Powered by Outside

Avid code brakes failure !

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid code brakes failure !
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 11:12 Quote
Sorry, but hayes do suck.
I have one on my DJ bike and it's awful.
One of my good friends bought a brand new kona scrap, the hayes soles that came on it failed within two days.
Also my hack friend has a set which are like braking with an on/off switch. Youre either rolling or skidding, they're sketchy.
I personally will not buy hayes EVER.

Also, on the subject of steriotypes, Kendas suck at downhill. Great for XC, but flimsy and tractionless. Maxxis FTW

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 12:27 Quote
^And i disagree......idk about Soles tho.

I rocked Stroker Trails for 2 years on my Glory. They held up great, never had a serious problem, just needed the occasional bleed. And Kenda tires sucking for DH? Telonix...awesome.....Nevegal....awesome....Excavator-needs proper pressure and straight up mud...i have yet to try out the King of Traction that i just picked up for $15. Razz

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 22:45 Quote
Nobble wrote:
One of my good friends bought a brand new kona scrap, the hayes soles that came on it failed within two days.
Also my hack friend has a set which are like braking with an on/off switch. Youre either rolling or skidding, they're sketchy.

Also, on the subject of steriotypes, Kendas suck at downhill. Great for XC, but flimsy and tractionless. Maxxis FTW

well it looks like hayes and avid suck. SOO no one buy those brands.. Ok whos next?

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 23:57 Quote
i have avid codes 09 and they are awesome, better then all my mates brakes... the only problem i have had is wen i crashed into a tree and broke the little back plate that holds the brake to the bar... (where do you get a new one?) Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 5:42 Quote
AshKinnard wrote:
i have avid codes 09 and they are awesome, better then all my mates brakes... the only problem i have had is wen i crashed into a tree and broke the little back plate that holds the brake to the bar... (where do you get a new one?) Big Grin

Wich plate front or rear ? Do you use sram shifters ? If so did you ever hear of Sram Matchmaker ? Its a backplate that has a mounting for your shifter as well. It is awsome. You can get it at any good lbs or internet store.

Codes are super sweet until they fail. So keep your receip close to your bike. Chances are that your gonna need it.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/images/b/13684.jpg

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 22:12 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
Schism wrote:
people hate on hayes like they hate on kona. most people havent owned one but they still think theyre cool saying how bad they are "well my friend told me about this guy he talked to..."

There's that and there was also when they started/tried making more affordable brake models. People started buying bottom of the line brakes and then complaining that their bottom of the line brake had the reliability and quality of a bottom of the line brake and as such the Hayes name took a bit of a beating.

i actually have some bottom of the line hayes and they work just as well as when i bought them (quite nicely)

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 22:13 Quote
Nobble wrote:

Kendas are quite nice but they wear too fast and pinch flat too easily.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 3:54 Quote
Schism wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Really? Rolleyes

Which model, on what rim and what inner tube plus what psi? At 16 you can't possibly have much experience.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 12:42 Quote
dont want to bitch, but being an owner o a code 2007 and never had issues, except the factory bleed, wich was serviced at my dealer for free

had also hayes 9 hd wich was a great brake back in 2005-2006, and sole (kona hoss stock brake) wich yes, sucked!!!!, but stil, its classified for treking.

ok? treking!!!! not even xc (not saying that you dont need stoping power in xc), so stop bitching about sole, i sold mine for 25 eurosWink

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
I'm rocking Hayes 9s and loving them juicy 7s on my other bike not so much though...

My freinds 6month old Juciy 3s fell apart the other day too...

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 13:22 Quote
Codes this year and last have made bad batches and Avid claims it to be so when you phone them about it. They do however replace your brake or give you alternatives to get a new lever blade assembly.

This year at my shop we have had 4 bad sets of codes go out and Avid has replaced every single one of them or has swapped out the lever assemblies with either Juicy Ultimate or Juicy 7 Lever blade assemblies at little to no cost to the consumer. Other than price inflation from code lever to ultimate or shipping on juicy 7 assembly.

Codes are probably the nicest brakes that I have ever ridden and I have had a set of the Saint m810 brakes with staggered pistons and the codes still fell better. Tonnes of modulation and tonnes of power. Just because you came across a small problem in the lever that you can have replaced for free don't freak out and say you're never going to buy from avid again. Because that would mean no

Avid brakes
Sram Drive train
Truvativ cranks or
RockShox products ever again.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 14:46 Quote
i had avid codes on my dh bike and they NEVER failed they were actually to good kinda scary actually

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 16:38 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
Schism wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Really? Rolleyes

Which model, on what rim and what inner tube plus what psi? At 16 you can't possibly have much experience.

wow f*ck off. nevegals at medium psi, stock tubes and rims on a remix one, got 5+ pinch flats in the back

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 19:10 Quote
Schism wrote:
Rigaud wrote:
Schism wrote:

Really? Rolleyes

-

wow f*ck off. nevegals at medium psi, stock tubes and rims on a remix one, got 5+ pinch flats in the back

Nice choice of words little boy, learn to write some better ones instead of telling off people it shows a lack maturity.

Kenda with DH casings? DH tubes? and landing on rocks will do it.

Edit: Ah ok a Remix as in an XC bike. Guess it depends what your doing with the bike.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 19:33 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
Schism wrote:
Rigaud wrote:

Really? Rolleyes

-

Nice choice of words little boy, learn to write some better ones instead of telling off people it shows a lack maturity.

Kenda with DH casings? DH tubes? and landing on rocks will do it.

Edit: Ah ok a Remix as in an XC bike. Guess it depends what your doing with the bike.

Then which kenda would you ride DH on? I have never once seen a Professional DH Racer use a Kenda tire because they are too flimsy. Kenda tires in recent years have been down graded from which were once their down hill tires to now XC tires which include both Nevegal and blue groove. Age has nothing to do with experience use of product does.

Please to solidify your argument list some of kendas "good" dh worthy tires and your experiences with them other wise you're no better than that "kid" using foul language to get his points across.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016724
Mobile Version of Website