Powered by Outside

Lets see those fuel ex's

PB Forum :: Trek
Lets see those fuel ex's
O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2023 at 9:40 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
ICKYBOD wrote:
I can't find a max insertion depth chart for the Gen 6- has anyone seen one- I have an XL and I read those last few posts but I'm not sure it's answering my question - I'd like to run a 210 oneup shortened to 200 or a PNW loam 200 - is there enough insertion depth to drop those to their collar in their full 34.9 size?

IMO I think you'd be silly buying a Aftermarket dropper in 34.9 - theres only a few bikes that use that size.
I strictly use 30.9 and 31.6 regardless as they are waaay easier to sell if need be and you get increased insert.(and/or shim for bigger tube sizes)

I dont see why a 210 wont slam in a XL based on the above persons photos
As others mentioned, many bikes change to 34,9. Personally the question would be more: is the rest of the dropper adapted to it and do you potentially get a more sturdy dropper? The OneUp has the same post, bushings, seatpost collar etc. between 30.9, 31,6 and 34,9mm sizes, so going up to 34,9mm doesn't get you a more sturdy dropper as it does with some other brands. Only advantage is, if you need (and can) slam it, the 34,9mm can be inserted slightly deeper as the collar isn't thicker as with is smaller diameter siblings.

Posted: Jan 4, 2024 at 2:01 Quote
Anyone having issues with headset creaks or ticks ? Gen 6

I'm pretty good at ignoring bike noises but this is starting to get at me.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2024 at 5:27 Quote
BaGearA wrote:
Anyone having issues with headset creaks or ticks ? Gen 6

I'm pretty good at ignoring bike noises but this is starting to get at me.

I had this early on and diagnosed it with success. Pull your fork, and pull the top headset cup to check for grease. There is supposed to be grease between the headset cup and the frame, and the bike came from Trek with no grease. After I greased it the creak went away.

Posted: Feb 22, 2024 at 17:08 Quote
Hi guys this has probably been answered before but haven’t found it, i have trek fuel ex 2019 with the fox reacktiv or whatever its called shock and want to upgrade to a float x i know the size is 210x52.5 but having a hard time finding what the mounting hardware size are supposed to be and the correct pins that i need to buy from trek are since the current shock is trunnion mount, any help is appropriated thanks

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 0:15 Quote
dhinfloridalol wrote:
Hi guys this has probably been answered before but haven’t found it, i have trek fuel ex 2019 with the fox reacktiv or whatever its called shock and want to upgrade to a float x i know the size is 210x52.5 but having a hard time finding what the mounting hardware size are supposed to be and the correct pins that i need to buy from trek are since the current shock is trunnion mount, any help is appropriated thanks

I did this

Just get the hardware from a fuel ex 7 and use the same bolts ( bolts are shared on some rail models )

The hardware i had to make myself , bolts were a pain but did find them after some digging and calling

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 7:26 Quote
BaGearA wrote:
dhinfloridalol wrote:

I did this

Just get the hardware from a fuel ex 7 and use the same bolts ( bolts are shared on some rail models )

The hardware i had to make myself , bolts were a pain but did find them after some digging and calling

Damn was kind of hoping there just a couple of part numbers that i could order and call it a day lol

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 7:34 Quote
dhinfloridalol wrote:
BaGearA wrote:
dhinfloridalol wrote:

I did this

Damn was kind of hoping there just a couple of part numbers that i could order and call it a day lol

There is for the bolts

Mounting hardware you likely have to go dig through some fox documents.

Trek you just go to the exploded diagram

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 8:22 Quote
BaGearA wrote:
dhinfloridalol wrote:
BaGearA wrote:

I did this

There is for the bolts

Mounting hardware you likely have to go dig through some fox documents.

Trek you just go to the exploded diagram

Yeah i found the bolts fron trek just haven’t found the fox mounting hardware

Posted: Mar 31, 2024 at 12:39 Quote
Here's my Fuel EX 9.8 GX AXS. I upgraded to the Maven's.
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 12:49 Quote
Hey all!

I've had the Gen 6 EX for a year now and have 2k miles on it. I've progressed as a rider on this bike and really enjoy it's all around capability. That said, as I push harder when riding (mainly descending) I find myself wanting more stack height and possibly more travel. I have 10mm of additional spacers under my stem and I have my I9 stem oriented to provide an additional 6mm of stack, so 16mm of additional height overall than the stock orientation. My settings are below.

- 150mm fork
- Mino link low
- 15mm sag (Trek calculator recommends 16.2mm)
- Bike weighs 34/35 lbs - NOBL TR37s with full CushCore pro and Exo+ tires (relevant because I'm hoping to compare to a Slash).

I have a few questions for those of you with time on the Gen 6 and hopefully some time on a Slash.

1) For those of you running a 160mm fork, how has the increased front end height positively or negatively impacted riding? I prioritize descending but I'll occasionaly do 30 - 50 mile rides in Pisgah so pedaling/climbing is still relevant in my case.
2) What stem/bar combos are you running and how many spacers underneath? How much have you increased your "stack" height this way?
3) If you have experience with the Gen 6 Slash and Gen 6 EX please share your thoughts on the differences.

For context, I'm contemplating moving to just a Slash altogether, considering adding the Slash as N+1, or keeping the EX and adding a Session. I'd like to spend more time at Rock Creek and Windrock (IYKYK) and although the EX is super capable, there are better bikes for parks like these when you want to push it.

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 3:46 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
Hey all!

I've had the Gen 6 EX for a year now and have 2k miles on it. I've progressed as a rider on this bike and really enjoy it's all around capability. That said, as I push harder when riding (mainly descending) I find myself wanting more stack height and possibly more travel. I have 10mm of additional spacers under my stem and I have my I9 stem oriented to provide an additional 6mm of stack, so 16mm of additional height overall than the stock orientation. My settings are below.

- 150mm fork
- Mino link low
- 15mm sag (Trek calculator recommends 16.2mm)
- Bike weighs 34/35 lbs - NOBL TR37s with full CushCore pro and Exo+ tires (relevant because I'm hoping to compare to a Slash).

I have a few questions for those of you with time on the Gen 6 and hopefully some time on a Slash.

1) For those of you running a 160mm fork, how has the increased front end height positively or negatively impacted riding? I prioritize descending but I'll occasionaly do 30 - 50 mile rides in Pisgah so pedaling/climbing is still relevant in my case.
2) What stem/bar combos are you running and how many spacers underneath? How much have you increased your "stack" height this way?
3) If you have experience with the Gen 6 Slash and Gen 6 EX please share your thoughts on the differences.

For context, I'm contemplating moving to just a Slash altogether, considering adding the Slash as N+1, or keeping the EX and adding a Session. I'd like to spend more time at Rock Creek and Windrock (IYKYK) and although the EX is super capable, there are better bikes for parks like these when you want to push it.

Stack height is personal preference. I like my saddle level with the grips. Rule of thumb is don't go over 30mm with your spacers. Any money spent over 4k I don't think I'd go with a trek. Yeti SB165 C2 is $6300 retail, way better bike imo.Megatower for 5k is another. Pisgah is def worthy of having a 160/170 mm bike.

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 9:07 Quote
johnd2 wrote:
Rule of thumb is don't go over 30mm with your spacers.

I'm curious, where have you heard that one? I've seen a lot of new bikes come stock at 30 mm. When I install a new fork for a customer, I often suggest cutting for 40 mm unless they're sure they like their current geometry (assuming same axle to crown on both forks, of course), so there's a little room to experiment.

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 10:49 Quote
johnd2 wrote:

Rule of thumb is don't go over 30mm with your spacers. [/B].

The fuel EX and many other bikes coming with shorter head tubes you need to run more than that and higher rise bars.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016128
Mobile Version of Website