Powered by Outside

Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 20:25 Quote
You hit the nail on the head.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 21:10 Quote
Yeah, I really like the idea, I'm just saying that not all people have them yet, majority are waiting for price drops. I would pick one up if the command post came down in price.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 22:12 Quote
smokinowned wrote:
Yeah, I really like the idea, I'm just saying that not all people have them yet, majority are waiting for price drops. I would pick one up if the command post came down in price.

Yeah, the price is kinda hard to swallow. And if you're taking off a nice lightweight post like a Thomson that looks so nice and never gives you trouble, it makes it harder to make the step to a heavy post that will likely give you trouble at some point down the road (or sooner). But since it's the best invention for bikes since disc brakes, it's a small price to pay. I'll never go without one on my trail bike now. Even riding my hardtail to my friends house down the road pisses me off when I can't move it without stopping. Spoilt rotten.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 1:58 Quote
I'm a family man with 3 bikes constantly in upgrade and breaking shit. I can always find "better" ways to spend $200-300. It is on my wish list, but the only way I'll end up getting one is if it comes on a bike I buy.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 19:24 Quote
kramster wrote:
smokinowned wrote:

Yeah, the price is kinda hard to swallow. And if you're taking off a nice lightweight post like a Thomson that looks so nice and never gives you trouble, it makes it harder to make the step to a heavy post that will likely give you trouble at some point down the road (or sooner). But since it's the best invention for bikes since disc brakes, it's a small price to pay. I'll never go without one on my trail bike now. Even riding my hardtail to my friends house down the road pisses me off when I can't move it without stopping. Spoilt rotten.

Everything you said in the previous post is exactly how I feel about and I don't feel like getting rid of the new Thomson Elite, but there seem to be a lot gained when weighing the pros vs cons. I'm thinking of making a my bike a dual ring, getting an adjust able post, possibly the Reverb, and just keeping the Elite for days when it just DH and FR. That way I don't F-up an expensive post and the Elite will be tried and true.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 11:42 Quote
After having a KS i950 for 2 full riding seasons, I can say that I will never own an XC or all-mountain bike without a dropper post again. The only maintenance I've had to do to the post is to lube the collar by the dust wiper, and I've had nothing but total success with the post.

It's been a bit of a challenge to route the cable so it wasn't getting pinched or dragging on the rear tire but I have now got that figured out and am completely happy with the results.

That new KS post with the stationary cable looks to be the bees knees....we'll just have to see about how it works once it hits the trails...

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 at 7:56 Quote
.................pish!

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 at 13:08 Quote
I have the Joplin 4R and it really does make a big difference on those long XC rides. It's something I probably never would have bought if it hadn't come with my bike, but now that I have one it would be hard to go without it.

They are a bit of a pain though - mine creeps up slightly when dropped all the way down, and I HATE that you can't lift the bike by the seat when it's in the lowered position. There is a tiny bit of slop between the slider post and the barrel (stanchion?) post, but you don't really notice it when riding. I suppose all of those things are more a reflection on the Joplin specifically than on the concept of an adjustable seat post - they really are nice to have but as with anything there are going to be some trade-offs.

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
Get one, find out for yourself.

I bought a Rock Shox reverb while everyone of my rider buddies said it would not be necessary. Imagine living like that... We'd all ride rigid bikes with Alivio components, since more is not really necessary.

I can give you reasons to buy one and not to buy one, but in the end it's up to you. As with all components, there are up and downsides.

Go to your shop, or order one online, mount it and enjoy. Not satisfied? Sell it.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
lets get this discussion going again - I want to try a adjustable seatpost but not sure what to get as each one seems to have issues. So I guess I'm looking for the most reliable / hassle free post - I'm thinking maybe KS but cant decide to go with the remote or the under seat switch. - opinions?

this is what the people from the intrawebz are telling me

joplins - are generally shit (seems to be the common opinion and is backed up by crank bros reputation)
gravity droppers - seem like they might be alright - just heavy and fugly
x- fusion hilo - I have heard nothing about
rockshox reverb - I thought was a good option but upon reading some reviews it sure doesn't sound like it
Specialized command post - cable issues? - I tested one and the remote lever felt like it was going to break
Ks - anyone ?

anyone care to confirm the downfalls or defend the reliability of these seatposts ?

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 14:29 Quote
I bought a specialized command post blacklite. 125mm. I installed it myself, it was pretty easy. It works just as described with zero problems so far. it's been about 15 rides so far, averaging 5-10 miles. I think I chose right because the specialized has three exact heights and I think that's the way to go over infinite adjustment. I mostly use the top two settings and rarely use the bottom setting. So in my case it hasn't been high maintenance at all. You're missing out if you're a trail rider without one.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
I've been considering the Specialized and the Reverb. I was going to wait for the 2012 Reverb since they may have "cured" some of the issues that some have had. Another option I'm considering is waiting for the Fox DOSS that is supposed to come out in 2012. It would be a pricier option but I have total confidence in Fox getting it right. The riding season is just about up so I'm thinking of waiting until next year. Is anyone else waiting for the DOSS?

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 19:14 Quote
Interested in the command post blacklight. Are they lighter than the original command post? curious of the fox post also.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 19:22 Quote
I just read an article in Decline and I believe Specialized made the post lighter and revised a couple of other things. All I know of the DOSS is that its a cable operated 3 setting post. The rep just keeps saying how they have a lot of experience in seals, keeping dirt out shocks, reliability, and that they are expecting it to be competitively priced for 2012. Basically they say what you would expect to hear from a marketing rep.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 22:32 Quote
I use a KS with remote. 6 + months and no issues at all. Originally I wanted the non-remote model, to keep my cocpit clean. But the clamp fits my ODI grips and the on-the-fly adjust is great. I would highly recommend this post. My experience with the crank bros was not good. Gravity Dropper works well too. I just like the KS better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026749
Mobile Version of Website