Powered by Outside

Rocky 2022 Altitude Power Play

PB Forum :: eMTB
Rocky 2022 Altitude Power Play
O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 15:02 Quote
Tweeks13 wrote:
I had no end of troubles with mine. I owned it for 15 months and it spent 14 months in the shop and eventually got a refund on it. It was a shame because when it was working it was ace. Wheels were flimsy, (folded the front in half at about 5mph), rear spokes needed constant attention, cones needed tightening constantly, snapped rear triangle, countless electrical faults.

Other than wheels, what problems did you have? Mine hasn’t given me any issues.

Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
Snapped rear triangle. And the bike kept cutting out or running really reduced power levels. It was in and out if the shop replacing bits trying to find the problem. Eventually they put a full set of new electrics and motor in it. That lasted 3 miles before dying again.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
Yikes! Sounds like a nightmare.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 16:56 Quote
og-squid-mtb wrote:
You lost me at the hand guards . lol

Broke my hand on a protruding branch :/ still haven’t put on the guards but I can see the value.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2023 at 6:36 Quote
Tweeks13 wrote:
Snapped rear triangle. And the bike kept cutting out or running really reduced power levels. It was in and out if the shop replacing bits trying to find the problem. Eventually they put a full set of new electrics and motor in it. That lasted 3 miles before dying again.

We’re you using the fast charger (4 amp) or the slow charger (2 amp)?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 21, 2023 at 15:19 Quote
I have 550km on mine since buying it in early October. No problems at all. Charger rips the battery up to charge plenty fast.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2023 at 15:20 Quote
There’s a pet theory going out there that the 4 amp batteries are hard on the tech bits. I’ve used the 2 amp battery without issue.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 13:29 Quote
This bike, a used 160e, 2023 Orbea Wild and Ibis Oso were at the top of the list on my search. I live in Phoenix with a ton of techy rocky climbs and between hearing a lot of these having overheating issues and the very low bottom bracket, I decided to take a pass on it. I have an Oso on the way but will take a look at one of these the next time they do a redesign.

FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 14:16 Quote
AZ-1LE wrote:
This bike, a used 160e, 2023 Orbea Wild and Ibis Oso were at the top of the list on my search. I live in Phoenix with a ton of techy rocky climbs and between hearing a lot of these having overheating issues and the very low bottom bracket, I decided to take a pass on it. I have an Oso on the way but will take a look at one of these the next time they do a redesign.

To be honest, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those bikes. I’d love to compare the new Wild to my Altitude and although I’m not a huge fan of the looks of the Oso, from the reviews it’s actually extremely capable and lighter than it looks. I also love the design of the Yeti, but an aging motor and huge price tag would make me wait to see if they redesign the v.2 in the future.

I haven’t had any big problems with bottom bracket height, just a couple of clunks on rocky stuff. The main problem was the 170mm crank arms on technical climbs, anymore pedal strikes and I’m pretty sure I’d snap a pedal off. Solved that problem by fitting 165mm cranks and changing the ride4 setting, pretty sure they should have gone with 165mm cranks as standard on all sized bikes.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 15:34 Quote
165s do the trick. A bunch of guys I ride with have the Altitude PP and everyone switched to 165s.

FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 3:19 Quote
That is exactly the same bike I am about to buy. One question... Can you mullet this bike? Worthwhile?

FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 4:46 Quote
acayuela wrote:
That is exactly the same bike I am about to buy. One question... Can you mullet this bike? Worthwhile?

Overall it's a great bike. Loads of power from the motor so you can climb anything (if you watch your pedal stroke) and it's true that it doesn't feel as heavy when you're riding it. The battery life is excellent, I've easily managed 40+ miles with about 30% remaining on numerous rides using all but Ludicrous mode.
It's really easy to clean out the motor because the cover is removable allowing you to get in with a stiff bristled brush before re-lubing your chain.

Downsides.

Don't over tighten the motor cover, the top hole splits very easily. I wouldn't mullet the alloy version, cranks are too long and you're limited to only using Race Face Cinch cranks (probably the biggest downside of the entire bike). The speed sensor sometimes gets dirty and you lose drive unless you switch off and on again, it's happened a few times for me. It's annoying the bike needs to be updated at a dealership, I'm just about to take mine in for its first update after owning it since April 2022.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:07 Quote
acayuela wrote:

I mulleted mine while running 165 cranks. I also run a 2.8 rear tire which helps keep the bottom bracket height from scraping the ground. I think it's awesome in mullet form. If you get the carbon version, you can purchase a mullet link, but I think the Ride 4 allows for enough adjustment.

FL
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 8:00 Quote
One question, the rear hub has to be centerlock? The owner of my local shop has told me that o need an adaptor to use a 6 bolt hub because of the magnets... Is this true? 1

Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 8:46 Quote
acayuela wrote:
One question, the rear hub has to be centerlock? The owner of my local shop has told me that o need an adaptor to use a 6 bolt hub because of the magnets... Is this true? 1

Yes, its true. You need to get the 6 bolt speed sensor magnet, and a traditional 6 bolt to CL adapter will not work. I wish they included both with the bike, it would make life a lot easier.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011673
Mobile Version of Website