Powered by Outside

Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
stryke wrote:
it doesnt have a 67 degree head angle when you use 35-40% of travel for the vpp to feel good

Hmm, didn't think about that, was just considering the geo listed on their website. however, the same argument could be made for all bikes, that the HA will slacking as the bike sits in it's sag.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
i say go with the jedi!!!

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:17 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
yeah like i said more than once now, I DONT WANT A SINGLE PIVOT i am in no way bad mouthing them but i want a plow bike. something i can hit square hits with and not worry. i have owned 3 single pivot bikes and one vpp. even with this shorter travel vpp bike i like the suspension more.

i think you need to learn how to setup your bike correctly, youre putting down so many good bikes because of this

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
I agree, single pivot can be one hell of a bike when set up correctly. Is it a coincidence that the 224 was the most podium'd bike at the NPS in the UK this year?

If you're so adamant about not getting one. Look at the Last downhill frame. It's got some fancy rear wheel paths, and techy linkage.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
stryke wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
yeah like i said more than once now, I DONT WANT A SINGLE PIVOT i am in no way bad mouthing them but i want a plow bike. something i can hit square hits with and not worry. i have owned 3 single pivot bikes and one vpp. even with this shorter travel vpp bike i like the suspension more.

i think you need to learn how to setup your bike correctly, youre putting down so many good bikes because of this

maybe i do need to learn how to set it up but even if i completely suck (which i don't) at setting up suspension that would mean i set up my vpp suspension crappy too. so with it feeling better then imagine if i "knew how to set up suspenion".

and honestly, who cares who won in the UK on what bike.
if your going that route, the shocker took the canadian cup, the US was dominated by specialized demo's, the world cup (most important) was dominated by iron horse sundays and v10's. none of these bikes are single pivot.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO TALK ME INTO SINGLE PIVOTS. IF THATS THE ONLY SUGGESTION YOU HAVE THEN POST SOMEWHERE ELSE. THEY ARE NOT BAD BIKES I JUST DON'T WANT TO RIDE ONE!!!

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
Quick question. If you're so into finding a plow bike, how do you expect it to be able to jump/huck?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
stryke wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:

maybe i do need to learn how to set it up but even if i completely suck (which i don't) at setting up suspension that would mean i set up my vpp suspension crappy too. so with it feeling better then imagine if i "knew how to set up suspenion".

if your going that route, the shocker took the canadian cup, the US was dominated by specialized demo's, the world cup (most important) was dominated by iron horse sundays and v10's. none of these bikes are single pivot.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO TALK ME INTO SINGLE PIVOTS. IF THATS THE ONLY SUGGESTION YOU HAVE THEN POST SOMEWHERE ELSE. THEY ARE NOT BAD BIKES I JUST DON'T WANT TO RIDE ONE!!!

the commencal is a linkage actuated single pivot if it makes you feel any better. not that you'd be able to notice the difference between square edged hits on any of the bikes you want

sounds like you want something unique what you can talk about rather then something what would fit your needs

FL
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:03 Quote
Get a Giant Glory DH
Giant Glory 0 or Giant Glory 1
Giant Reighn X0 or X1 or X2

Giant are Amazing bikes for a great price and have worked amazing for me

photo

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
stryke wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
stryke wrote:

the commencal is a linkage actuated single pivot if it makes you feel any better. not that you'd be able to notice the difference between square edged hits on any of the bikes you want

sounds like you want something unique what you can talk about rather then something what would fit your needs

you got me, i just post up here to feel cool. i don't actually ride my bike.

dang man, i don't want to ride the bike that you do, give it up.

and the other guy who said how am i going to have a huck bike that is also a plow bike... i have no idea. wishful thinking?
i know the socom jumps really well, i have ridden my friends. also the article in decline said the shocker jumped really well and was very stable.

might have a hook up for a jedi now so looking into that.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
Stryke- Your a di&k and that comment doesn't really help out too much. How about you give your advice on what bike and shut up.

IMO the Shocker seems like the best (and only) bike to choose out of your list. Bike is taylor made for steeps and tech so the handling is spot on there.
As far as durability, it will be far more durable than the Soccom. Also if you get a Sunday, when 2010 comes around it's going to be more difficult to find replacement parts for the bike.
Since your buying used, Soccom and Canfield are going to be pretty hard to find. This leaves Soccom and Shocker, but if you want your target weight to be 43 lbs and want the bike to be durable, the shocker will be the best way to go.
Also, you should really consider the Glory. Not single pivot, really capable plow bike and handles the gnar. Plus if your buying one used they are usually pretty abundant on here and you can save some $$$.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Stryke- Your a di&k and that comment doesn't really help out too much. How about you give your advice on what bike and shut up.

im sorry for thinking that ruling out so many good bikes because of some magical increase in performance over square edged hits is stupid.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:14 Quote
stryke wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

im sorry for thinking that ruling out so many good bikes because of some magical increase in performance over square edged hits is stupid.

Is this your choice in bikes? No. So it doesn't matter if you think a single pivot would be much better. He gave the bikes he wanted and said no single pivots, so it doesn't matter what you think is "stupid"

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
You don't mention which kind of terrain you ride and weather you are going to race or not. But if it was up to me i would buy the socom, however this is only a worth while investment if you are going to look after it like its your child and if you have money to fix it (remember that it is a FRO frame). If you are riding bigger longer tracks (world cup tracks) or a mix of free-ride i would recommend the shocker as it has more travel and is one burly frame. I wouldn't buy a canfield as they are a pretty small company and therefore due to the current economics might have financial difficulty which can in turn affect warranty. Other bikes i would recommend is the Glory (cheap, easy to run and will survive being run over by a tank, downside being it weighs a lot), or perhaps a Nox if you are looking for something a little different. (German=good quality, have interesting frame designs with good suspension and look like sex in metal).

Hope this might have helped you out a little,

Jp

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
prudent wrote:
You don't mention which kind of terrain you ride and weather you are going to race or not. But if it was up to me i would buy the socom, however this is only a worth while investment if you are going to look after it like its your child and if you have money to fix it (remember that it is a FRO frame). If you are riding bigger longer tracks (world cup tracks) or a mix of free-ride i would recommend the shocker as it has more travel and is one burly frame. I wouldn't buy a canfield as they are a pretty small company and therefore due to the current economics might have financial difficulty which can in turn affect warranty. Other bikes i would recommend is the Glory (cheap, easy to run and will survive being run over by a tank, downside being it weighs a lot), or perhaps a Nox if you are looking for something a little different. (German=good quality, have interesting frame designs with good suspension and look like sex in metal).

Hope this might have helped you out a little,

Jp

i thought i did mention what riding i would be doing in my first post. steep, rocky, loose, huck filled, fast runs. so FRX/DH.
although canfield is a small company its only 20 min from my house so i don't think warranty issues would be a problem, however buying used like i do it usually voids the warranty anyway.
thanks for the usefull imput. im seriously looking into the shocker. i have my slopestyle for more smooth runs so a straight up plow bike seems to be a logical buy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013707
Mobile Version of Website