How much longer with PB as we know it last?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
How much longer with PB as we know it last?
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
Without change we wouldnt have what we do today.

However, forums & mags are kinda dead compared to 10 years ago - PB must evolve to stay relevant even if its not apparent yet.
But doing stupid Shows like they did with the high roller bike vs "sh1t" is not the right way and was waaay out of touch.

Evens MTB saga on YT did a way higher production value and in touch version and it was excellent.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 19:26 Quote
jake28 wrote:
Best Quote on PB - ever.

Thanks! Let it not be said that a liberal arts education is totally useless.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2022 at 20:30 Quote
ZipTheDog wrote:
DirtRag is dead. Bike is dead. Beta is dead. Maybe PB is dead too, and just doesn't realize it yet.

(But I hope Outside refunds my Beta subscription, Probably not, though. I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing at this point.)

{Edit - I see Outside paywalled VeloNews as well]

This is my big problem. I just renewed my Beta subscription ($50 for 4 issues!) and they killed it off with zero warning. Just took my f**king money and ran.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
jblaski wrote:
ZipTheDog wrote:
DirtRag is dead. Bike is dead. Beta is dead. Maybe PB is dead too, and just doesn't realize it yet.

(But I hope Outside refunds my Beta subscription, Probably not, though. I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing at this point.)

This is my big problem. I just renewed my Beta subscription ($50 for 4 issues!) and they killed it off with zero warning. Just took my f**king money and ran.

You could try recovering through your credit card

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
jblaski wrote:
ZipTheDog wrote:

Mine too.

"As a 20+ year subscriber to Bike Magazine, I was excited to see it resuscitated in the form of Beta and immediately subscribed. After experiencing the absolute total lack of customer service given by Outside Magazine (6 emails and counting to get one simple question answered) along with the total impossibility of actually reaching a human being at any Outside-owned company, I now see that, while the writers of Bike may have moved to Beta, the soul of Bike did not. Beta is simply the mtb chapter of Outside. That's not a compliment"

I posted that when the Outside acquisition of PB happened.
When they killed off Beta after less than a year, I hoped at least the online Beta would continue. Apparently not. (no new content since)
Congratulations Outside, you've eclipsed backcountry.com (google what they did) as the biggest POS corporate a$$holes to ever grace the outside recreational world.

I hope everyone here at PB has their resumes updated.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
Man, been on here since 2000!
I've noticed that since the Outside takeover I hardly ever come here anymore
Not sure why??

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
Test - will anyone even see this?

What's remarkable are all of the dead links and incorrect content strewn across the outside+ pages - I just bought a membership (on sale, thankfully, and it will get me trailforks which is useful...) with the intention of also paying the extra dough to get paper copies of Beta.

We're now in a world where magazines can't exist. I'm a relic because I wanted to buy one.

Video only, and next up I guess we'll visit "pinkbike hq" in the metaverse... once they vacuum it up.

I find it a little ironic that Outside has a "new!" icon by their "NFT" link at the top.... is there nobody left at the plant to shut off the switch? It's embarrassing. What's next, guest columns by Elon? Maybe twitter is going to buy it all..

Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
If Pinkbike keep deleting comments that don't fit their agenda Elon might get interested, you never know. Maybe that's why they do it, are Outside hoping to cash out now they've realised their subscription model isn't going to make them rich? lol

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
There are people watching the forums? How? For free?!

I wonder what the staff of the magazines are doing for money. What I sense is that if you want to write creative content or report news, you're worth about .10 of what you once were. It can't be sold. Have you the high end in video or maybe blog-style formats like PB, and then the low-end writing, grinding for 10 different places for $5/article, with no understanding or background in any of it?

Quality is lost. At least the PB video series/bike reviews/etc. are pretty good.

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
Update: Back in June, Jake said he'd look into things and get me that rebate. No surprise, it never happened. Haven't heard from him since. Par for the course I guess.

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
jake28 wrote:
barp wrote:
I'm late to see this thread, but I'd answer the title question with a quote from Heraclitus:

"You cannot step in the same river twice."

In other words, all things are always changing.

Best Quote on PB - ever.

"Update: Back in June, Jake said he'd look into things and get me that rebate. No surprise, it never happened. Haven't heard from him since. Par for the course I guess."

I prefer this one. tup

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
Interesting points and unfortunate experience. I too signed up for the print edition of BETA just before things went bust.

Ugh, the metaverse. Gross.

J-oryx wrote:
Test - will anyone even see this?

What's remarkable are all of the dead links and incorrect content strewn across the outside+ pages - I just bought a membership (on sale, thankfully, and it will get me trailforks which is useful...) with the intention of also paying the extra dough to get paper copies of Beta.

We're now in a world where magazines can't exist. I'm a relic because I wanted to buy one.

Video only, and next up I guess we'll visit "pinkbike hq" in the metaverse... once they vacuum it up.

I find it a little ironic that Outside has a "new!" icon by their "NFT" link at the top.... is there nobody left at the plant to shut off the switch? It's embarrassing. What's next, guest columns by Elon? Maybe twitter is going to buy it all..

Posted: Oct 18, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
I was all in on the Outside+ subscription.. picked Outside and Beta as my two mags. When Outside killed Beta and didn't offer a replacement, I cancelled... I'm out on general principle. I would have gone with Trail Runner. LONG LIVE PINKBIKE! .. but I don't have much faith. The Outside feed looks like it swinging toward Triathlons and Yoga.

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
So 3 months later, still no rebate and radio silence. I don't know if you can call them liars on their own website, so I won't.

Oh, I DO get a copy of Outside magazine every few months. I never ordered it, so it goes in the trash unread. Thanks, Outside.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013260
Mobile Version of Website