Powered by Outside

2013 Giant Glory

PB Forum :: Giant
2013 Giant Glory
Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 14:08 Quote
sam-rodda wrote:
So my new 2014 Giant Glory frame has arrived at the shop. Gonna be a couple weeks till I actually get it which gives me time to sort out component fit issues.

Main one is; what bottom bracket style is on the frameset? I see the 2014 Glory 0 is Press-fit but seems like the other models are standard threaded style.

Also, how high does the Overdrive headset stack. It looks pretty tall( I'm already gonna have to get a new lower-crown/steerer assembly cos my current steerer is puny) so just wanna check roughly the minimum steerer length.

Cheers guys.
I gotta imagine the press fit is a typo. As far as I know they are standard threaded 83mm but if the shop has the bike why not just call them and have them check?

Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 14:17 Quote
derekdirtrider wrote:
sam-rodda wrote:
So my new 2014 Giant Glory frame has arrived at the shop. Gonna be a couple weeks till I actually get it which gives me time to sort out component fit issues.

Main one is; what bottom bracket style is on the frameset? I see the 2014 Glory 0 is Press-fit but seems like the other models are standard threaded style.

Also, how high does the Overdrive headset stack. It looks pretty tall( I'm already gonna have to get a new lower-crown/steerer assembly cos my current steerer is puny) so just wanna check roughly the minimum steerer length.

Cheers guys.
I gotta imagine the press fit is a typo. As far as I know they are standard threaded 83mm but if the shop has the bike why not just call them and have them check?

Sometimes I am just so retarded it is not even funny! Facepalm

Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 14:30 Quote
sam-rodda wrote:

Cheers guys.
there's no overdrive bullshit on a glory, it's a regular tapered headtube and headset

Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 14:39 Quote
Nobble wrote:
sam-rodda wrote:

Cheers guys.
there's no overdrive bullshit on a glory, it's a regular tapered headtube and headset

OverDrive is what they call their standard tapered headtube/headset. OverDrive 2 is the gay 1.1/4" - 1.1/2" bollocks.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 11:39 Quote
What weight springs you guys running on your Glorys, and how much you weigh? I'm about 76kg, just looking to get a general guide of what spring I'd be looking at needing.

Also, anyone been able to compare performance between a coil and air Vivid on the Glory, and what would you say was better?

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 16:01 Quote
sam-rodda wrote:
What weight springs you guys running on your Glorys, and how much you weigh? I'm about 76kg, just looking to get a general guide of what spring I'd be looking at needing.

Also, anyone been able to compare performance between a coil and air Vivid on the Glory, and what would you say was better?

Well i use a 450 i am at 220 lbs... Never use air shock it s suppose to be smooth...

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 17:09 Quote
myanh wrote:
sam-rodda wrote:

Well i use a 450 i am at 220 lbs... Never use air shock it s suppose to be smooth...
wat? I'm 180 and i run a 450 coil....

I've had the the old vivid coil, the new vivid coil, and the old vivid air on my bike. I also have a little bit of time on the new vivid air.

I would rank them: new vivid coil, new vivid air, old vivid air, old vivid coil.

The new vivid coil is by far the best performing, the small bump is insanely good. The new vivid air is almost as good. From my experience the air feels great in rough stuff but feels a bit wierd on fast hardpack such as jump trails like aline. The new one is a lot better than the old one, it has much less of the "flat tire" feeling when cornering on hardpack but its still there a bit.

Personally i would say that the best overall setup is the new vivid coil with a ti spring.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 17:19 Quote
Use this http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx shock stroke is 2.75 and travel is 8in
In my experience with the Vivid Coil on my 2012 Glory and the Vivid Air on my 2013 Glory I liked the air a lot better. But my spring was too stiff on my Vivid Coil and the 2013 Glory is just a better bike in general so I'm sure those two factors contributed.

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 2:28 Quote
OK. I'm pretty amped on the idea of an Air just for ease of adjustment to different tracks and the weight remaining constant, and lighter, as opposed to having to carry a set of springs.

Nobble, you reckon the Air coulda been better on jumpy trails with an increase in the pressure?

Anyone got any view on which is more durable? I broke a coil Vivid a few years ago, and know a few folk that have broken a few of them. Know of one guy breaking a Vivid Air but that was after 1.5 years.

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 6:51 Quote
Not really, it was an inherent issue with the extra friction from the air seals. The shock wad simply less responsive on chattery hardpack.

It's a hard feeling to describe but it kinda feels like you have a flat when cornering. You get that tire roll sensation.

The new one is better but it's still there.

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 12:25 Quote
By 'new' vivid air which do you mean? Is there much difference between the 2013 and 2014 other than tool free adjusters?

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 12:29 Quote
By new i mean 2014.

The 2014 vivids blow the doors off the old ones. The breakaway force and small bump is exponentially better.

Posted: Dec 9, 2013 at 14:25 Quote
spring size on the shock?

Posted: Dec 9, 2013 at 14:31 Quote
2.75" stroke shock

Posted: Dec 20, 2013 at 4:49 Quote
Hi guys.
I am looking to get a 2013/14 glory, I currently have a Transition TR250 in medium and it is to small for me, I am 184cm.
What size would you guys recommend?
Cheer Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011161
Mobile Version of Website