Powered by Outside

Metal Thread(all kinds)

PB Forum :: Movies, Music & Stars
Metal Thread(all kinds)
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 13:58 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I wouldn’t go that far. They are definitely some subcategory of metal. Almost in the same vein as Coheed and Cambria for much of it but then they seem to transition into metal passages here and there.

Not sure where C&C fits though. Not something I consider metal... but I do like them.

Metal has gotten to sub genra’d out these days I gave up trying to put anything in a box other than like/dislike.

Fair enough. There is definitely a ton of avant-garde atmospheric metal that doesn't conform to the orthodox fundamental framework of Metal, but at least it's malevolent. The first note of clean vocals on that slab had me asking for the check. In fact, I couldn't wait for the check and just dipped. Didn't touch the food.To each their own.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 15:59 Quote
suspended-flesh wrote:
I don't see Periphery fitting into the loosest definition of MetaL I don't know what they are but it does not tick the Goes Hard box for me at all.

Their first album went pretty hard but the one song i heard from them lately had me reaching for the mute key. My tastes have definitely shifted quite a bit since 2011 but just because something is "metal" doesnt mean it is going to be liked by every fan.

Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 0:32 Quote
you guys havent heard of 'Djent' then? Which is the sub-category that Periphery fall into (if you had to label/pigeon hole them).

I used to really like them, but the last couple of albums havent really sparked my attention. these guys on the other hand.....

Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 5:52 Quote
Definitely know what Djent is. Typically cant stand it. The theory of overly palm muted progressive stuff sounds good but unfortunately it’s usually paired with whiny metal core and a side of jock strap.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 7:47 Quote
I prefer vildhjarta for that.

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 0:30 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
you guys havent heard of 'Djent' then? Which is the sub-category that Periphery fall into (if you had to label/pigeon hole them).

I used to really like them, but the last couple of albums havent really sparked my attention. these guys on the other hand.....

I've heard of Meshuggah. They're def metal. I'll have a listen to Periphery later today and add my 2 pence worth.

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 3:02 Quote
Have had a listen to Periphery V - bits of it are Djenty, bits sound like Linkin Park especially the clean vocals. Is it metal - maybe, maybe not. Not overly my cup of tea tho. Could only do 2 songs and had to put some Meshuggah on.

I guess it's similar to Crust Punk - is it punk, is it metal. You could say the same about Motorhead...

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 3:45 Quote
without wanting to travel too far down this road, i guess it all depends on what an individual labels as 'metal'.

As we know, there are endless sub-genres of 'metal'. And 'metal' in itself is one (a genre, not sub-genre).

As we are discussing Periphery, whilst i havent given the latest album much time (i have gone off them a bit), they traditionally have always been 'djent', which is a sub-genre of metal. And this is the 'Metal Thread (all kinds)'.

Seems strange that its being questioned. I mean, if you dont like it, thats cool, but it definitely falls into the 'metal' category somewhere. That is unless either a) i am misreading and its not being questioned (therefore all this rambling is irrelevant), or b) this is a thread for Metal gatekeepers that only allow traditonal 'metal'?!

But anywho, keep posting the heavies, whether its your jam or not Big Grin Emo Evil Beer

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 5:45 Quote
No gatekeepin here. Just an opinion. Preferences really. Over the past decades I have had many tastes. Always changing. Some stuff I loved years ago I wonder how now.

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 13:13 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
without wanting to travel too far down this road, i guess it all depends on what an individual labels as 'metal'.

As we know, there are endless sub-genres of 'metal'. And 'metal' in itself is one (a genre, not sub-genre).

As we are discussing Periphery, whilst i havent given the latest album much time (i have gone off them a bit), they traditionally have always been 'djent', which is a sub-genre of metal. And this is the 'Metal Thread (all kinds)'.

Seems strange that its being questioned. I mean, if you dont like it, thats cool, but it definitely falls into the 'metal' category somewhere. That is unless either a) i am misreading and its not being questioned (therefore all this rambling is irrelevant), or b) this is a thread for Metal gatekeepers that only allow traditonal 'metal'?!

But anywho, keep posting the heavies, whether its your jam or not Big Grin Emo Evil Beer

No, you are correct. I popped off with a personal opinion that wasn't real rational. This is indeed an All Kinds thread and I ignored that. I have been off in remote backwaters of BM, death, and doom variants for a decade and was not even aware of Djent. Grumpy old man syndrome on top of that. Carry on!

Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 0:34 Quote
suspended-flesh wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

No, you are correct. I popped off with a personal opinion that wasn't real rational. This is indeed an All Kinds thread and I ignored that. I have been off in remote backwaters of BM, death, and doom variants for a decade and was not even aware of Djent. Grumpy old man syndrome on top of that. Carry on!

haha, its all good man. In other news... new Chelsea Grin dropped today.

Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 9:44 Quote
Just saw Megadeth is coming to Seattle. So torn. The only big OG outfit I missed over the last 30 years. One of my faves from back in the day. Typically such an old hat tends to fit a little looser than I care to try on at this point. But.... maybe.

Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 0:35 Quote
Grabbed Tix for WITTR (no sage smoke jokes, please) mainly because seeing WITTR is a cheesy tradition I have with a good friend and it's going down 3 city blocks from my house. Female-fronted Black Metal band Hulder opening should be good

Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 8:50 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Just saw Megadeth is coming to Seattle. So torn. The only big OG outfit I missed over the last 30 years. One of my faves from back in the day. Typically such an old hat tends to fit a little looser than I care to try on at this point. But.... maybe.

Saw them opening for Black Sabbath and was great! About 10 years ago…

Posted: Apr 5, 2023 at 12:10 Quote
https://powertripsl.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-seattle-05-28-2018

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013477
Mobile Version of Website