Powered by Outside

Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 22:04 Quote
Animal Akimbo are similar to the Profile Column cranks (22mm spline). Both have lifetime warranty.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 22:25 Quote
They might be similar spec size but profile's customer service going downhill these past years and that 99% of their publicity revolves around "hurrdurr murica" and "we've been around for sooo long" makes me trust the cranksets that I see getting thrashed daily (akimbos) way more

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 22:54 Quote
Animal is an American company, ( probably made in China products) very soon to have a 25% tariff tax. My point is that a lifetime warranty only matters if your company survives.

I haven't had or tried to warrantee crank arms. Even my Saints are about 1.5° skewed. I usually bend cranks enough to where I just replace them. The crappy Chinese stuff usually just snaps though.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 18:39 Quote
crs-one wrote:
dpilgrim44 wrote:
Hey guys, I won a pike dj from crankworx and decided to build a bike. I have a list of parts that I'm thinking about. I'm kind of on a budget so some parts I picked because they are on sale. This is my first dj, so let me know what you think and if any of the parts seem silly. Thanks for the help fellas.

Frame: O1 zircus
Fork: pike dj
Handlebars: spank (also from crankworx)
Wheels: spank spoon
Hubs: O1 orbital ss
Stem: spank 40mm
Headest: cane creek
BB: sram dub
Crankset: truvative descendant 6k 32t
Chain: kmc superlite
Saddle/post: deity pivotal
Brake: tektro hydraulic
Pedals: raceface chester

Thoughts and opinions welcome

I'd do a cheaper crankset and put that money into a nicer brake. Something cheap that takes a DM ring (Raceface Aeffect, SRAM GX, whatever) would be dialed, and frees up juuuust enough money for a Shimano Deore brake. I find that even the cheap Shimanos have a great lever shape/size for DJ riding, and once you're in the Shimano ecosystem, replacement parts are very widely available.

Confusingly enough, the Descendant 6k isn't carbon and isn't a lot of money. It's their cheapest DH crank iirc.

He has a point though, get a shimano deore level brake and walk away laughing.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
jespinal wrote:
They might be similar spec size but profile's customer service going downhill these past years and that 99% of their publicity revolves around "hurrdurr murica" and "we've been around for sooo long" makes me trust the cranksets that I see getting thrashed daily (akimbos) way more

I've still got my Profiles from the 80s and used them a few years ago when I warrantied out a newer crank arm when the pedal boss came loose (threads wearn't deep enough) and more recently sent abother set in when the arms got loose on the spindle. Customer service was great, took me a week to get a new set of cranks, cost me 14$ for shipping.

So yeah, hurrdurr merica!

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 19:56 Quote
Hurrdurr double post

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 3:14 Quote
The Shimano deore brakes are sick.

Mine is 4 years old. Have only bled it once and changed the pads once in all that time. Still works great.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 10:53 Quote
tom666 wrote:
The Shimano deore brakes are sick.

Mine is 4 years old. Have only bled it once and changed the pads once in all that time. Still works great.
you really can’t go wrong with the Deore , think mine cost me $65 Cad brand new with a rotor

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 11:21 Quote
Checked out the shimano, good advice, got one on order

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 22:40 Quote
Specialized p series freewheel is starting to lock up for some reason. How hard is it to service it/get a replacement one for it? Can any hub be converted to a single speed freewheel?? any other suggestions? the wheels are fine otherwise and don't really have money to buy new wheels..

Posted: Aug 25, 2018 at 0:03 Quote
3 and 4 pawl cassette drivers
falkyn wrote:
Specialized p series freewheel is starting to lock up for some reason. How hard is it to service it/get a replacement one for it? Can any hub be converted to a single speed freewheel?? any other suggestions? the wheels are fine otherwise and don't really have money to buy new wheels..

Is it the single speed cassette hub?

Usually, those hubs would start to slip because the pawl Interface would get rounded off, like my driver on the far right ( I have a parts bin full of those drivers). I've never had one lock up:

It sounds like one or more of those pawls is sticking. Your solution could be as easy as shooting the pawl's springs with Triflow/ cleaning out whatever is making them stick

Take the jam nuts off the axle, hammer the axle out from the non-drive side, and try to figure out why it is locking up. The driver/cassette should have three or four spring loaded pawls like my pic above (the pawls should compress easily with finger pressure). Again, I have a parts bin full of those things... so all you have to do is ask around and there should be a parts fix. I've got two of them with perfect pawls and bearings.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 6:54 Quote
Has anyone tried lowering a Yari for a DJ bike? Loads for cheap and they're burly as hell. Reasonably light too.
It'd be as simple as trimming the air shaft and cutting in new threads as far as I can tell.

Annoyingly rockshox have stopped listing axle to crown measurements but a 650b boost Yari at 80mm would be close enough to a 26 inch at 100-110 going by my very rough measurements.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 7:53 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Has anyone tried lowering a Yari for a DJ bike? Loads for cheap and they're burly as hell. Reasonably light too.
It'd be as simple as trimming the air shaft and cutting in new threads as far as I can tell.

Annoyingly rockshox have stopped listing axle to crown measurements but a 650b boost Yari at 80mm would be close enough to a 26 inch at 100-110 going by my very rough measurements.

if they sold it as a proper 26" 100mm fork, i would buy a Yari DJ. I run my fork stiff enough that i dont think the fancy charger damper in the Pike is worth the cost, but the burly blacked out chassis and tunable air spring of the Yari would be cool.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 11:45 Quote
kwietrick wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

if they sold it as a proper 26" 100mm fork, i would buy a Yari DJ. I run my fork stiff enough that i dont think the fancy charger damper in the Pike is worth the cost, but the burly blacked out chassis and tunable air spring of the Yari would be cool.
Pretty much my thinking. They should bring back the argyle as a MoCo damper in a 26 inch pike chassis, I reckon it's more likely as they already have the tooling and spares for it. Still unlikely...

Also I'm pissed that the new circus has a 15mm axle.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
Everyone: waaaah, 32s are noodles. Waaah, 34s are noodles. Waaah, we want 36, waah.

Also everyone: but make it a 15mm drop out tho.

Yes, i have 9, 15, and 20. ???? 20 is by far the stiffest.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029731
Mobile Version of Website