SORRY TO FRANK THE WELDER

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SORRY TO FRANK THE WELDER
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 16:19 Quote
SAINT CRANKS ARE ALSO GOOD

FL
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 16:47 Quote
this is a stupid thread it was obviously not franks falt. there have only been 3 brocken r9s including this one. one was cracked at the headtube from one of their racers going full speed straight into a tree and one was broke at killington launching a jump way to big onto a road that was like 30 feet down to flat and that only droke one seatstay

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
ezekiel, some heat treated pieces of aluminum would be more likely to crack than a piece that wasn't, however it is likely that a tube such as that would still bend and not crack regardless of heat treatment (there are different types of heat treating, some change the properties of the material and some normalize the material, back to its regular state after being welded or heated from something else). Leverage has nothing to do in determining if a piece cracks or bends, that is determined by the type of force put into the piece. Something that is subject to many fast loads such as vibrations is likely to crack, whereas something that is subject to single, high duration loads at a slower velocity if you will is more likely to bend. So, something like a joint that is supported in more than one way so it is able to withstand large smooth forces would probably survive until you reached the materials yield strength. If you take the same joint and subject it to thousands of smaller forces it will crack before it deflects. This is the reason the seat mast has bent and not cracked, it saw smoother forces at a weight that exceeded the yield strength. If you had of dropped half the weight on it a whole bunch of times really fast it would have likely cracked.

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
Thank you for the explanation and it makes sense now. Admittedly I'm use to the properties of steel, not so much those of aluminum.

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
ezekiel, some heat treated pieces of aluminum would be more likely to crack than a piece that wasn't, however it is likely that a tube such as that would still bend and not crack regardless of heat treatment (there are different types of heat treating, some change the properties of the material and some normalize the material, back to its regular state after being welded or heated from something else). Leverage has nothing to do in determining if a piece cracks or bends, that is determined by the type of force put into the piece. Something that is subject to many fast loads such as vibrations is likely to crack, whereas something that is subject to single, high duration loads at a slower velocity if you will is more likely to bend. So, something like a joint that is supported in more than one way so it is able to withstand large smooth forces would probably survive until you reached the materials yield strength. If you take the same joint and subject it to thousands of smaller forces it will crack before it deflects. This is the reason the seat mast has bent and not cracked, it saw smoother forces at a weight that exceeded the yield strength. If you had of dropped half the weight on it a whole bunch of times really fast it would have likely cracked.

well said. except, with the material in the condition it is, it's modulus of elasticity (ability to return to original shape) is completely gone. Any deflection made is permanent, in other words, it is like soft lead with no spring at all.

Jason, don't stress over this. I know you want to ride so lets just drop it an move on.. OK? I am pretty sure it is screwed completely but if you want me to take measurements and see, I will do it. I can't make a new swingarm yoke and don't have any more. if that is shot, you are out of luck. shoot me a PM,. I am not is a good mood over this so don't expect me to be nice.. F

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 17:55 Quote
frankthewelder wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

well said. except, with the material in the condition it is, it's modulus of elasticity (ability to return to original shape) is completely gone. Any deflection made is permanent, in other words, it is like soft lead with no spring at all.

Jason, don't stress over this. I know you want to ride so lets just drop it an move on.. OK? I am pretty sure it is screwed completely but if you want me to take measurements and see, I will do it. I can't make a new swingarm yoke and don't have any more. if that is shot, you are out of luck. shoot me a PM,. I am not is a good mood over this so don't expect me to be nice.. F

Material will only see permanent deflection if you have exceeded its yield strength. Inside it's yield strength this would not have happened. Once you have done this, all properties are screwed.

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 18:35 Quote
Let me get this straight:

You bought a USED, and RUINED frame for 100euro with a bunch of parts. The frame was ruined due to negligent paint modification from the previous owner.

You contacted the manufacturer to try to provide YOU with a warranty or a fix, and LIED to them about being the original owner.

Please explain exactly what part of all that entitles you to anything? Also explain why Frank/Sinister should warranty this, and why it is anything beyond user error? The fact that Frank is even willing to help you with the measurements is above and beyond what he should be doing.

You tried to weasel your way into getting free work/product from them, and now you cry foul about it? It's probably a good thing that I'm not Frank, because I would go out of my way to publicly embarrass you for trying to pull that crap. If this were anything besides mountain bikes, that would be called libel and slander.

Is that or is that not exactly what is happening? If it isn't, please correct me where needed. I want to know, and so does everyone else watching this thread.

I have 2.5 full years of riding on my R9. I have done some pretty horrible shit to that frame, and it has given me absolutely no issues at all. I think I've gotten just about every other component of the bike to fail at some point, EXCEPT the frame. Trust me, Frank knows exactly what is required of a DH frame for years of hard use.

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
It's funny that on a site full of the dumbest 12-15 year olds on the net (I mean seriously, most pb kids are duuummmbbbb) that by far one of the stupidest posts I've read are by a 24 year old guy.

Way to go champ, I hope you're proud of yourself now.

ps. Post pics of your repaired frame...honestly i doubt that actually happened.

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
michael-scott wrote:
It's funny that on a site full of the dumbest 12-15 year olds on the net (I mean seriously, most pb kids are duuummmbbbb) that by far one of the stupidest posts I've read are by a 24 year old guy.

Way to go champ, I hope you're proud of yourself now.

ps. Post pics of your repaired frame...honestly i doubt that actually happened.

tup Hit the nail on the head. How about let's not treat these guy's that make us our awesome bikes like sh*t when we screw up??

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 0:54 Quote
OK i would like to publicly apologise to frank the welder , obviously by looking at the bikes you are very good at what you do.
It is just me being a doosh bag.
Also sinster28 you have this all wrong i contacted frank and asked how much he wanted to repair it and if it can be repaired , warranty was not mentioned in the email as this is a 4 year old frame you would not get warranty replacements anyway.
I will post pics of the repair when i get it back from being painted.
SO to anybody i offended sorry.

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 16:09 Quote
heavy-dhiller wrote:
OK i would like to publicly apologise to frank the welder , obviously by looking at the bikes you are very good at what you do.
It is just me being a doosh bag.
Also sinster28 you have this all wrong i contacted frank and asked how much he wanted to repair it and if it can be repaired , warranty was not mentioned in the email as this is a 4 year old frame you would not get warranty replacements anyway.
I will post pics of the repair when i get it back from being painted.
SO to anybody i offended sorry.

thanks, apology accepted, no worries.

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 7:59 Quote
sinister28 wrote:
Let me get this straight:

You bought a USED, and RUINED frame for 100euro with a bunch of parts. The frame was ruined due to negligent paint modification from the previous owner.

You contacted the manufacturer to try to provide YOU with a warranty or a fix, and LIED to them about being the original owner.

Please explain exactly what part of all that entitles you to anything? Also explain why Frank/Sinister should warranty this, and why it is anything beyond user error? The fact that Frank is even willing to help you with the measurements is above and beyond what he should be doing.

You tried to weasel your way into getting free work/product from them, and now you cry foul about it? It's probably a good thing that I'm not Frank, because I would go out of my way to publicly embarrass you for trying to pull that crap. If this were anything besides mountain bikes, that would be called libel and slander.

Is that or is that not exactly what is happening? If it isn't, please correct me where needed. I want to know, and so does everyone else watching this thread.

I have 2.5 full years of riding on my R9. I have done some pretty horrible shit to that frame, and it has given me absolutely no issues at all. I think I've gotten just about every other component of the bike to fail at some point, EXCEPT the frame. Trust me, Frank knows exactly what is required of a DH frame for years of hard use.

Hi guys,just thought i'd let you know that Jason has tried to rip me off with this on the Bay,Luckily I copied all the posts on here that I read after buying the junk!.
He has now edited all his original posts today and just written any old crap as you can see if you look through.I have opened a dispute with PayPal and he has already relisted it! No refund yet and denied everything at first.Cant believe anyone would try to pass on this bodged up junk.Glad I was made aware of the history before he sent it out,I paid £200 thinking it was genuine! how far out was I!!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
That's ridiculous.

If I had the extra money laying around I'd just buy the frame for the extra rear end parts and toss the front.

Does he have pictures of it up with the collapsed seat tower?

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 17:23 Quote
sinister28 wrote:
That's ridiculous.

If I had the extra money laying around I'd just buy the frame for the extra rear end parts and toss the front.

Does he have pictures of it up with the collapsed seat tower?

I'm pretty sure it was decided a little while ago that someone butchered the powder coating or some sillyness like that and baked the frame for to long and got it to hot, pretty much turns aluminum (certain grades) into silly putty when they are annealed after being heat treated once.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027524
Mobile Version of Website