Powered by Outside

Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?
Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 11:45 Quote
Carbon rims really don't go out of true in the same way alloy ones do because you can't permanently bend the rim, just stretch spokes. So free truing is no special offer.

Mine cost me £700 all in, rims, Hopes, cx-rays. You pay your money and take your choice. I wanted the 33mm specifically so there really wasn't another option for me. It makes a big difference to tyre profile and grip.

Frankly whatever you chose will perform well.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 12:55 Quote
Fair enough, are you running yours tubeless? I also noticed that they had a hookless version of the 33mm's in the works, are there any benefits other than more impact resistant if running low pressures?

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 16:33 Quote
I run with latex tubes, no pinch flats, no burping. I'm unsure if there's any benefit at all to hookless.

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 16:57 Quote
God damn sq225917, great review. This thread is a gold mine

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 17:08 Quote
We aim to please, knowledge is power.

Posted: Mar 19, 2014 at 19:40 Quote
theminsta wrote:
God damn sq225917, great review. This thread is a gold mine

Ha Ha, totally agree and its only 4 pages. On MTBR there's over 5400 posts(217 pages).

Kartrin said mine should ship Friday, fingers crossed.

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 0:53 Quote
Set up for trail ripping.
26.33lbs with heavy tires and some heavy parts.
Wheel set came in at 1515g with 135x9mm qr and 15mm thru-axel. So far they are just as stiff as my Roval Control Carbon 29s and a little lighter.

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 6:41 Quote
Nice wheels and bike sbrdude!

So Ive talked to nancy at light bicycles and now I really want some of the new 33mm wide rims, their complete wheel prices are really good, Im looking at less than £500 for their 33mm wide hookless rims laced to the new hope hubs with some of their aero spokes. There main competitors are the £600 superstar AM wheels I mentioned earlier and some used easton haven carbons for about £400.

I ride mainly smoothish bermy trails with some smooth transitioned jumps but also some bigger jumps 2-3metres ish to transitions and maybe 1m high drops to flat/small transitions are about the extent of their abuse, some rock gardens. If I went for the light bicycles should I go for the AM or the DH layup?

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 10:58 Quote
If the AM can't stand up to that abuse then they're not worth wasting your money on!

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 12:15 Quote
DH, the extra 50 grams isn't worth scrimping on.

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 12:26 Quote
Both valid points, to put it into context theyre going on a short travel playbike thats going to be ridden pretty hard but at the same time Im very light on components and only weigh about 70kg fully geared up.

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 13:38 Quote
Have you ever snapped rims before?

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
Agh I'm gonna jump on this.. Just gotta find people to split shipping with!

Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 14:30 Quote
Only part Ive ever broken is a chain, Im not hard on parts at all but then again I dont usually push my luck in terms of super weight weenie parts, Ive had great luck on some aluminium easton havens on my last AM bike but this bike will be jumped a fair bit more on bigger stuff, but always with buffed transitions.

On one side it may be very overkill and Im spending a fair bit to get some light wheels so why shouldn't I maximize the weight savings? And if the worst comes to the worst then the rims arent to bad to replace and I can get the dh versions.

On the other side I dont need to worry about my wheels no matter how hard Im riding stuff or trying new things and the dh versions are already pretty light.

Ive also just noticed some easton haven carbons for sale in the buy/sell, is the width of the light bicycles worth it? 5mm difference, 21mm vs 26mm IIRC

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010422
Mobile Version of Website