Powered by Outside

What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 17:58 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I've tried them on loads of times, not particularly impressed. Build quality is nice but the optical clarity wasn't noticeably better than any other high end goggle.

I don't think the price tag is justified. (Also, the black tear off posts on all oakley stuff is annoying as shit)

Yeah, I was thinking two goggles would be about the same price and last longer...but then I have to manage two pairs of goggles versus a bag with an extra set of lenses.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 18:03 Quote
Atleast in Chile, Oakley sunglasses are a crazy fad and EVERYONE has one. I think those sunglasses aren't THAT nice for how overpriced they are and you end up looking like everyone else. Oakley has pretting strong maketing. Literally everyone on the streets either have original or fake ones. I bought Spy Discord with Happy Lens in black stealth for $140usd off Amazon and they're totally awesome and you get the top offering from Spy. Plus the Happy Lens really do ake me happy! tup

On another note, I think I'm going with the Smith's Fuel v.2 for that Semenuk look! (guy in photo isn't Semenuk but those are the goggles I'm getting)
photo

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 18:40 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Bronco82 wrote:
TheMastodon wrote:

Its oakley, the price tag is never justified.

I beg to differ. My sunglasses are Oakley's and they're absolutely awesome. Even though you're paying for the name, the name carries experience and quality with it. But, I do agree that air brakes are way over priced. Most of their other stuff isn't to bad.
For sunglasses, my smiths are as nice as any oakley I've tried and almost half the price. My $80 retail masterminds have nonslip nose/ear pieces, $160 holbrooks don't. I almost ordered a pair of holbrooks but it's pointless given the price difference with smiths (even assuming retail prices. Industry makes smith shades even sweeter)

I got my holbrooks for $120.Big Grin But they were the only sunglasses I really liked. Plus, I'm pretty good with glasses as I have a pair of RX glasses that I have to take care of so I can see. As for goggles, I usually go cheap-ish since I know they're going to get beaten to hell by rocks and other fast moving abrasive crap.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 19:52 Quote
mike29 wrote:
TheMastodon wrote:
Zimmer68 wrote:

I still think airbrakes are worth the price, it's more than just the quick lens switch! You could by two goggles, but neither would be as comfortable or have as clear of vision. By "clear vision" I'm talking about the lack of distortion, it really sounds like a gimmick, but It makes a real difference in how you feel while wearing them (it makes it easy to forget you even have something in front of your eyes!). I wish they would lower the price a bit so people wouldn't be so skeptical about them.

I hate being an airbrake fanboy, but they truly are a step above every other goggle. If you forget about the price/style. Next to my bikes, airbrakes are my favourite piece of kit! And I've only been using them since this last fall Razz

And if anyones wondering why I'm always commenting about goggles more than anything else: When I was younger I rode a little bit of moto, was a snowboarder for a while, and played tournament paintball, so goggles are something close to my heart so to speak lol.

+1 airbrakes are amazing, especially the quality, step above every other goggle.
+2 love mine, worth every penny!

Giving this the +3. I have owned many pairs of goggles over the years for MX, Snow, etc. and for any non spherical lenses I have ever owned the optical clarity of the crowbar is superior. I have forgotten I was even wearing goggles on several occasions. Also I am glad they are as expensive as they are so people can hate on the price and won't get them. People can say they are not all that, but if they were $50 EVERYONE would have them except people who just like to hate on them. I guarantee all the big MX goggle players will be rolling out their copycats over the next few years. Another thing about the price is that while the initial investment is kinda pricey the fact that you can change out individual things like the padding for pretty cheap means that these will last a really long time. Also the lenses are only $20 which is a steal for how much better they are than any other lenses on the market.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 20:32 Quote
On Oakley's dick much?

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:03 Quote
Yeah I guess you could say that I am going to be "on the dick" of any company that is clearly making a superior product to their competitors. Oakley generally makes very quality products, anyone who has had any of their technical outer wear can attest to this. Hell even their socks are really nice. I am not like an "OMG Oakley is the only brand I rock!" kinda person. I really like the smith IO snow goggle with photochromic lens I think it is probably the best snow goggle out there. But I wouldn't say it is as far out in front of its competition as the Airbrake is. That is the reason that I praise it so highly. I really like having nice optics so I pay attention to small details of a product, if you don't really see much of a difference from other goggles then cool, save your money and spend it somewhere that it makes a bigger difference for you. I am just stating my opinion on the the goggles because I don't know that's what this thread is for . . . . But I have said my piece I will go back to telling people if their colors look cool or not. lol

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:07 Quote
Nobble wrote:
On Oakley's dick much?

I feel like you're the kinda guy that that gets smiths just to be different.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:09 Quote
TheMastodon wrote:
Nobble wrote:
On Oakley's dick much?

HAHAHA LOL! lol

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:30 Quote
TheMastodon wrote:
Nobble wrote:
On Oakley's dick much?

not really.

I've worn spy magnetos, klutch mx's, and omen MX's, smith intake, sweat x, Oakley crowbar, mayhem, and airbrake, 100% accuri and racecraft as well as blur b2's, and a lot of cheap goggles.

I owned for a long time, the blurs, all spy's, and the mayhems/crowbars. I actually gave away the crowbars and mayhems.

Currently I'm digging spy goggles, and smith shades.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:39 Quote
Don't worry Nobble, I'm sure you're a swell guy, you're just wearing the wrong goggles! Whip

Anyways, on an unrelated note. Has anyone else tried wearing snow googles while biking? After seeing Chris VD in his bolle's, I wonder why that's not more common? Generally snow gogs deal with fogging better, are lighter, and have wider peripheral vision. Plus we don't need to deal with roost the way the mx guys do, and with the slightly slower speeds, etc..

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 21:42 Quote
Zimmer68 wrote:
Don't worry Nobble, I'm sure you're a swell guy, you're just wearing the wrong goggles! Whip

Anyways, on an unrelated note. Has anyone else tried wearing snow googles while biking? After seeing Chris VD in his bolle's, I wonder why that's not more common? Generally snow gogs deal with fogging better, are lighter, and have wider peripheral vision. Plus we don't need to deal with roost the way the mx guys do, and with the slightly slower speeds, etc..
Cuz $180 base line for goggles that are actually different than mx goggles is just outrageous...

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 22:09 Quote
Zimmer68 wrote:

most snow lenses are like $40-60 instead of $10-20 for a MX lens, they're also designed without consideration for a full face or tearoffs. An eye port on a full face is only so big.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 22:10 Quote
schuster19 wrote:
Zimmer68 wrote:

Cuz $180 base line for goggles that are actually different than mx goggles is just outrageous...

Not to mention that lenses usually take more abuse doing mtb than skiing and snow lenses are generally $50+

Edit- what Nobble said haha

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 22:19 Quote
Zimmer68 wrote:

With aibrake mx you can use snow lenses from the airbrake snow, its what jared graves does, Don't see why you'd mud and dirt on your nice snow lenses though.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 22:28 Quote
I can attest to snow goggle lenses not being able to handle abuse- 2 days of bike park riding wrecked my old grenades.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020996
Mobile Version of Website