Powered by Outside

Repaired (re-welded) frame bought unknowingly - What Now?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Repaired (re-welded) frame bought unknowingly - What Now?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 21:09 Quote
Finding where he lives is not an option because I feel that would make me worse than him. He actually emailed asking to meet at a shop to have someone look over the frame and said if they said it was repaired he would exchange it for the money. Now he just sent another email retracting the offer and saying to bad, the laws on my side. So that is where it sits, i'm looking into other options. I can prove he posted the ad with all the details about the repair and then changed it later deleting the details so that gives me some hope. I just thought I could trust a local guy, he shook my hand and I guess I thought that still meant something. Sounds sappy, I know. I'm pretty pissed so guess I'll start by posting in the scammers section, he said he will post a reply so this should be good. I can't wait for people to hear how he justifies this.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
photo

This is what the issue is.
Look near the top where all the paint is burnt and the the big scabby welds are. All the welds go right underneath and are just as ugly. Part of the material is also melted away because the welder was turned up to hot. Welding right over the paint means it is contaminated with god knows what as well. They teach you in high school shop that the area has to be clean.

Just to be clear I'm not saying he welded it or that it was welded when he owned it just that he covered it up and hid it before selling. By the way it was all painted over when I bought it but the seller says that was "just for fun" not to cover anything up.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
Oh, that sucks that it is a Specialized, because their warranty frame replacement program is rock solid. It probably would have been replaced pretty easily. Sorry to hear of all your troubles, man. Best wishes.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 6:33 Quote
God you need to be dumb to weld over paint. That weld won't hold long i'm pretty sure.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:29 Quote
Shops sell you items for as cheap as we can,

what a joke!

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
God you need to be dumb to weld over paint. That weld won't hold long i'm pretty sure.
Duh! I don't even know the difference between a blowtorch and a welder but I know to clean the area either way!

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:
Duh! I don't even know the difference between a blowtorch and a welder but I know to clean the area either way!

Doesn't matter lol, i'm sure you're smart enough to at least clean, sand and prep the surface before welding it again.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
I don't know anyone who isn't, cept maybe this kid who admits to his face being the third funniest thing ever........ lol, I think you should see what the bike brand can do for ya! is it a specialized?

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:43 Quote
bc-biker wrote:
photo

Look near the top where all the paint is burnt and the the big scabby welds are. All the welds go right underneath and are just as ugly. Part of the material is also melted away because the welder was turned up to hot. Welding right over the paint means it is contaminated with god knows what as well. They teach you in high school shop that the area has to be clean.

Just to be clear I'm not saying he welded it or that it was welded when he owned it just that he covered it up and hid it before selling. By the way it was all painted over when I bought it but the seller says that was "just for fun" not to cover anything up.

my freind cracked his demo in the same spot and still rode it. he checked it every ride and it never got worse. his wasnt welded either. you should be good

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:47 Quote
nishnash wrote:
I don't know anyone who isn't, cept maybe this kid who admits to his face being the third funniest thing ever........ lol, I think you should see what the bike brand can do for ya! is it a specialized?

I'm 99% sure they would tell you to go to a bike shop and get a new bike if you want a warranty.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
There are some brands with amazing customer service (fox and Cove come to mind) They are empathetic to people who have been ripped of, search the user Kage and ask him about his experience with Cove, and my bud broke his DHX 5 on an A-Line because his seatpost was to low. They replaced it for free!

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
bc-biker wrote:
photo

While I agree that no one should be selling a welded frame as it is somewhat deceitful, I think this is all a little bit of sour grapes on your part. Painted or not, you obviously didn't check the frame that closely. That weld is as clear as day.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
I agree that good customer service keeps people buying their products, but is a bike company gave warranty service to second hand bike buyers the dealers would get pissed off.

If used bikes have factory warranties, why would people want to pay more for a new one?

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
Looks fine. I'd just ride it. Don't worry so much. If your really concerned find out the exact alloy and fishplate it or add a gusset in that hole - kind of a busy junction of tubing - I bet special-ed sees plenty of that same breakage. I see you're in Vernon. I just moved here - Let's ride!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020921
Mobile Version of Website