Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
potato wrote:
canman1045 wrote:
I've got a quick one. I have a 2014 SRAM GX crank set that I want to put a 30t chain ring on. It has 4 bolts so I figured it would be a 104 bcd, but when I went to throw a 104bcd Race Face narrow wide ring on I found that the bolts where actually further apart than 104mm. Does anyone know what this standard is called and if they make a 30t ring for it? Thanks in advance!

It is 120mm.
Not sure about the 30t, but I think 34t is minimum.

The older 2x cranks were 120x80 bcd, you can find 30t rings for 80bcd. If it is newer the bcd is 104 and 64. You can pick up a 30t narrow wide for the 104 bolts and the smaller inside bolt pattern down to 26t. If it is a 1x crank it's probably 94bcd. The steel nw rings are like 15$ for 94bcd and last forever. The third option is a direct mount, but I'm guessing it's a 1000 or 1400 crank so probably not direct mount. Hard to tell without pics or serial numbers.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
All I needed was a cone wrench

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
goytay wrote:
Dardan1807 wrote:
I can't get the fork lower leg bolt undone because the coil side rod spins with it inside (rockshox domain rc 2011) i tried knocking it and even made some sort of tool which keeps it in place at the top from where the coil sits in but it still spins in place / my tool didn't have enough grip
It need servucing asap but i can't open it
ThankTyou Smile

Try putting the spring and spacers in again, maybe with the extra force the spring gives, it might be enough to seat the spring shaft just enough to allow it the release the bottom bolt.

Yes, put spring back in and compress the fork while undoing the nut. This usually puts enough pressure on the rod to hold it in place to spin the nut off.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 5:41 Quote
Hey everyone, quick question about Shimano I-SPEC II. I have a friend who has Shimano M315 brakes, now I know they aren't I-SPEC II, but looking at the clamp it look slike you might be able to slip in the Ispec end in between the bar and the clamp. I know it probably would not be the absolute best setup, I just want to know if if would work. Don't see why not...but I'm no expert.

Attached images of both for reference. Thanks!
photo
photo

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
bigboyroy007 wrote:
Hey everyone, quick question about Shimano I-SPEC II. I have a friend who has Shimano M315 brakes, now I know they aren't I-SPEC II, but looking at the clamp it look slike you might be able to slip in the Ispec end in between the bar and the clamp. I know it probably would not be the absolute best setup, I just want to know if if would work. Don't see why not...but I'm no expert.

Attached images of both for reference. Thanks!
photo
photo

If you want it that much and it doesn't fit you may be able to file away the aluminum on the clamp to accommodate it. But as it is it may not fit. I have had those brakes before and the clamp looks big enough to file away but under the plastic cover there's not much to the clamp. If it doesn't work it's only $20 to buy the 22.2 bar clamp to change the ReMote from ispec to clamp style.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
potato wrote:
canman1045 wrote:
I've got a quick one. I have a 2014 SRAM GX crank set that I want to put a 30t chain ring on. It has 4 bolts so I figured it would be a 104 bcd, but when I went to throw a 104bcd Race Face narrow wide ring on I found that the bolts where actually further apart than 104mm. Does anyone know what this standard is called and if they make a 30t ring for it? Thanks in advance!

It is 120mm.
Not sure about the 30t, but I think 34t is minimum.

Thanks! It's got a 32t on there now but 120mm looks about right.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
okay so im super broke this week and want to ride but my rear wheel isn't setting up tubeless, I'm out sealant and i have a tube but it has a little hole in it from taking a tire off a rim with a tire lever. im wondering if i can use some gorilla tape as a quick tube patch for riding today/tomorrow till i get paid on friday haha, go ahead and judge

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
Buy a puncture kit,. Would get you home as an emergency repair, but wouldn't go riding with it.

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
Had a puncture at work once, no puncture repair kit, used a washing up glove and superglue. Worked wonders

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Yeah man, go riding. The tape may or may not work, but if it holds air, why not? I go riding with holes in my tubes all the time, just have to make the ride short enough. I actually think the pinholes get “fixed” temporarily by contact with the inside tire casing. My tires are usually flat before the ride, but stay up fine for 5-6hrs ride. Of course I do run 40psi though...

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Had a puncture at work once, no puncture repair kit, used a washing up glove and superglue. Worked wonders

now that's what a broke ass mofo wants to hear!!

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
sosburn wrote:
dagzin wrote:

now that's what a broke ass mofo wants to hear!!

you go manlol

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 20:27 Quote
I’m swapping parts from one DH frame to another and am putting on the cranks and chain guide. I figured there wouldn’t be any issues with this but, the chainring is rubbing on the lower pulley of the guide. Is this a spacer thing on the cranks or what? Seams like it should just go on and work.
Thanks

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 20:44 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
I’m swapping parts from one DH frame to another and am putting on the cranks and chain guide. I figured there wouldn’t be any issues with this but, the chainring is rubbing on the lower pulley of the guide. Is this a spacer thing on the cranks or what? Seams like it should just go on and work.
Thanks

Is the chain on yet? Seems that might sort it out. Can you load some pics? Hard to imagine which guide, etc

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks

If the guide is mounted on iscg tabs, they may need washers to bring the guide out, or the drive side bb may need a Spacer to bring the crank out....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024977
Mobile Version of Website