Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 17:11 Quote
Not really my thing....(bc I'm not good at it) Cry

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2023 at 9:54 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I used to love 26” wheels and hate 29ers, simply for maneuverability. I haven’t tried a 29er DH bike yet, but all the 2020 and newer trail/enduro 29ers I’ve tried have been much more maneuverable than any big wheel bike I tried prior.

Something in modern geometry has practically solved the maneuverability problem with big wheels. For me anyways, I’m a larger dude. Idk if all this has translated to 29er dh bikes though.

Some of the geo changes companies made to the trail and enduro bikes, like steeper seat tube angles and ridiculously long reaches, do not translate as well to dh bikes. Some better than others obviously.

Maybe I should try a 29er bike this summer before I go whole hog. Or go mullet like the TR11, just to be safer and still benefit 50% from big wheels.

TR11 just moved up a notch over the Jedi.

I was always 26 forever. Then all my friends were passing me on bigger wheels so I got a 275 DH bike. Not as flickable as a 26 but you carry speed better so you're working less for the jumps. I ran my last DH bike mullet and it is game changer compared to my 275 trail bike. The front just doesn't get caught in holes so your momentum keeps going forward. Definitely another plus for the TR11. I'm building up the wheels with double butted spokes also in hopes the lesser rotational weight will help make the rear wheel more flickable.

Not sure if you've looked but I saw someone set up a Canfield One.2 mullet and they liked it. I've not ridden either so I can't speak to it.

Posted: Apr 5, 2023 at 10:56 Quote
I just got my first mullet bike the other day, Status 160. Been on the 29er bandwagon for all mtn bikes for 2 years, after being a small wheel holdout. I haven’t ridden the Status on a good trail yet, but I can already feel the benefits of 27.5 out back, and 29er up front.

Gonna be taking this Status to Northstar, and also riding local trails. Whatever I feel I want to change about the bike during park laps, will dictate which dh frame I build up this upcoming fall/winter.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 4:30 Quote
First time I tried a mullet DH bike in Andorra hated it. Being used to the 29er found the rear wheel sliding much more in fast corners.

I thought the better maneuverability was a commercial claim from industry. After spending more time with mullet bikes realized the problem was more related with my riding position.

DH bikes nowadays are flicklable and easy to ride. But mostly I do whips and tables, don’t know if it’s harder for people doing bigger tricks like 360s or flips

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 10:40 Quote
Put 2 rides on my mullet bike, about to do a third.

After riding 27.5+(hardtail) and 29 for the past two years, I can definitely feel a lack of grip in the back on the smaller rear. It is more maneuverable, but I think modern geo has made wagon wheels more maneuverable than ever.. and now 27.5 almost feels twitchy to me.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 14:17 Quote
A lot of it is very subjective. I'm in the opposite camp where I came up riding 20s and then 22s before I got into mountain biking. Had 26" for forever and the first time I tried a 275 (roughly 2015, and on a brand new bike) I hated it because it wouldn't turn. Eventually transitioned to full 275. Tried a full 29 Session summer of 2022 at highland and did not like it for the same reason. Axle was too far behind me and took too much to lean over. I've settled on a mullet as the benefits of a 29 front are really hard to beat, but being able to get the bike leaned over in a tight corner with the smaller wheel is ideal

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 15:44 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
A lot of it is very subjective. I'm in the opposite camp where I came up riding 20s and then 22s before I got into mountain biking. Had 26" for forever and the first time I tried a 275 (roughly 2015, and on a brand new bike) I hated it because it wouldn't turn. Eventually transitioned to full 275. Tried a full 29 Session summer of 2022 at highland and did not like it for the same reason. Axle was too far behind me and took too much to lean over. I've settled on a mullet as the benefits of a 29 front are really hard to beat, but being able to get the bike leaned over in a tight corner with the smaller wheel is ideal

I agree with this too

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 23:12 Quote
Hi Pinkbikers!

Would love some input into my bike for next season. Budget 3-4k CAD

I have come across a Session 9.9 2020 within my budget. I've never tried 29' wheels but I'm thinking I would prefer 27.5 or a mullet set up. I'll be riding Whistler park most days of the week and am more interested in fun rather than fast.

Question is, do you think it would be a good idea to go for it or should I opt for something else. A NS Fuzz 2019 has also caught my eye.

I have also seen a few Session 9.9's of the same year running 27 wheels? I know all the pros and cons but do you think running the smaller wheel with some fat tires would give enough clearance for the BB/cranks? Or mullet? Or should I not even entertain the idea of running 27 on a bike designed for 29?

I also read that the front triangle is the exact same at the session 88 which is 27? Thoughts on replacing my the rear triangle?

It's alot but thanks in advance for the feedback.

Posted: Apr 12, 2023 at 2:04 Quote
Adem92 wrote:
Hi Pinkbikers!

I have come across a Session 9.9 2020 within my budget. I've never tried 29' wheels but I'm thinking I would prefer 27.5 or a mullet set up. I'll be riding Whistler park most days of the week and am more interested in fun rather than fast.

Question is, do you think it would be a good idea to go for it or should I opt for something else. A NS Fuzz 2019 has also caught my eye.

I have also seen a few Session 9.9's of the same year running 27 wheels? I know all the pros and cons but do you think running the smaller wheel with some fat tires would give enough clearance for the BB/cranks? Or mullet? Or should I not even entertain the idea of running 27 on a bike designed for 29?

I also read that the front triangle is the exact same at the session 88 which is 27? Thoughts on replacing my the rear triangle?

I believe you are correct in saying that the difference between the 27.5 and 29 sessions of that era was all in the rear swingarm.

Running 27.5 wheels with fat tyres would be pointless, as this would bring your wheel diameter close to that of a 29" wheel, with all the added disadvantages of having a huge baloon tyre. If you are considering doing this, you would get a faster and more nimble bike simply running a full 29" setup.

Setting the bike up as a mullet, will only lower the bb by a couple of mm. I'd suggest trying this and seeing if you like it. It certainly isn't going to totally ruin the bike, people worry way too much about tiny geo changes. I'd also suggest just trying it in full 29" setup. You might like it. The session is a fairly nimble bike anyway, so the big wheels aren't going to turn it into a total barge, as they might on some of the longer higher pivot bikes out there.

Setting the bike up as a full 27.5 front and rear probably will drop the bb too low. And to be honest, unless you are doing nothing but smooth flow/jump lines and are only concerned about backflip 360 tuck nohanders, then a mullet is probably not going to hold you back any.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2023 at 8:31 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Adem92 wrote:
Hi Pinkbikers!

I believe you are correct in saying that the difference between the 27.5 and 29 sessions of that era was all in the rear swingarm.

Running 27.5 wheels with fat tyres would be pointless, as this would bring your wheel diameter close to that of a 29" wheel, with all the added disadvantages of having a huge baloon tyre. If you are considering doing this, you would get a faster and more nimble bike simply running a full 29" setup.

Setting the bike up as a mullet, will only lower the bb by a couple of mm. I'd suggest trying this and seeing if you like it. It certainly isn't going to totally ruin the bike, people worry way too much about tiny geo changes. I'd also suggest just trying it in full 29" setup. You might like it. The session is a fairly nimble bike anyway, so the big wheels aren't going to turn it into a total barge, as they might on some of the longer higher pivot bikes out there.

Setting the bike up as a full 27.5 front and rear probably will drop the bb too low. And to be honest, unless you are doing nothing but smooth flow/jump lines and are only concerned about backflip 360 tuck nohanders, then a mullet is probably not going to hold you back any.

Agree with all of this ^. I also am curious what you're coming from and what you're using it for. I know you said whis but are you just ripping A Line all day or are you spending all day on original sin?

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 7:12 Quote
When are used dh bike prices going to come down?

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 8:28 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

Thursday 13th June 2024

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 8:44 Quote
Date is tentative. I heard July 2025, depending on Covid restrictions.

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 9:23 Quote
fredro wrote:
Date is tentative. I heard July 2025, depending on Covid restrictions.
see i heard all bike companys are going on a week long bike strike so the price will go up lol

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 9:34 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

They were way down... in October 2022. You just missed it.

My neighbour is trying to land a dirt cheap DH bike. The exact same bikes he had reasonable counter offers to his lowballs last fall that didn't sell are now re-listed $1000 higher lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022662
Mobile Version of Website