Powered by Outside

E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!
O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
bocomtb wrote:

If you just hate the idea of something with a motor showing up on your local trails, well, we can't help. Maybe you're hung up on a certain definition of a motor?

Hit the nail on the head there

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
You really should be advocating that we ban AXS from local trails.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
I think the problem some people find with ebikes is not the speeds it's the torque from low range ripping trenches in the ground when they are trying to go up downhill sections...you can make a back wheel spin on the spot on a normal bike too if you put the power down but on an ebike it's all too easy to take the piss with little effort and go wrecking the trail.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
If it has a motor, then by definition it is motorized. Call it what you want: E-bike, motorized bicycle, or motorbike. Personally it think they should be called E-moped bikes, and I don’t want a motor and pedals on the same machine. If you want an E-moped bike, go get one and enjoy it. I prefer my gas eating KTM if there is a motor on the bike.
By the way, KTM makes an E-motorbike that will out run that gas eating 450 and Tesla makes electric cars that out run muscle cars. I’ll move over for you on your Moped going uphill if you’ll move over for me going down.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
If it has a motor, then by definition it is motorized. Call it what you want: E-bike, motorized bicycle, or motorbike. Personally it think they should be called E-moped bikes, and I don’t want a motor and pedals on the same machine. If you want an E-moped bike, go get one and enjoy it. I prefer my gas eating KTM if there is a motor on the bike.
By the way, KTM makes an E-motorbike that will out run that gas eating 450 and Tesla makes electric cars that out run muscle cars. I’ll move over for you on your Moped going uphill if you’ll move over for me going down.
AXS.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
Boco , enlighten me on what AXS stands for. Is that what we call E-Moped now?

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
You probably know but ok. AXS is SRAM’s high end drivetrain. Which uses a motor to shift gears. So...wouldn’t you be philosophically opposed to such a thing? Pedals and motor on the same machine after all.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
I would think he’s probably more against the motor being used for propulsion than shifting. A bike with an electric derailleur is not an e-bike in the same way that a car with electric power windows is not an electric car.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
Who f*cking cares what you want!

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:
I would think he’s probably more against the motor being used for propulsion than shifting. A bike with an electric derailleur is not an e-bike in the same way that a car with electric power windows is not an electric car.
I am glad we agree that adding a motor to a bike does not necessarily turn it into a motorbike.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
fuzzhead45 wrote:
I am glad we agree that adding a motor to a bike does not necessarily turn it into a motorbike.

I would agree with that statement but add the clarification that if the motor you add’s primary purpose is propulsion, then that does turn the bike into a motor bike.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
A drivetrain motor DOES make it a motorized bike, electrical shifting does not. And d-man, I said what I don’t want (that is pedals and a motor on the same bike). I’m all for you getting whatever you want and see you live near where my bicycles are from. Rocky makes E-Mopeds, I just don’t want one.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:
bocomtb wrote:
fuzzhead45 wrote:

I would agree with that statement but add the clarification that if the motor you add’s primary purpose is propulsion, then that does turn the bike into a motor bike.
Always happy to help folks clarify their beliefs. Even the irrational ones.

New Levo looks sweet, eh?

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
New Levo looks sweet, eh?

I guess if you’re into spending $15,000 on a moped....

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
As long as people don’t try to ride them up downhill trails and cause collisions then who cares what they ride? But two way traffic on high speed DH sections is a really freakin bad idea, and people who try to climb dedicated DH trails are f*cking stupid regardless of what they ride.

There’s a bunch of clowns posting vid of themselves climbing tech in Squamish on their ebikes lately. They are gonna kill someone or get killed.

Ride whatever you want, just don’t go up shit that people haul ass down.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010448
Mobile Version of Website