Vancouver Island Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Vancouver Island Group
O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 1:08 Quote
Question.. Between Hartland and the Gravity Zone, which is considered the better beginner spot? I'm assuming the gravity zone due to machine built ups/downs, but also know the dump has had major changes over recent years. Researching for my beginner wife.
Thanks.

Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 22:56 Quote
I think gravity sees several times the traffic but that said, hartland hardcores still frequent there. If you want single track or technical climbs the gravity park lacks it completely.

Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 20:49 Quote
For a beginner, I'd say go Hartland. The gravity park has 1 trail that's truly beginner friendly, which could get boring quick- that being said, would be a good practice lap!

Lots of easier loops at Hartland with varied up and down, and Torpedo Run has work to replicate a machine built trail if you want that style of riding like what the gravity park has to offer.

Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 22:00 Quote
It is a difficult question to answer and really depends on how much time you have. If you're coming out for one day versus going to start introducing someone to the sport. In both of these instances I would think the warm-up area with the pump track and the mini skill zone at the Gravity park would actually be the best. If your wife just wants to come up for 1 hour just to see what it's like and pedal around that is the easiest to access, has a nice parking lot that does not smell like garbage if you want to pack a lunch and some drinks and hang out and there is no difficulty in navigating the trail system. When you actually start getting into a bit more riding I would suggest Heartland because even though some of the trails are more technical I find intermediate advanced Rider, but one that does not love speed, then it's kind of frustrating to always be on the brakes in a completely downhill oriented climb up and bomb down trail system.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 0:52 Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I should have mentioned that my wife is not an absolute beginner, and has ridden on /off for a few years with basic skills and becomes quite confident on green and easier blue trails after an hr or so. She's fit, strong and climbs well, but just feels like she's starting over each time getting back into it. I know Hartland quite well from riding there often years ago, but wondered if the new trail changes over the years had made things easier for someone at her level. I think either would be fine, but the Gravity Zone might offer more variety with the pump track and skills area to get warmed up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.044882
Mobile Version of Website