too but make the bottom accessible. I’ll still run it stiff but it should get rid of the vacuum that immediately eats 20/30mm of travel.

End of the stroke...like the last 10-20 mm of travel. Its nice off the top (first 20-30mm)

O+
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 18:30 Quote
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with my shock setup? I have the vivid select + slash 9. I'm 160 lbs running 25% sag. Blowing through all my travel on the smallest drops and hits. I even have the HBO maxed out. LSC it is -3 clicks from full closed. Only thing that feels good is rebound.

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 23:16 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with my shock setup? I have the vivid select + slash 9. I'm 160 lbs running 25% sag. Blowing through all my travel on the smallest drops and hits. I even have the HBO maxed out. LSC it is -3 clicks from full closed. Only thing that feels good is rebound.

make sure you are on the progressive setting and add more volume spacers. I have mine at 30% with no issues with bottom out. I use most of the travel all the time but never bottom. HBO is half for me.

Posted: May 10, 2024 at 8:33 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I seem to have a similar issue...Did you cycle the negative air chamber? I found I did not do that originally...took all teh air out...put it at 50psi...cycled it...and then added 20psi at a time cycling the negative air chamber.

That did make a difference...but yea seems like volume spacers are key...

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 16:37 Quote
Thanks the for the advice. How many volume spacers come stock?

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 7:15 Quote
Is it possible to do a reach adjusting headset? I figure since there is an angle adjust, reach adjust must be an option.

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 7:50 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
Is it possible to do a reach adjusting headset? I figure since there is an angle adjust, reach adjust must be an option.

If you put it in the steeper setting you will will a mm or two in reach

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 15:44 Quote
Fair, but that’s the opposite direction I’d like to go.

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 17:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Thanks the for the advice. How many volume spacers come stock?

2 for me. Added another 2.

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 8:10 Quote
Mine also has 2...had to order some as nobody locally had any...going to try a third.

But cycling that VIVID seems absolutely key...the negative air chamber seems massive. Its kinda obvious, but really set it up like the instructions say to...lol.

Posted: May 18, 2024 at 8:55 Quote
Does anyone else’s XT shift like crap? Going up the cassette takes a ton of force. My tech changed the cable and housing after a dozen rides because he said the clamp at the chainstay pivot was too tight and restricted the cable. That didn’t fix anything. The derailleur tried to commit suicide into the cassette last night by ghost shifting.

The fact that the cable does two hard 90 bends through the chainstay bridge is mind boggling. I may try and reroute it externally. Just curious if anyone has any tips.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016938
Mobile Version of Website