Carbon bars. Raceface sixc, raceface next r or chromag bza

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Carbon bars. Raceface sixc, raceface next r or chromag bza
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 15:00 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
ianwish wrote:
Breaking carbon bars?? Are they running XC bars on knarly enduro events? DH pros are running carbon without issue - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-danny-hart-saracen-myst-2018-bike.htm l

You're the second person mentioning that article. I realize Danny Hart prefers carbon, but from what I've found through my own investigating (I actually reached out to a bunch of professional EWS racers, UCI DH guys and pro freeriders) the majority are choosing to stick to alloy due to fear of them snapping.

Aaron Gwinn and Luca Shaw run carbon. The majority I've seen run carbon.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:
ianwish wrote:
Breaking carbon bars?? Are they running XC bars on knarly enduro events? DH pros are running carbon without issue - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-danny-hart-saracen-myst-2018-bike.htm l

You're the second person mentioning that article. I realize Danny Hart prefers carbon, but from what I've found through my own investigating (I actually reached out to a bunch of professional EWS racers, UCI DH guys and pro freeriders) the majority are choosing to stick to alloy due to fear of them snapping.

Aaron Gwinn and Luca Shaw run carbon. The majority I've seen run carbon.

You are only listing UCI DH folks, which I understand, they do beat the cap out of the bikes unlike most anyone else. However they only need to get down one run as fast as possible. After that run they have technicians that go over everything and dispose of anything questionable and build it new for the next run. EWS riders have to ride full stages from the tops of mountains to the bottom at times and trust the bike will stay together the entire stage. Free-riders have to trust the bar to withstand rampage lines and fest series sized jumps. After talking to various people from each realm of professional mountain biking I found the majority choose to not run carbon, along with several UCI DH racers. All of these riders choose alloy over carbon for fear of them snapping.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 0:04 Quote
Is that fear of snapping but no one has actually snapped them?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
Well I personally know two riders who have snapped their carbon bars (not in a crash, it's possible they were weakened in a previous crash). Of the pro's that I asked only one would admit to snapping their bars, others wouldn't even answer which makes me speculate that they did. Some said they never have or would use carbon as its 'too scary'.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 8:01 Quote
I really like my Enve DH bars.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 20:18 Quote
35 bars should only be carbon as aluminum is way too stiff.
When deda came out w 35, they only produced carbon bars.

Here is a somehow scientific handlebar comparison:
http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/mountain-bike-handlebar-review/

Sixc 35 are pretty much same stiffness as Sixc 31.8
Turbine 35 are stiffer than Sixc 35
Next 35 (no R) are stiffer than Sixc 35

I think Next and Sixc may be exactly the same bar.
Sixc flex more because is quite wider.
Next R and Sixc 35 are exactly the same bar with different finish.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:

You are only listing UCI DH folks, which I understand, they do beat the cap out of the bikes unlike most anyone else. However they only need to get down one run as fast as possible. After that run they have technicians that go over everything and dispose of anything questionable and build it new for the next run. EWS riders have to ride full stages from the...

Ritchie Rude and Sam Hill run carbon bars.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:04 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

You are only listing UCI DH folks, which I understand, they do beat the cap out of the bikes unlike most anyone else. However they only need to get down one run as fast as possible. After that run they have technicians that go over everything and dispose of anything questionable and build it new for the next run. EWS riders have to ride full stages from the...

I wonder how many of us actually ride within 90% of what those guys do. Or even 85%?

I am personally not worried about carnon bars. A few times a year i check all my bars at clamping surfaces for any signs of distress (both alloy and carbon).

Seeing how much shear force it takes to cause a singal impact failure, i am fairly certain i couldnt keep ahold of the bar with one hand anyhow...

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:55 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

I wonder how many of us actually ride within 90% of what those guys do. Or even 85%?

id say about 1% of the pb community actually shreds.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:57 Quote
sosburn wrote:
id say about 1% of the pb community actually shreds.

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

I'm probably within around 7%. I feel like if the bars will survive one run by Aaron Gwinn then they should last me like quite a while.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 9:00 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

I am personally not worried about carnon bars. A few times a year i check all my bars at clamping surfaces for any signs of distress (both alloy and carbon).

Seeing how much shear force it takes to cause a singal impact failure, i am fairly certain i couldnt keep ahold of the bar with one hand anyhow...

I had a friend snap his carbon raceface bars while riding right in front of me. Cleared a jump and landed a but flat and went right into his bike.
No stress marks on his bars prior to the break and the jump was relatively small.

I would argue that the average intermidiate rider riding full out likely has much less finesse than the average pro and is likely to put more strain on bars because of it.

And again, sure some pro's opt to ride with carbon bars, but from what I have read and seen they are taking a risk everytime. Most pro's I asked said they would not risk carbon bars, some definitely said they do.. but would not answer whether or not they have broken bars. Out of fear of jinxing themselves. Doesn't inspire confidence to me.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
And were abouts did the carbon bars fail?

FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 17:07 Quote
I guess I’m just confused because your post mentions the bar options you’re looking at, which are all carbon. Then when we suggest good carbon bars and give our riding impressions. Then you shit all over our carbon suggestions, basically saying all carbon bars are shit and will break. So... um... what do you want us to tell you??

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
onemind123 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

I had a friend snap his carbon raceface bars while riding right in front of me. Cleared a jump and landed a but flat and went right into his bike.
No stress marks on his bars prior to the break and the jump was relatively small.

I would argue that the average intermidiate rider riding full out likely has much less finesse than the average pro and is likely to put more strain on bars because of it.

And again, sure some pro's opt to ride with carbon bars, but from what I have read and seen they are taking a risk everytime. Most pro's I asked said they would not risk carbon bars, some definitely said they do.. but would not answer whether or not they have broken bars. Out of fear of jinxing themselves. Doesn't inspire confidence to me.

If it doeant inspire confidence and you have already made up your mind why are you asking?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015397
Mobile Version of Website