Powered by Outside

Doea anybody actually sell anything on pink bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Doea anybody actually sell anything on pink bike
Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 20:14 Quote
I've bought maybe 15 items on Pinkbike and I've sold about 15 items. I actually bought my Santa Cruz superlight here on PB from a guy in Michigan, I live in California. I've gotten great deals on everything I've bought, I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy any of the components new from an online store that I've bought from PB. Brakes, bars cranks,and much more. I always try to sell parts athat a very low price, the way I see it is someone else has passed on a good used component for a great deal, then I should do the same for someone else. Like we're all in this together so let's help each other out. I don't know how others look at Buy/Sell but that's the way I choose to see it and it has been so good to me. I'm very grateful to the guys on Pinkbike that have helped me get a really nice bike that I couldn't get without some deals. But it's very important to pass it on it feel. Oh, and if you check the listing service regularly there is a lot of great deals that go fast. Just today I saw a set of $170 bars for $70. Anyways thanks.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
Just wanted to add another point...

Buyers - It costs money to ship things. It costs more money to ship something BIG, and it costs more money to ship something small really FAR. It costs a boatload of money to ship something BIG really FAR. You are not going to get a wheelset or frame all the way across the US for $10. If you live on a tiny island in the South Pacific I would expect you would know that it's going to cost several hundred to ship a wheelset to you.

I am continually astounded by how many buyers still expect me to ship a bike frame to South America for free. Newsflash - it costs $400-600. Most of the frames I sell sell for less than $500. I get so many offers from guys for a $50 item that are worded "will you do $50 shipped?" with no hint whatsoever that they are in New Zealand and it would cost me $150 to ship that item to them.

Sorry for the sorta rant, but this is getting ridiculous.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
Just wanted to add another point...

Buyers - It costs money to ship things. It costs more money to ship something BIG, and it costs more money to ship something small really FAR. It costs a boatload of money to ship something BIG really FAR. You are not going to get a wheelset or frame all the way across the US for $10. If you live on a tiny island in the South Pacific I would expect you would know that it's going to cost several hundred to ship a wheelset to you.

I am continually astounded by how many buyers still expect me to ship a bike frame to South America for free. Newsflash - it costs $400-600. Most of the frames I sell sell for less than $500. I get so many offers from guys for a $50 item that are worded "will you do $50 shipped?" with no hint whatsoever that they are in New Zealand and it would cost me $150 to ship that item to them.

Sorry for the sorta rant, but this is getting ridiculous.

I agree 100% but Pinkbike gives the seller the option to put "local pickup only" 'will ship continental U.S. only" and "will ship worldwide". Granted some people just refuse to read when they make offers but a whole bike shipped UPS ground shouldn't cost any more than $100-$150 at the absolute max. Any time I sell a bike on here I will only do either local pickup, or lower 48 US shipping only and buyer pays shipping.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:
I agree 100% but Pinkbike gives the seller the option to put "local pickup only" 'will ship continental U.S. only" and "will ship worldwide". Granted some people just refuse to read when they make offers but a whole bike shipped UPS ground shouldn't cost any more than $100-$150 at the absolute max. Any time I sell a bike on here I will only do either local pickup, or lower 48 US shipping only and buyer pays shipping.

Oh don't get me wrong, i'll ship anywhere you want me to. Just don't expect me to eat $400 worth of shipping on a $500 frame.

I can ship a complete bike anywhere in the continental US for $85 or less. But once it crosses a border or ocean, all bets are off.

Also, if you don't live in the pacific northwest, "local pickup only" means "no sale". You have to be willing to ship. I can't tell you how many guys i've talked into shipping because they've had their bike listed for A YEAR as "local pickup only" and haven't received a single offer.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 22:40 Quote
I buy and sell to upgrade components on my bike. I would rather sleep something at a low price to give others an opportunity to buy components they couldn't afford to buy new. Trying to squeeze every dime I can is just not they way I choose to do things. They're are times when I need to stick close to my asking price but if someone needs something that I don't use it like to help them justIke other sellers here on Pinkbike have done for me. I'm very grateful to the guys who have sold components at a price I could afford, I wouldn't have most of the parts on my bike if it weren't for others being generous. So I try to pass that on, usually I can but not always.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 7:52 Quote
I have two bikes for sale recently. Both posted on pinkbike, and neither have had a single response. Sure, I'll lower the price etc eventually. But, I posted the exact same ad on Craigslist in my city, and within a day I had messages about one and it was sold a day later. The second, much more expensive bike, has also had a few emails. Still nothing on Pinkbike.

Same situation with a helmet I sold. And come to think of it, the last few bikes I sold the buyers contacted me through Kijiji. So I have successfully sold zero items on pinkbike. All my sales have been through Craigslist or Kijiji - and only at a small discount compared to my asking price.

Are Pinkbike browsers too picky?

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 8:12 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I have two bikes for sale recently. Both posted on pinkbike, and neither have had a single response. Sure, I'll lower the price etc eventually. But, I posted the exact same ad on Craigslist in my city, and within a day I had messages about one and it was sold a day later. The second, much more expensive bike, has also had a few emails. Still nothing on Pinkbike.

Same situation with a helmet I sold. And come to think of it, the last few bikes I sold the buyers contacted me through Kijiji. So I have successfully sold zero items on pinkbike. All my sales have been through Craigslist or Kijiji - and only at a small discount compared to my asking price.

I find Pinkbike buyers to be really picky about the brand, I have a hard time selling the less popular/well known brand bikes/parts in the past.

I just had my second bad experience with the buy and sell this guy "tylerdurden-dh" agreed to sell an fox sls coil, took my paypay money last weekend and i haven't heard from him since. I hope he hasn't pooped the bed but at this point I'm gonna have to find another one.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:

We are lucky in Vancouver, there's also the Squamish and Whistler Mountain Bike Buy/Sell Facebook groups. They are awesome because you have some comfort over the buyer/seller's identity and it makes it easy for meeting up in person on expensive items.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
gramboh wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

We are lucky in Vancouver, there's also the Squamish and Whistler Mountain Bike Buy/Sell Facebook groups. They are awesome because you have some comfort over the buyer/seller's identity and it makes it easy for meeting up in person on expensive items.

Yeah true. I've only been in Vancouver for a year. I lived in Vernon previously, which has a superb riding scene, and even there I did better with craigslist, Kijiji, and castanet (an okanagan news site with a dope classifieds section). I guess us pinkbikers know what we are looking for and are more interested in a crazy deal than a regular person who may not know that pinkbike exists.

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 10:54 Quote
Seems to be a lot of timewasters imo.

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 4:31 Quote
Just sold two bikes in less than 2 weeks one 2015 and one 2016 on pink bike. extremely well maintained bikes with 10 detailed photos off all components and a complex description of their condition. just saw some one trying to sell a 5k carbon bike with 15 words in the ad and 1 shady grainy photo, and they wonder why they don't sell. I wouldnt even bother messaging anyone who cant take the time to take proper photos or describe the bike

It's all about the ad

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
saskparkrider wrote:
Just sold two bikes in less than 2 weeks one 2015 and one 2016 on pink bike. extremely well maintained bikes with 10 detailed photos off all components and a complex description of their condition. just saw some one trying to sell a 5k carbon bike with 15 words in the ad and 1 shady grainy photo, and they wonder why they don't sell. I wouldnt even bother messaging anyone who cant take the time to take proper photos or describe the bike

It's all about the ad

I couldn't agree more. If they're too lazy to take some proper photos and describe the condition they were probably too lazy for maintenance.

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 5:55 Quote
I have bought and sold loads of stuff on ebay and a couple,of bikes and bits on here.... The only problem sometimes is that people seem to expect to high a price for second hand stuff in some cases.

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 2:45 Quote
It's a free to use classifieds...Make it paid and sellers will be keen to sell then.

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 9:33 Quote
Nobody would pay to list things on Pinkbike. Everything would just be listed locally on Craigslist or other shitty classifieds sites. I'm sure Pinkbike is perfectly fine with thousands of people checking the buy/sell for things and their ads reaching that many people.

I've had a lot of luck lately selling things on PB. Sold my DH bike, a DH helmet, and I'm shipping out a wheelset this weekend. I respond to messages within minutes (if I can), answer whatever questions I can, and if somebody wants to meet locally to check out an item - I clear my schedule to try to make it happen. If you're selling something, you need to make yourself available.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020218
Mobile Version of Website