My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 11:17 Quote
Thanks, i think a have linseed oil somewhere in the kitchenBig Grin

Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 14:05 Quote
stefan-ram wrote:

I hope it isn't in the kitchen... used usually for sealing wood and making varnishes, etc.... Wink

Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 14:35 Quote
neex wrote:
stefan-ram wrote:

I hope it isn't in the kitchen... used usually for sealing wood and making varnishes, etc.... Wink
i thought its the eating oil Facepalm

Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 14:41 Quote
stefan-ram wrote:
neex wrote:
stefan-ram wrote:

i thought its the eating oil Facepalm

...no. Linseed oil is definitely not for eating.

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 9:55 Quote
I'm about to order alot of spokes and I'd like to know what make you choose the spokes you choose when building a wheel? or for people who are looking for someone to build a wheel, would you insiste on particular brand/model or would you trust the builder to suggest or choose something good?

I'm asking that because I'm shopping alot for spokes right now and even if I like dt swiss very much, I don't think I'm going to order alot of them. the main reason why I'm going to order more of the other brands like sapim, wheelsmith, CN spoke, philwood, etc,... is because I'll prefer to choose butted and aero spokes that are cuttable on 15-20mm, something you can't do with dt swiss higher end spokes.

So, that being said, I'd like to know what DT fan and others think about it. But I'd like to add an exemple of someone who would like to carry butted and aero spokes to be able to do anything on the spot. doing it with dt swiss could be possible but it would be so much more expensive, take so much more place and keeping track of all that inventorie would be crazy. but for a fraction of what it would cost with dt, someone could get:
sapim cx-ray 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm
Sapim force 500x 268mm black cuttable to 252mm
CN spoke aero 474 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm
CN spoke aero 424 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm

and you would still have money and space for more spokes.

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 10:53 Quote
bernbikeshop wrote:
I'm about to order alot of spokes and I'd like to know what make you choose the spokes you choose when building a wheel? or for people who are looking for someone to build a wheel, would you insiste on particular brand/model or would you trust the builder to suggest or choose something good?

I'm asking that because I'm shopping alot for spokes right now and even if I like dt swiss very much, I don't think I'm going to order alot of them. the main reason why I'm going to order more of the other brands like sapim, wheelsmith, CN spoke, philwood, etc,... is because I'll prefer to choose butted and aero spokes that are cuttable on 15-20mm, something you can't do with dt swiss higher end spokes.

So, that being said, I'd like to know what DT fan and others think about it. But I'd like to add an exemple of someone who would like to carry butted and aero spokes to be able to do anything on the spot. doing it with dt swiss could be possible but it would be so much more expensive, take so much more place and keeping track of all that inventorie would be crazy. but for a fraction of what it would cost with dt, someone could get:
sapim cx-ray 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm
Sapim force 500x 268mm black cuttable to 252mm
CN spoke aero 474 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm
CN spoke aero 424 500x 300mm silver and black cuttable to 280mm and 270mm cuttable to 250mm

and you would still have money and space for more spokes.

For most standard builds I use double butted (2.0/1.8 ) spokes, usually DT Swiss but sometimes Wheelsmith if I don't want to have to spend $50+ on a box just for 16 spokes. For budget builds where the wheel may not encounter a lot of abuse and/or the rider wants to save money, I use straight gauge spokes. For my personal and also various pimpy builds I use triple butted DT Swiss SuperComps.

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 11:03 Quote
I normally just stick to sapim db race 2/1.8 or lazer 2/1.5 cheap and fairly light weight

Posted: Mar 18, 2013 at 16:11 Quote
I cannot lace that way for the life of me. Well I can but I hate it. I do, for a 32 hole setup, 8 on one then 8 on the other and repeat for the next 16. Makes it less confusing.

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 at 2:02 Quote
Hi guys. i was thinking about building up a wheel set. i was using the DT Swiss spoke calculator and its asking for how many "intersections" on each side of the hub. What does this mean and how many would you recoment. thanks

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 at 6:19 Quote
How many spokes you want to cross over each other. How strong you want your wheel to be (radial, 1x, 2x, 3x) 3x is the strongest you can go.

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 at 8:43 Quote
Hey anyone on here ever deal with uber tight ass roadie demanding to take his tire off for a simple truing? Or shop owner. I own a shop and the head mechanic for 25 years so seen a bit of action to say the least. The way I tell them is like this are you riding the wheel with tire on or off? Tire is on right so tru it with tire on. Ya I know certain circumstances you have to take tire off and will do it with no hesitation. Its the simple tru jobs that get me and these road snoots. Ya tru it with no tire then put back on tru again is there really a huge difference besides twice the work? The way I see it wheel gets trued with tire on unless there are serious issue. You plan on riding the wheel with tire on it right?

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 at 11:02 Quote
willy94 wrote:
How many spokes you want to cross over each other. How strong you want your wheel to be (radial, 1x, 2x, 3x) 3x is the strongest you can go.

You're forgetting 4x.

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 at 16:40 Quote
i want to buy a rockshox sektor 150mm with 9mm qr and a mavic crissride wheelset with 15 qr, how can i make it work?

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 at 16:41 Quote
dont buy a qr fork, if you already have 15mm wheels then it's just silly.

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 at 17:58 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
willy94 wrote:

You're forgetting 4x.
i left it out on purpose. 3x is the happy meduim between weight and strength in both directions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012269
Mobile Version of Website