Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 11:02 Quote
ybsurf wrote:
Looking to get a 29/27.5 tr11 frame to replace my too small DH. Bike but I have a 27.5 fork and wheel. What are the geometry change affected by going full 27.5 on a mullet frame? Tr11 is super slack so don't mind the steeper head angle but by how much?

I don't see why would you demullet a bike. 29er front end only have benefits. You might need a higher raised bar, softer rear spring, shorter stem, flip chip in high position (if available), bigger front tire. And who knows what else.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 11:51 Quote
fpeterHUN wrote:
ybsurf wrote:
Looking to get a 29/27.5 tr11 frame to replace my too small DH. Bike but I have a 27.5 fork and wheel. What are the geometry change affected by going full 27.5 on a mullet frame? Tr11 is super slack so don't mind the steeper head angle but by how much?

I don't see why would you demullet a bike. 29er front end only have benefits. You might need a higher raised bar, softer rear spring, shorter stem, flip chip in high position (if available), bigger front tire. And who knows what else.
A playful bike for freeriding and jump line don't need a 29 front wheel and don't need a 62° head angle. Also a lower BB isn't a big deal as you mostly do jump lines. Full 27.5 DH bike are harder to find now and transition say you can do it they just don't provide any info about it.my trail bike is mullet and perfect set up for the intended purpose of the bike.

Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 12:28 Quote
The problem is that you said you already have a 27.5 fork. Transition say you should use a 29” fork so the geometry is affected less.

A 27.5 fork is about 20mm lower. Paired with a 27.5 wheel, you’re gonna drop the front end around 40mm in total. That is a pretty significant change to the overall bike geometry.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2024 at 18:21 Quote
How viable is a 2018 scott gambler today?

Looking at getting a Dh bike for the upcoming season, I am a collegiate racer but I also do a lot of other riding besides race courses so I dont want something thats mainly a race bike like a demo or supremeDH. I have been looking into other bikes and I feel like I consistently find cheap used old gamblers.
How viable are these bikes in terms of geometry, suspension design and such compared to modern geometry? Would it be worth it to even pick one up to ride?
Are there any other suggestions people might have for a cheap ish frame or bike to get that would work for me? If i do get an older gambler or just a frame I would completely rebuild it with current gen new parts as I have employee discounts for lots of components, Im just trying to find a good but still decently cheap frame.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 21:07 Quote
Owensven wrote:
How viable is a 2018 scott gambler today?

Looking at getting a Dh bike for the upcoming season, I am a collegiate racer but I also do a lot of other riding besides race courses so I dont want something thats mainly a race bike like a demo or supremeDH. I have been looking into other bikes and I feel like I consistently find cheap used old gamblers.
How viable are these bikes in terms of geometry, suspension design and such compared to modern geometry? Would it be worth it to even pick one up to ride?
Are there any other suggestions people might have for a cheap ish frame or bike to get that would work for me? If i do get an older gambler or just a frame I would completely rebuild it with current gen new parts as I have employee discounts for lots of components, Im just trying to find a good but still decently cheap frame.
Depends how tall you are. The large fits like a modern medium.

If you’re under 5’10” you’d be fine on a large.

The suspension and geo are excellent, they’re just small by modern standards.

I rode my 2017 in the long/low setting with the -1deg headset cup installed.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 21:54 Quote
Looking for 2017 Santa Cruz v10 large

Posted: May 10, 2024 at 6:30 Quote
Hey Guys,

Just trying to get my first downhill bike.
I've found a Specialized Demo Expert from 2021 at 3350 EUR.

Do you guys think its a fair price or do you think I could get better if I waited it out?

Also, what are your guys experiences with Boxxer Select and RockShox Super Deluxe Select Coil?

The components are here
https://www.specialized.com/de/de/demo-expert/p/175246?color=281620-175246

Thanks for the help!

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 2:20 Quote
Honestly I think you could find for cheaper.
I already saw some 2021 even 2022 goes for 3000 and below one year ago when I was looking for a new bike. With current bike market I guess it should not be hard to find something at least in the same price range. From what country you are in Europe? I found some pretty cheap ones on German and Austrian adds back then.

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 2:37 Quote
alex16trail wrote:
I already saw some 2021 even 2022 goes for 3000 and below one year ago when I was looking for a new bike. With current bike market I guess it should not be hard to find something at least in the same price range. From what country you are in Europe? I found some pretty cheap ones on German and Austrian adds back then.

I live in Portugal, but locally, only Commencal and Treks are common here.

I would love a commencal but I think its kind of a risk because of their frame issues and warranty doesnt transfer.

So far I've been looking for a week and only see the same bikes, but I started look not so much ago

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 6:13 Quote
pedrokungfu wrote:
alex16trail wrote:

I would love a commencal but I think its kind of a risk because of their frame issues and warranty doesnt transfer.

So far I've been looking for a week and only see the same bikes, but I started look not so much ago

Commencal has that reputation but it is partially due to the volume of bike they sell. More bikes on the market = more angry customer whenever one breaks ^^
But I'd say Specialized are very much the same. No warranty transfer and a shit ton of bikes that crackes at the head tube. For my personal experience before going for a brand new TR11 frame I was also looking for a demo and actually bought one. It was a 2020 frame, an literally 1h30 after buying it checking the head out of curioisty I see a hairline crack in the inside of it. The paint was not cracked on the outside. And the thing was never crashed and ridden by a girl half my weight. So purely a stress crack linked to either the design of frame itself or bad welding.

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 6:50 Quote
alex16trail wrote:
pedrokungfu wrote:
alex16trail wrote:

Commencal has that reputation but it is partially due to the volume of bike they sell. More bikes on the market = more angry customer whenever one breaks ^^
But I'd say Specialized are very much the same. No warranty transfer and a shit ton of bikes that crackes at the head tube. For my personal experience before going for a brand new TR11 frame I was also looking for a demo and actually bought one. It was a 2020 frame, an literally 1h30 after buying it checking the head out of curioisty I see a hairline crack in the inside of it. The paint was not cracked on the outside. And the thing was never crashed and ridden by a girl half my weight. So purely a stress crack linked to either the design of frame itself or bad welding.

Yeah probably most of it is kind of luck, specially in the market.
What about the deals in the commencal second hand, are they any of it worth it?

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 8:17 Quote
Quickly looking at the market (on german side) you can definetly find some interesting ones, at least better equiped than the Demo you just sent the link to. Maybe broaden your research I bet you can also find some other brands like transition tr11 that will be cheap and very good.

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 9:02 Quote
yeah, second hand market is weak for DH bikes. My 2022 Gambler 910 will go for less then 3k

A new YT Tues start at 4k.

Posted: May 12, 2024 at 21:52 Quote
Anyone flown with a DH bike, is it possible to ram one in one of these evoc bags? Does the fork have to be removed?

Posted: May 12, 2024 at 21:57 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Anyone flown with a DH bike, is it possible to ram one in one of these evoc bags? Does the fork have to be removed?
I’ve flown with my S5 Enduro in a Dakine bag with the fork on.

Most bags have a listed maximum wheelbase. Check that and compare to whatever you’re trying to fit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019870
Mobile Version of Website