Powered by Outside

Moose Mountain Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Moose Mountain Thread
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 9:49 Quote
silentj wrote:
Bilirubin5 wrote:
I made one a couple of weeks ago. Starts at the top of Moose Mtn road, ends at Ings Mine parking lot. GPX downloadable from here. Already sent it on to MMBTS

Sweet. surprising how little space it takes up...would sure be nice to have that top kilometer riding in the bush! "Those guys" shoulda put more trail up there....Wink Razz
Big Grin

Was fun to pin it down the road though. I knew we were going pretty fast, but seeing it was nearly 40 kph was a bit of a surprise. And by the end of the trail my switchback technique had improved quite a bit. I'm a pretty inexperienced rider still, but the trail was mostly ridable to me. I hiked two steeper sharper turns (just from lack of nerve), and missed the second of the tight double turn at the very end. And on the collector trail leading to the bridge managed to catapult myself OTB pretty dramatically--glad Jerome didn't have a camera on me.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 10:05 Quote
The starting point of SHAFT will eventually be adjacent to T-dub but will require, I am almost afraid to admit, an uphill to get to where it currently starts. This segment is through mellow, open, flowy terrain and will be an easy build as compared to the exit of SHAFT that required major benching on the steep, decreasing in width exit ridge. The focus was on getting the difficult time consuming parts rip worthy previous to the starting point.

As a quick reminder, the door to get involved with MMBTS and put your input into the direction of Moose mountain is always open. We meet the first Thursday of every month at 7, at the upper level meeting room at MEC, and are always looking for extra help with a plethora of items. That's tomorrow if anyone is down.

Happy trails!

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 11:30 Quote
silentj wrote:
oceanp wrote:
billybilly wrote:
Rode shaft for the first time last night, I'm not sure what I think of it. It seems like the wrong type of trail for the chosen terrain.

And what would you suggest instead?

I see what you're saying billy^2 in that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. The challenge was to add a blue trail to the hill for some depth and to make it as long as possible for maximum fun-nicity. I would expect that there's still enough room on that side of the hill for another SLF/Billy or Jean Guy on the Wess-syde Rocks style trail, but nothing of that nature has been proposed in the 5 year plan. My one run down it had me scoping lots of little dirt booters/hips etc...

Anyone have a GPS track of Shaft?

Given that I know absolutely nothing about trail building, I'd say that SHAFT actually makes really good use of the terrain to make a blue trail. Yeah, it's long and has lots of corners but it seems to me (imho) that it's a very well built trail. It's a nice trail to warm up on and it's great for me to practice my cornering. I look forward to riding it again next year when it's a bit more packed down. Lastly, as an "intermediate" DH rider, it's very nice to have another option to ride at Moose. I find most of the trails there to be pretty tough and I like that the trailbuilders are trying to make options for the rest of us blue-trail lovers Big Grin

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 15:19 Quote
Thought I should mention that on race of spades, at the side by side drop near the bottom of the trail the larger of the two ladders is nearly broken in half. I did not have any way to fix it or mark it while I was there but it is in dire need of a revamp and I wouldn't ride it the way it is.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Thought I should mention that on race of spades, at the side by side drop near the bottom of the trail the larger of the two ladders is nearly broken in half. I did not have any way to fix it or mark it while I was there but it is in dire need of a revamp and I wouldn't ride it the way it is.

Damn. That sucks. I can't get out there for a few days so hopefully someone sees this and can drag some deadfall across the ramp and the trail above to block riders in the meantime. Unfortunately our early building was not as robust as it is now plus those features are in direct sunlight for a lot of the day...ther names are full throttle and Half throttle in case anybody cares about such things.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 21:22 Quote
I would have drug deadfall across but figured anyone ripping top to bottom would be in trouble if I did, and also people would move it and not know why it was there/figure it was a natural blow down.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 21:38 Quote
oceanp wrote:
silentj wrote:
oceanp wrote:

And what would you suggest instead?

I see what you're saying billy^2 in that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. The challenge was to add a blue trail to the hill for some depth and to make it as long as possible for maximum fun-nicity. I would expect that there's still enough room on that side of the hill for another SLF/Billy or Jean Guy on the Wess-syde Rocks style trail, but nothing of that nature has been proposed in the 5 year plan. My one run down it had me scoping lots of little dirt booters/hips etc...

Anyone have a GPS track of Shaft?

Given that I know absolutely nothing about trail building, I'd say that SHAFT actually makes really good use of the terrain to make a blue trail. Yeah, it's long and has lots of corners but it seems to me (imho) that it's a very well built trail. It's a nice trail to warm up on and it's great for me to practice my cornering. I look forward to riding it again next year when it's a bit more packed down. Lastly, as an "intermediate" DH rider, it's very nice to have another option to ride at Moose. I find most of the trails there to be pretty tough and I like that the trailbuilders are trying to make options for the rest of us blue-trail lovers Big Grin

I agree that a blue run on moose is a good idea, I do think that slope was the wrong location for a blue run, as shaft, specifically, will and has required so much dam side hill cutting to make it flow as a blue flow run should.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 3:07 Quote
i think a lot of today's trail building is all about side-hilling and i'm all for it, for a few reasons:

- maximizes trail length for the given vert
- avoiding 'fall line' trail sections preserves the trail from erosion for an easier-to-maintain and longer lasting trail
- slightly uphilling into corners helps people stay off the brakes (trail flow and preservation) and makes for awesome, deep, bermy corners (a la Slunt and Swine Flu of Fernie)

I got to ride SHAFT once during my visit back to Calgary and I can only say 'props' to those involved in securing the grant and permission to build it, laying it out, and building it... it all seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, but I know a huge amount of effort from some dedicated folks went into adding a new trail to the map... the longest one at that (right?)

Also keep in mind that the trail is fresh and basically just 'roughed-in' with the major grunt work completed. There is tons of potential for the trail to develop with natural side hits etc. I think in order to keep the trail as a 'blue' run, the main effort will be benching some of the techier off camber sections as the duff gets stripped... so yes, some work is involved, but that's why we'll all be out at every trail day we can make!

I was stoked on my first ride and i'm looking forward to seeing the trail evolve further.

By the sounds of it, I missed out by not getting a lap on Billy Dog, ... curious to see the innovative water management by SJ.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 8:07 Quote
billybilly wrote:
I agree that a blue run on moose is a good idea, I do think that slope was the wrong location for a blue run, as shaft, specifically, will and has required so much dam side hill cutting to make it flow as a blue flow run should.

I don't really see any other option for doing a blue run on the Ing's Mine side of the hill...it's all just too steep to be a Ushoulda, Brakeless or lower ROS type of trail. Steep terrain + blue designation = benching.

As Moolay mentioned above, there's a meeting tonight at MEC if you want to express your concerns / opinions to MMBTS peeps.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 8:24 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
I would have drug deadfall across but figured anyone ripping top to bottom would be in trouble if I did, and also people would move it and not know why it was there/figure it was a natural blow down.

Fair. It really takes a lot of work to re-direct people from the "this is my trail and I want to ride it how I want to ride it": The key is to make it look un-natural and a lot of work to remove. Lots of sticks and logs in the decking etc...and redirect the riders before the corner to the blue line between those two trees - that would keep is safe for the rippers.

We've always intended the left hand line into those jumps to be solely for the big booter, but people insist on riding in on the left, then over the berm to cross over to the blue line even while it flows so much better riding in all the way on the blue line. arg.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 12:19 Quote
So the ladder for full throttle is broken and unsafe to ride?

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 12:37 Quote
rick88 wrote:
So the ladder for full throttle is broken and unsafe to ride?

Sounds like it. Going to try to get a pass this weekend to rebuild it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 19:59 Quote
silentj wrote:
Sounds like it. Going to try to get a pass this weekend to rebuild it.

Well...Full Throttle is back to it's old self. The lip is within an inch or so of where it used to be, so there should be no drama when hitting it. Though, there were some cows hangin around today so it might be prudent to have a look first. That would be a bad fuggin day to be tenderizing steak in that manner.

The wee tabletopped jump beside the curved skinny just above this was FUBAR, as was Half Throttle, so they're currently becoming one with nature again.

New Full Throttle.

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 21:40 Quote
Very impressed on the new quality of work!! Thats looking awesome and can't wait to send it to the Sky, Nice work JSmile

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 20:08 Quote
Any one from mmbits have any replacement sledge handles someone broke mine on the top of "That Whore" at the stunt i am working on my guess it was Steve"er!!!! I would love some more rocks as i still want the ride in filled in before i open it. Doing a half ass job so "Panky" can be poached was really lame and taking rocks from the stunt to fill in a bomb hole on the ride around just means i will have to haul more from farther away. And there was plenty of dirt available rocks were not needed.

If you break a tool please send me a message or post a heads up i would have brought a replacement THX

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030839
Mobile Version of Website