Powered by Outside

Change my Kona Coiler for a Specialized Big Hit?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Change my Kona Coiler for a Specialized Big Hit?
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 6:59 Quote
Ebay is you're best bet mate.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
marquis wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
marquis wrote:

coiler has 3:1 on leverage except on 07 onwards they changed it to 2.8:1 or near enough.

also chaingrowth is actually very similar on both bighit and coiler.

Are you sure about the chaingrowth? The coilers axle path is primarily forward arching, and I will agree, the bighits is to, but It was my understanding that the difference from start to finish was only 5mm or something whereas most of conas bikes are around 15mm? Perhaps I am way off, just kinda throwing that out there.

Looks like the bighit has a better compression ratio slightly more than 6" travel, and very comparable compression ratio even when in the 8" mode. Those things alone would point me towards the bighit.

according to linkage the bighit's chaingrowth is bigger by 1.9mm but would be understandable due to the greater travel.

I may have possibly been thinking about chaingrowth on a stab, my badBeer

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
marquis wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

Are you sure about the chaingrowth? The coilers axle path is primarily forward arching, and I will agree, the bighits is to, but It was my understanding that the difference from start to finish was only 5mm or something whereas most of conas bikes are around 15mm? Perhaps I am way off, just kinda throwing that out there.

Looks like the bighit has a better compression ratio slightly more than 6" travel, and very comparable compression ratio even when in the 8" mode. Those things alone would point me towards the bighit.

according to linkage the bighit's chaingrowth is bigger by 1.9mm but would be understandable due to the greater travel.

I may have possibly been thinking about chaingrowth on a stab, my badBeer

no worries.Beer

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
A big hit's suspension pedals well enough, really well actually - it's the angles that make climbing tough. Quite slack. You'll fall off the back and wheelie a lot. It's a compromise as always. It more than pays off for the DH part of the ride.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 15:51 Quote
superl8 wrote:
A big hit's suspension pedals well enough, really well actually - it's the angles that make climbing tough. Quite slack. You'll fall off the back and wheelie a lot. It's a compromise as always. It more than pays off for the DH part of the ride.

I have yet to ride one of the newer bighits, mines an '05 and its got that ridiculous rear end that will only take a 24" rear wheel, that only makes matters worse, and she gets caught up pretty harsh in some terrain such as big roots that happen to be laying just the right way. That's the only thing I will complain about with my bighit, and you quickly learn the limitations of the 24, which are really only minor. Now when I am riding I don't even feel the difference, I can stay out of places I know will be trouble just as good as anyone can pick a normal line.

I find the two that I've ridden ('03 & '05) both pedal decently well; there were some minor changes between '03 and '05 and I would say the '05 pedals a little better, but neither were horrible. I really should get on one of the new ones for a little spin, the problem is where I am living for school there is little to no freeride/dh activity.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016387
Mobile Version of Website