Powered by Outside

DH racing flat's or clipless

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH racing flat's or clipless
Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:31 Quote
Nobble wrote:
reinholds wrote:
After riding flats for years, I just switched to SPDs on both: DH and road bicycle.
In general I simply love SPD. I learned on flats to bunny hope, endo and do stuff like that (on DH bike Razz ), now SPDs seems as natural progression to me. Maybe if I wouldn't have learned to do all that stuff on flats, SPDs would learn bad habit.
The ride seems to be smoother and I feel more confident over rocks that my feet won't come of and flat pedals with 5mm razor sharp pins won't make permanent 8 holes in my shin and fractures in bone. Just saying...
I had two moments on my road bike, when I miserably fell on my side at traffic light, but hey, all SPD riders go through it.
I wondn't be categoric about subject of Flats Vs SPD, but I would suggest anyone to try out SPDs. They might work out like a charm to you.
my friend says the opposite, he bought a set of mallets and rode them for a while. then he decided to try out a good set of flats with his five tens and he immediately decided he was done with clips.
Totally possible. It's really into feel you like. I do not feel restricted with SPDs, I love that my feet is always in the same spot, so I know what action I'll get back from bike. Not being the biggest fan of Mallets, I wouldn't suggest those, but that is again personal choice. All I'm saying, SPDs should't be overlooked option for serious DH riding/racing.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:45 Quote
reinholds wrote:
Nobble wrote:
reinholds wrote:
After riding flats for years, I just switched to SPDs on both: DH and road bicycle.
In general I simply love SPD. I learned on flats to bunny hope, endo and do stuff like that (on DH bike Razz ), now SPDs seems as natural progression to me. Maybe if I wouldn't have learned to do all that stuff on flats, SPDs would learn bad habit.
The ride seems to be smoother and I feel more confident over rocks that my feet won't come of and flat pedals with 5mm razor sharp pins won't make permanent 8 holes in my shin and fractures in bone. Just saying...
I had two moments on my road bike, when I miserably fell on my side at traffic light, but hey, all SPD riders go through it.
I wondn't be categoric about subject of Flats Vs SPD, but I would suggest anyone to try out SPDs. They might work out like a charm to you.
my friend says the opposite, he bought a set of mallets and rode them for a while. then he decided to try out a good set of flats with his five tens and he immediately decided he was done with clips.
Totally possible. It's really into feel you like. I do not feel restricted with SPDs, I love that my feet is always in the same spot, so I know what action I'll get back from bike. Not being the biggest fan of Mallets, I wouldn't suggest those, but that is again personal choice. All I'm saying, SPDs should't be overlooked option for serious DH riding/racing.
totally agree bud been using shimano spds now for ages and cant get on with flats anymore,tried a few times but find not having to worry about foot placement helps to increase concentration on more important things lol!!but like ya said each to their own hey....

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:49 Quote
norco32 wrote:
reinholds wrote:
Nobble wrote:
totally agree bud been using shimano spds now for ages and cant get on with flats anymore,tried a few times but find not having to worry about foot placement helps to increase concentration on more important things lol!!but like ya said each to their own hey....
Ohh yes mate, shimano pedals action is just great. Crisp and mechanic. What pedals do you use? I've got the DX + AM45, works like a charm!

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:53 Quote
I wouldnt run SPD's if I was gonna get clips, from my experience they're the most difficult to get in and out of. I'd probably get mallets or times

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:58 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I wouldnt run SPD's if I was gonna get clips, from my experience they're the most difficult to get in and out of. I'd probably get mallets or times
Are you serious? Shimanos M647 are the only platform/spd pedals with clipin/out tension adjustment, that I know. And works flawless ever time (excluding very muddy conditions..) Mallets are just completely different feel, but I wouldn't call them more easy to clip in or out.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:59 Quote
reinholds wrote:
norco32 wrote:
reinholds wrote:

Ohh yes mate, shimano pedals action is just great. Crisp and mechanic. What pedals do you use? I've got the DX + AM45, works like a charm!
yeah running dx's with mp66,run them with tension pretty low so as to speed up unclipping on technical stuff!!was looking at maybe getting 45's.any good mate??

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 16:03 Quote
if you're using them for DH just get five ten hellcats or ravens

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 16:05 Quote
norco32 wrote:
yeah running dx's with mp66,run them with tension pretty low so as to speed up unclipping on technical stuff!!was looking at maybe getting 45's.any good mate??
The 45s a great. I've ridden now with my XC and DH bike for around 30 times with some drifts and stuff like that, and the sole is like new, not even a scratch. What I like is that inside ankle is protected from those annoying hits on cranks or frames. The leather is good, and they are hot but not very. The sole metal plate around the clip, is perfect for precise clip in and makes sure that the sole isn't damaged by pedals.
One thing tho I need to warn you about is the sizing. I do now know with what end did Japanese developers thought, but the sizing is all wrong. I have running and cycling shoes all in size of 45 max 45.5. I needed 47 of AM45 to avoid squashing my fingers in form of question mark. In short, if you have larger sizes like 44, 45. get two sizes up.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 16:08 Quote
reinholds wrote:
norco32 wrote:
The 45s a great. I've ridden now with my XC and DH bike for around 30 times with some drifts and stuff like that, and the sole is like new, not even a scratch. What I like is that inside ankle is protected from those annoying hits on cranks or frames. The leather is good, and they are hot but not very. The sole metal plate around the clip, is perfect for precise clip in and makes sure that the sole isn't damaged by pedals.
One thing tho I need to warn you about is the sizing. I do now know with what end did Japanese developers thought, but the sizing is all wrong. I have running and cycling shoes all in size of 45 max 45.5. I needed 47 of AM45 to avoid squashing my fingers in form of question mark. In short, if you have larger sizes like 44, 45. get two sizes up.
nice one will keep that in mind!!

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 16:10 Quote
Nobble wrote:
will defo take a look,gotta be a good partnership five ten stealth and clips,or maybe a little overkill??wat you think??

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 16:15 Quote
norco32 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
will defo take a look,gotta be a good partnership five ten stealth and clips,or maybe a little overkill??wat you think??
sounds like a winning combo to me, although I like flats best personally.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 18:51 Quote
Nobble wrote:
norco32 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
sounds like a winning combo to me, although I like flats best personally.
I run Minaars with Crankbrothers Candys for AM and am considering using them for DH too.
I've tried Mallets for a short time on a mates bike and although they give a lot of security, they aren't too quick to get out of, but I'd need to try them for DH first to give a non bias opinion Native

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 5:02 Quote
Nobble wrote:
SPD's are not a problem, it's all in how you adjust them also for DH we like to wear them out in the mud so their easier and float better. Experience. Wink

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 5:28 Quote
I can clip into and out of spd's as if they are a flat pedal, I tried some Crank Bro's Candys for a while and just couldn't get on with them, it took too long to clip into and I didn't like how much float they have.

It's a good point raised before about learning on flats then switching to clipless, that's what I did and it definitely helps your technique the same as starting riding on a rigid or short travel hardtail before switching to full sus.

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 at 0:56 Quote
I've been on DX's forever and we all know they have no float. I really need to learn how to apply flat pedal techniques to DH which Ive been doing on my hardtail, but the DX's are completely different. Are Mallets the answer? Do they have a lot of float, and I think Ive heard they only engage as a clip when you pull up, otherwise it feels like a flat? I've never ridden them and dont have the money to just try them so I'd like to ask here!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010548
Mobile Version of Website