Powered by Outside

Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Posted: Apr 15, 2023 at 20:22 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Lookseasy - Following on from your comment on Mike F's article on NSMB - I've run 2.6 SE5s on my Murmur with plenty of room to spare.
Yeah, my rear triangle is pretty roomy around my 2.6s. But they're Maxxis, which I hear run notoriously narrow. I got caught up in yardwork today and forgot to measure or try to physically fit the 27.5x3.0 off my hardtail. Inconveniently my DragonSlayer is an 11 speed while my Murmur is a 12 speed, so if it does fit a proper trial would have to wait until I have an opportunity to do a little drivetrain juggling.

Though it may be moot. My 3.0" WTB Trailbosses are quite tired, and are going to be replaced by 2.8" Maxxis DHF/DHR after a bikepacking trip next month, which is the same tire setup my Murmur has. So it might not be worth the faff for 0.2" of rubber.

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 0:13 Quote
I love if 275x3 worked in the rear - that would open up another whole level of monstertruckness.

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 1:28 Quote
photo
Finished(ish).
Need to swap the LTD for my other LTD that isn't so beaten up. Plus there are a couple of other purple bits on the way...

The forks are at 170mm and it's an absolute beast especially with tough high grip Judges front and rear.

The big question though - Is it still a trail bike?

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 7:49 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Baller!

Cheers. Defo a monster with the 170 up front.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 10:14 Quote
i’m so close to getting one of these. between this and the steezl the steel bikes are so interesting to me. only thing possibly swaying me toward a steezl is the modularity (possibility to run mullet, shorter chainstay option, etc).

does everyone find their starling frames to be sufficiently stiff? and do you feel they work better with coil or air shocks?

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 10:24 Quote
Personally I think they are less stiff than most Alloy which I appreciate. No trouble as far as upward efficiency and they carve in corners.

Only experience is coil with progressive spring for me and its very nice. I do want to try a nice air shock when money allows. Just to see.

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 10:44 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
I love if 275x3 worked in the rear - that would open up another whole level of monstertruckness.

A full width 27.5x3.0" tire (I measured it) fits in a v2 Murmur rear triangle. About 1/4" of space at the chainstays and 3/8" at the seatstays.
photo

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 11:04 Quote
frigofff wrote:
i’m so close to getting one of these. between this and the steezl the steel bikes are so interesting to me. only thing possibly swaying me toward a steezl is the modularity (possibility to run mullet, shorter chainstay option, etc).

does everyone find their starling frames to be sufficiently stiff? and do you feel they work better with coil or air shocks?

Re: modularity, it's hard to beat a Murmur. Now that they all come with adjustable shock mounts you can run it anywhere from 140/135 to 170/150, and you can order a seperate Swoop rear triangle to throw on it for a 27.5" 435mm cs rear end, and I think with that setup you may even be able to bump rear travel to 160mm (or just start with a Twist, if you know you want a mullet and shorter cs).

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 11:27 Quote
it’s actually that i want to run a mullet with LONGER chainstays… is anyone successfully running their murmur trail with a smaller rear wheel?

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
frigofff wrote:

The Murmur is a great frame. I’ve run mine at 120/120 air up to 170/140 coil as such a very versatile for a FS frame. The Öhlins coil works really well with the frame. I think it's the massive bottom out bumper that makes it feel nearly bottomless. It is flexy but jn a good way. It's not the sort of bike I would want for fast flow trails - It's great in tech tho.

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 12:07 Quote
frigofff wrote:
it’s actually that i want to run a mullet with LONGER chainstays… is anyone successfully running their murmur trail with a smaller rear wheel?

I ran mine for a short bit with a 27.5x2.8. Was fun but short lived as I ran pressure too low on my hardtail and torched the rim so it wasn’t holding air too well. That said it was fun. Maybe normal sized would feel good but likely would want shorter cranks?

Posted: Apr 23, 2023 at 5:21 Quote
Anybody got photos of a Large swoop build? Want to see how the frame looks in a large, as you know many larger frames can look kinda horrible compared to S or M ones.

Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 2:09 Quote
Views: 239    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011803
Mobile Version of Website