Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
O+
Posted: May 22, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
Ismael1223 wrote:
Staktup wrote:
Ismael1223 wrote:
Hello everyone! Has anyone put a Slack-R headset on their Capra 29? Just kinda curious how it would affect my bike, it claims to make your ht angle 1.5 degrees slacker.

You answered your own question, no?

Not really. I could have worded it better but I was asking if anyone had put it on there capra and how it affected the riding and it if was even an actual improvement.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I wouldn’t want my Capra 1.5 degrees slacker. Assuming you have a 170mm fork and it’s in the low setting, you’re sitting at ~65 degrees, right? 63.5 is pretty dang slack. I have mine set up as a mullet and in the high setting, I’m somewhere between 64 and 64.5. I like the way it handles in the bike park and the steeps, but it’s not so fun on normal trail rides. So if you do a mix of riding, I personally wouldn’t go that slack. If it’s just your park/shuttle bike, go for it (or just throw a 27.5 wheel on the back)

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
Yeah I think it make more sense to just have a spare 27.5 wheel and slap it on on park days and shuttle runs. I honestly feel it’s plenty slack, was just curious. Thanks for the response. Might borrow a 27.5 wheel from my brother just to try it out the whole mullet thing

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
I'm going to back pedal on my previous comments about the mullet setup a bit. I prefer full 29er, at least on the MK2 Capra 29, for natural, rocky DH trails.

Rode 3 shuttle laps yesterday, each lap is about ~4+ miles w/ ~3,000'+ descent, steep, natural, single track with big rocks, roots and logs, and ruts. The dirt is great and the trails run fast, but rugged. I'm familiar with these trails, but this is the first time I had ran the mullet setup riding them. I was disappointed.

Setup: Capra 29 in "high", 27.5 rear, 160mm DVO Jade 500lbs coil (puts me about 26-28% sag as a 170lbs fully kitted rider), 29 front, 170mm Lyrik.

Lap 1: Rode the trail we rode last weekend and almost immediately I started getting pedal strikes on things that I had never encountered while in full 29er. I ended up slowing down just a bit from usual and really needing to focus on line choice because it felt like I was striking everything on the trail with feet at neutral position.

Lap 2: Decided I'd need to give the mullet setup another go but I thought maybe I was just going through travel too much, so a couple pumps of air in the DVO Jade bladder and turns of compression to maybe compensate. Different trail but basically same terrain and same result, pedal strikes galore.

Lap 3: Put my 29 wheel back on and re-rode the lap 1 trail. I might've buzzed my butt once or twice, but practically no pedal strikes that I didn't deserve. Granted I was also more fatigued on this run and starting to get kinda sloppy, but I realized that the full 29er is so much more confident than the mullet on these trails.

My conclusion: Mullet setup does make the bike more nimble and playful, but at a big cost if you're riding natural, rocky terrain. I'd probably reserve the mullet setup for machine built flow, ie: Trestle Bike Park or the trail ridden in this video https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-forbidden-announces-mixed-wheel-druid-gx-ziggy-edition.html, but never again will I run it on our shuttle trails, they're just too chunky and raw and the mullet setup (even in "high") drops the BB too much and is just scary and asking for trouble.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
Good feedback Chacou, and nothing wrong to backpedal if it means you're getting closer to your goal.

I rode my hi set mullet yesterday at Mtn Creek BP and beat my personal bests with this 50:50 set up, and even in the rain. The tech trails did not give me pedal strikes and yet I was faster, and felt faster in the flow berm trails.

I did however, run my Bartlett at 180mm vs. 170 but I think the wagon wheel up front gave me more confidence hitting things blind. And no need for protection with a Maxxis-pad.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
@Staktup yeah, I had ridden it on some other local trails that see a lot more traffic and regular trail work and it was all good. The shuttle trails we ride are basically un-maintained, very rugged where momentum and big wheels really help in clearing the obstacles. The mullet did feel more nimble and confidence inspiring on steep drops and slabs, etc, but in the rock gardens and off-camber ruts the much lowered BB was too much to confidently go through with speed when you're clipping stuff that you usually don't.
It has a place I think, I'll be trying it at the bike park, but not again on these "backcountry" big descents.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
Anyone else thinking the new capra geo is pretty meh? seems like they used to be on the aggressive side compared to most brands, speaking of HA/WB, now it's kinda middle of the road.

I've ridden nothing but YTs for the last 5ish years, but given the underwhelming new capra coming out and the rising prices that are close to non direct to consumer brands, it's hard to stick with them.

Not the value they used to be, and given you're going to be SOL if you need a warranty, even in normal times, seems like they aren't that great of a choice.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
I think the geo is pretty spot on for modern bikes.
Compared to the prior bike, it has a Slacker hta by .8°/1° (low/high in 29). Sta is steeper by 2.1°/1.3°. reach is nearly the same, which, at 5'10" I like.

In terms of value, I agree with you. The Specialized Enduro Expert is at $6100usd where the Core 4 is at $5999. The builds are nearly identical with the edge going slightly to the Capra in that it has carbon cranks, renthal bars and stem, and Crankbrothers wheels. The Enduro, has alloy cranks and has house bars, stem, and wheels. Though, the Rovals aren't bad wheels.

If I were buying a new bike at that price point, I would choose the Enduro. Mainly because I want the frame storage. Also, it looks like you can only grab the bottle one the yt with your left hand. I like being able to grab a drink while still moving and that would present a problem for me.

I don't have the money for a new bike anyway. Fortunately, I'm still getting along with my 2018 Capra 29 al. Spent $2600 (shipped) in 2018 and about $1000 over the past year in upgraded wheels and suspension.

Edited the first part to clarify the geo comparison to the previous bike.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 23:45 Quote
lkjk wrote:
Anyone else thinking the new capra geo is pretty meh? seems like they used to be on the aggressive side compared to most brands, speaking of HA/WB, now it's kinda middle of the road.

I've ridden nothing but YTs for the last 5ish years, but given the underwhelming new capra coming out and the rising prices that are close to non direct to consumer brands, it's hard to stick with them.

Not the value they used to be, and given you're going to be SOL if you need a warranty, even in normal times, seems like they aren't that great of a choice.

Agree, I was waffling on a Capra MX but it just didn't hit all the numbers and a couple spec choices on the Core 4 didn't appeal to me (Crankbros wheels, Eagle instead of XT 12spd/XT brakes and 150mm instead of 175/180mm dropper on large frame).

For $700CAD less I pre-ordered a 2021 Transition Patrol XT ($8,400 Core 4 vs. $7,700 XT Patrol). Patrol should be here in August-September vs. April 2022 for the Capra and I trust Transition more than YT for delivery dates. Spec wise, I am a Fox/Shimano guy, so I will gladly take XT 12 speed/XT 4-piston brakes over Eagle X01/RSC brakes even if XT is a bit heavier. Also DT Swiss wheelset w/ 350 hubs vs. the Crankbros/I9 1-1. Have to concede on carbon frame to YT, as well as superior cockpit with Renthal vs. house parts on the Transition and the Capra MX is 3lbs lighter which is a lot. I do get LBS support this time around though.

Geo wise, the Patrol is 1 degree slacker (63/63.5), longer reach (475mm in low vs. 464mm) but with a shorter stem (40mm vs 50mm) to bring the short offset fork + long reach in check. Seat tube is 10mm shorter can you get a 180mm OneUp for size large, and a steeper seat tube angle for climbing.

I'm not a YT hater, I've owned a 2017 Jeffsy 27 CF and a 2019 Jeffsy 27 CF Pro Race but the whole package and long lead time just didn't speak to me this time around.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Agree, I was waffling on a Capra MX but it just didn't hit all the numbers and a couple spec choices on the Core 4 didn't appeal to me (Crankbros wheels, Eagle instead of XT 12spd/XT brakes and 150mm instead of 175/180mm dropper on large frame).

For $700CAD less I pre-ordered a 2021 Transition Patrol XT ($8,400 Core 4 vs. $7,700 XT Patrol). Patrol should be here in August-September vs. April 2022 for the Capra and I trust Transition more than YT for delivery dates. Spec wise, I am a Fox/Shimano guy, so I will gladly take XT 12 speed/XT 4-piston brakes over Eagle X01/RSC brakes even if XT is a bit heavier. Also DT Swiss wheelset w/ 350 hubs vs. the Crankbros/I9 1-1. Have to concede on carbon frame to YT, as well as superior cockpit with Renthal vs. house parts on the Transition and the Capra MX is 3lbs lighter which is a lot. I do get LBS support this time around though.

Geo wise, the Patrol is 1 degree slacker (63/63.5), longer reach (475mm in low vs. 464mm) but with a shorter stem (40mm vs 50mm) to bring the short offset fork + long reach in check. Seat tube is 10mm shorter can you get a 180mm OneUp for size large, and a steeper seat tube angle for climbing.

I'm not a YT hater, I've owned a 2017 Jeffsy 27 CF and a 2019 Jeffsy 27 CF Pro Race but the whole package and long lead time just didn't speak to me this time around.

Funny, I also just ordered the Transition Spire. it definitely feels like the value is there in the transitions if you go alloy, makes it a much easier decision.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
Agree. I started buying YT’s in 2018 because the value was just untouchable. That’s not the case anymore and the customer service has been inconsistent in Canada. I’d still consider one for my next bike but not likely to buy one again.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
Shameless plug...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3099352/

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
Staktup wrote:
Shameless plug...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3099352/

Only ridden 8 times? Man...looks nice.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
Went to change shocks from air to coil last night and the bearings felt a bit sticky.
Time for a deep clean, the first time I'm digging into the bearings since taking delivery of this bike in December 2019 and riding it regularly, aside from Jan, Feb, Mar where our trails are mostly snow covered.
photo

There was very little grease, but there was this sticky white substance. It was maybe grease at one point but it was now just a heavy, sticky, messy goo.
photo
photo

Cleaned out all the stock YT "grease" and repacked all the bearings with PPL-1. Re-torque.
photo
photo

Put the coil on and took a shakedown ride this morning. Buttery smooth, so much so I might need to up my spring rate.
photo
photo

Lesson: These stock bearings are crap and the "grease" is likely largely to blame. These are the same bearings my MK1 Jeffsy had as well. Those bearings were ~90% seized up after about a season riding, predominately dry conditions too. I swapped those out for Enduro and the bike was so good after that. If you have the stock bearings still, it's worth the time to clean and repack them. If they're seized or you fancy some bearing replacement, put Enduro Bearings in. It makes a difference for your suspension.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
IMO, 2 years of riding, the grease is way overdue for breaks down. I got 2 years out of my bearings, they looked the same as yours when I pulled them and replaced them, grease was shot, but there was zero lateral play.

I was impressed they lasted as long as they did as I usually replace my bearing at least once a year due to lateral play.

The double row bearings on the chainstay bearings were a PITA, but bike was perfect after replacement.

chacou wrote:
Went to change shocks from air to coil last night and the bearings felt a bit sticky.
Time for a deep clean, the first time I'm digging into the bearings since taking delivery of this bike in December 2019 and riding it regularly, aside from Jan, Feb, Mar where our trails are mostly snow covered.
photo

There was very little grease, but there was this sticky white substance. It was maybe grease at one point but it was now just a heavy, sticky, messy goo.
photo
photo

Cleaned out all the stock YT "grease" and repacked all the bearings with PPL-1. Re-torque.
photo
photo

Put the coil on and took a shakedown ride this morning. Buttery smooth, so much so I might need to up my spring rate.
photo
photo

Lesson: These stock bearings are crap and the "grease" is likely largely to blame. These are the same bearings my MK1 Jeffsy had as well. Those bearings were ~90% seized up after about a season riding, predominately dry conditions too. I swapped those out for Enduro and the bike was so good after that. If you have the stock bearings still, it's worth the time to clean and repack them. If they're seized or you fancy some bearing replacement, put Enduro Bearings in. It makes a difference for your suspension.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 19:38 Quote
chacou wrote:
photo

photo
photo

photo
photo

photo
photo

So you didn’t pull the bearings out? Just pulled the dust seal and regressed them? I was thinking about dropping my bike off for bearing replacement but they’re 3 weeks out from being able to get it done. Wondering if I can do this as a bandaid until end of fall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028447
Mobile Version of Website