Powered by Outside

Shigura brakes

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 18:20 Quote
Thanks Leftypumpkin :⁠-⁠D

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 19:51 Quote
KingPooPing wrote:
Thanks Leftypumpkin :⁠-⁠D

Your welcome, it sounds like a bigger hassle than it really is.

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 9:58 Quote
So a few years later my brakes still work fine but the discs and pads I think are in need of replacement...as great as the Shifuras are though have other brakes since caught up? I'm guessing the Mavens will be more powerful, the Hope tech 4 V4's around the same...the light action of Dominion looks appealing and obviously Trickstuff well it's Trickstuff... but what has caught my eye recently as a possible replacement is those Chinese Trickstuff clones, wonder if they will be an upgrade from the Shiguras? Tbh I think I'm just looking to waste some money on some being, the Shiguras are fine as they are but if there is anything out there other than Trickstuff that performs as well but looks a bit more trick I would be interested to know from those that have experience with Shiguras and other brakes.

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 11:37 Quote
Have you considered the Intend Trinity? But before you get too attached, they appear to be even harder to obtain than Trickstuff.

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 15:22 Quote
I just got my shigura brakes setup and finished my first ride. Snapped my mt5 levers so found an old m8000 lever in the parts bin and ordered a m8100 lever, it irks me that me look different but I'm rolling with it for now.

Initially I struggled to bleed the rear as it forever felt spongy, I think a combination of the longer length hose compared to the front, the plastic bleed blocks that compress, and the servo wave all added to make for poor lever feel. After moving fluid through a million times confirming there was no air I settled and fit them to the bike with pads and rotors. Lever feel is definitely "spongy" compared to the full mt5 setup, but as said earlier this will be down to the servo wave creating better mechanical leverage so it's easier to pull and gives you that "bad bleed feel".

My first test ride is done now and I think I'll need some getting used to the brakes, they are grabier and definitely more powerful. I think once I've gotten used to these brakes they're going to be hands down better. Impressed so far.

Posted: May 5, 2024 at 7:46 Quote
orangenut wrote:
I just got my shigura brakes setup and finished my first ride. Snapped my mt5 levers so found an old m8000 lever in the parts bin and ordered a m8100 lever, it irks me that me look different but I'm rolling with it for now.

Initially I struggled to bleed the rear as it forever felt spongy, I think a combination of the longer length hose compared to the front, the plastic bleed blocks that compress, and the servo wave all added to make for poor lever feel. After moving fluid through a million times confirming there was no air I settled and fit them to the bike with pads and rotors. Lever feel is definitely "spongy" compared to the full mt5 setup, but as said earlier this will be down to the servo wave creating better mechanical leverage so it's easier to pull and gives you that "bad bleed feel".

My first test ride is done now and I think I'll need some getting used to the brakes, they are grabier and definitely more powerful. I think once I've gotten used to these brakes they're going to be hands down better. Impressed so far.

Personally I find that the slight sponginess can feel a bit weird when I go up to the bike and just randomly pull the levers, but when actually riding it, I don't notice it/think about it all.

Have you done a lever bleed with the pads and wheel installed? I always do that after a full bleed, it helps a lot.

Posted: May 5, 2024 at 14:55 Quote
I would agree with your statement, when riding I didn't notice the levers feeling spongy at all.

And yeah I did a lever bleed with pads/rotors installed once on the bike, I read in here somewhere that the fluid quantity in the Shimano levers is less than the maguras so you can't get full pad wear, so once the pistons were set I wanted as much fluid in the system to prevent that!

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 14:02 Quote
Hi all,

I’m having issues real issues with getting my rear brake bled. I used royal blood fluid but I’m now wondering if I should use Shimano fluid. What does everyone else use?

The brake is that bad that if I take it a ride the back break won’t even lock up. It just brings it to a slow stop

O+
Posted: May 6, 2024 at 19:41 Quote
Rocco2787 wrote:
Hi all,

I’m having issues real issues with getting my rear brake bled. I used royal blood fluid but I’m now wondering if I should use Shimano fluid. What does everyone else use?

The brake is that bad that if I take it a ride the back break won’t even lock up. It just brings it to a slow stop

Yeah, def got air in the system. I'm running Shimano fluid in my Shiguras. I was thinking of switching to Plutoline but they've been pretty solid so far, didn't feel the need to change it.

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 12:22 Quote
Rocco2787 wrote:
Hi all,

Unfortunately i'm not sure what your issue is but it's definitely not the fluid. Fluid can't make that big of a difference. Personally I ran both Royal Blood and Shimano. No issues with either, Shimano is just cheaper/easier to get.

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 13:38 Quote
Rocco2787 wrote:
Hi all,

Using Shimano myself however RB should be fine too. Bleed with the caliper unbolted and bleed port facing the sky. Try to position the bike so that you can get the caliper higher than the lever. Use the Shimano funnel in the lever and the Magura bleed fitting and syringe in the caliper. Fill the funnel and use the syringe to first push a little out of the lever, then pull fresh fluid from the funnel through to the caliper all while tapping on the lever, line, and caliper to dislodge any bubbles. Finish up making sure the caliper is higher than the lever with the port facing up. Remove the bleed adapter and quickly install the bleed port screw. Then remove the funnel and close up the lever bleed port. Or just to make sure, do a bit of a lever bleed for good measure.

Posted: May 12, 2024 at 20:46 Quote
Rocco2787 wrote:
Hi all,

Between RB and Shimano fluids, I would suggest Shimano. Supposedly there is an ingredient in RB that disagrees with Shimano seals. Reading the SDS of both does suggest there may be something to this. How real of a problem could it be, who knows.

That being said, I run Red Line Likewater fluid due to it being the lowest viscosity. This seems to have cured the wandering bite point, and may be a tad easier to bleed. Maguras are known to be a cantankerous bleed

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 4:50 Quote
So nothing wrong with my Shigura brakes, still working fantastic, an issues has always been the typical pad, rotor contamination, worn pads, glazing etc but that can happen with any brakes. However I feel a lot of brakes on the market have since caught up or got very close power wise. It's interesting to see the reviews on other brakes too, what intrigued me the most recently was how the Sram Mavens are possibly the most powerful brakes ever or 2nd to Maximas 'supposedly', even some people that switched out Hope Tech 4 V4 saying the new Mavens are very powerful but I wonder if people mistake this for how the power is delivered.
I saw the new brake showdown on Enduro and they tested numerous brakes in the lab and field. The Hope Tech 4 V4's came out top both in outright power according to lab tests and deceleration above all the others including Mavens and Maximas, combine them with the typical Hope modulation and fantastic looks and thet are really making me want to buy a set. The trouble is I had Tech 3 V4's previously and I really wasn't ford of them, they felt extremely underpowered with a heavy lever feel, much less power than Shimanos or Shiguras, however these new brakes seem to solve that.
It was also interesting to see that in the previous or one of the older tests from a number of years ago the MT7 came out top in power and deceleration times and yet now they are very middle of the pack not really coming close to the top brakes in test power wise so it seems things really have progressed even in the short time frame I have had my Shiguras. I must say aswell although I do like the lever feel of my XTR levers on my Shigura setup I still think in general I prefer longer levers, they just feel like I have more control and for some reason even cheaper shimano brakes I have tried that have long levers always seem to have a decent amount of power.

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 10:56 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
So nothing wrong with my Shigura brakes, still working fantastic, an issues has always been the typical pad, rotor contamination, worn pads, glazing etc but that can happen with any brakes. However I feel a lot of brakes on the market have since caught up or got very close power wise. It's interesting to see the reviews on other brakes too, what intrigued me the most recently was how the Sram Mavens are possibly the most powerful brakes ever or 2nd to Maximas 'supposedly', even some people that switched out Hope Tech 4 V4 saying the new Mavens are very powerful but I wonder if people mistake this for how the power is delivered.
I saw the new brake showdown on Enduro and they tested numerous brakes in the lab and field. The Hope Tech 4 V4's came out top both in outright power according to lab tests and deceleration above all the others including Mavens and Maximas, combine them with the typical Hope modulation and fantastic looks and thet are really making me want to buy a set. The trouble is I had Tech 3 V4's previously and I really wasn't ford of them, they felt extremely underpowered with a heavy lever feel, much less power than Shimanos or Shiguras, however these new brakes seem to solve that.
It was also interesting to see that in the previous or one of the older tests from a number of years ago the MT7 came out top in power and deceleration times and yet now they are very middle of the pack not really coming close to the top brakes in test power wise so it seems things really have progressed even in the short time frame I have had my Shiguras. I must say aswell although I do like the lever feel of my XTR levers on my Shigura setup I still think in general I prefer longer levers, they just feel like I have more control and for some reason even cheaper shimano brakes I have tried that have long levers always seem to have a decent amount of power.

Why not just get some cheapo longer Shimano levers? They work perfectly fine, you'll just need to swallow your pride. Big Grin
I have them on two bikes and have had zero issues with them. They're not the best looking levers, but I kinda got used to the look after a while and it's fine. I like how they feel, the shape is fine, and they have a rock solid bite point and very short lever throw with Shimano calipers.

Posted: May 24, 2024 at 2:32 Quote
Looks like after ~2 years my M6100 lever is leaking at the piston again. The previous one lasted about a year, but I barely used the bike last season. The front is still perfect after 3-4 years. Dangit!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008477
Mobile Version of Website