Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 10:12 Quote
That's an interesting perspective. It's what I wonder about too, but with bikes where you can run full 29 or as MX, albeit with suspension changes via flip chips or revised linkages, would the slackening, chain stay lengths and wheelbase dynamics you mention not largely continue to be the same? And if so, why do some keep extolling the improved cornering performance?
robcartwheel wrote:
Thanks for the input. I do wonder about "mulleting" a 29'er where the suspension links weren't designed as such. The Druid and Dreadnought have unique MX linkages, whereas the Evil Offering V1 I have doesn't. Will slapping a 27.5 or 27.5+ on the back whilst changing nothing else have the desired effect or will it be a step back?

ethanrevitch wrote:
roxtar wrote:

I'm curious as to why people want to mullet their 29" bikes.
It makes sense for a 27.5 (like Santa Cruz has done with the Nomad and Bronson) because you're adding 29" rolling to your 27.5 handling.

Mulleting a 29" bike will make the rear end more susceptible to square edge hits but you won't get the 27.5" traits (quickness and responsiveness) because you still have 29" wheelbase and chainstays. Plus you're slackening the seat tube angle which will adversly affect the handling and climbing.

To me, it just adds the 27.5 negatives without the positives and messes up the geometry.
A net loss IMO.
Take the Druid or Dreadnought for example they're normally full 29 and they ride great but making it mullet makes it so much better.

To comment on your point for why people would mullet their bike: it corners and jumps so much better not to mention it's a stiffer rear end because of the smaller wheel. I do believe that the 29 front wheel is almost are much roll over as a full 29 (yes I know some of the roll over comes from the rear). Personally, I would never go back.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 10:13 Quote
robcartwheel wrote:
Thanks for the input. I do wonder about "mulleting" a 29'er where the suspension links weren't designed as such. The Druid and Dreadnought have unique MX linkages, whereas the Evil Offering V1 I have doesn't. Will slapping a 27.5 or 27.5+ on the back whilst changing nothing else have the desired effect or will it be a step back?

ethanrevitch wrote:
roxtar wrote:

It makes sense for a 27.5 (like Santa Cruz has done with the Nomad and Bronson) because you're adding 29" rolling to your 27.5 handling.

Mulleting a 29" bike will make the rear end more susceptible to square edge hits but you won't get the 27.5" traits (quickness and responsiveness) because you still have 29" wheelbase and chainstays. Plus you're slackening the seat tube angle which will adversly affect the handling and climbing.

To me, it just adds the 27.5 negatives without the positives and messes up the geometry.
A net loss IMO.
Take the Druid or Dreadnought for example they're normally full 29 and they ride great but making it mullet makes it so much better.

To comment on your point for why people would mullet their bike: it corners and jumps so much better not to mention it's a stiffer rear end because of the smaller wheel. I do believe that the 29 front wheel is almost are much roll over as a full 29 (yes I know some of the roll over comes from the rear). Personally, I would never go back.

To me, it seems like a step back. I really don't see what that would improve and I can see things it would definitely lessen. It's a pretty damn nimble bike as is.
I think a far better way to go would be an angleset. That way you can slacken the headtube angle without it affecting the seat tube, or any other angles.
I run my offering in the low setting with a 1.5* angleset and it feels like the best of both worlds.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 13:02 Quote
roxtar wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
roxtar wrote:

A net loss IMO.

See, engineering wise, it doesn't really make sense that it would jump and corner better. The wheelbase is the same, The chainstay length is the same. You didn't change anything that would improve nimbleness such as shortening the wheelbase and chainstays or steepening the angles. The geometry of the bike is the same except that you now made everything slacker. Slacking a bike out will generally do the opposite; make it less nimble and playful.

That slackening (is that a word Rolleyes ) might improve the steep DH performance but, as a general rule, will downgrade the cornering and overall playfulness of the bike.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that, as an engineer, the numbers don't jibe.

I've never ridden a mullet so I don't know to what extent these might be true, but:

I'd say possibly the benefits people feel for cornering, jumping, etc. come from a lowered bottom bracket height/center of gravity that mulleting a bike would provide.

Less rotational weight in the back might make it easier to flick the back end of a bike around (albeit not really an issue on Evil bikes to start with)

The smaller wheel might contour to a steeper jump transition a bit better than a 29er.

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 14:50 Quote
I mulleted a 29 capra with the flip chip in high postion and LOVED it for descending and jumping felt more maneuverable and safer, climbing was quite terrible. ALSO cranks are very close to the ground when landing and maneuvering.

A bike designed arould mx (mullet) is far better designed that a bike you bastardize it on.

For example my insurgent mx has a great BB height when descending because it was designed for that…. I will say that bike still sucks at climbing and all mullet bikes will be compared to a full 29 (some better than others). Rear end on mx will also always break traction sooner and get more hung up on square edge rocks, especially when going slow . All depends on your uses around the bike.

Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 20:52 Quote
For short travel trail bikes, I like 29 f&r. For long travel (+6”), I’ll only do mullets. Tire buzz sucks on big bikes with 29 rear. Lost two AXS batteries on my dropper post from buzzing on big drops and steeps. Mullet is nice to toss around too!

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2023 at 10:34 Quote
fredro wrote:
For short travel trail bikes, I like 29 f&r. For long travel (+6”), I’ll only do mullets. Tire buzz sucks on big bikes with 29 rear. Lost two AXS batteries on my dropper post from buzzing on big drops and steeps. Mullet is nice to toss around too!

+1. i thought full 29 all the time until i tried a mullet. then when i went back to long travel 29er, i was getting tire buzz at very inopportune times. Mullet for life

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2023 at 11:55 Quote
it's too low, not good. i tried it on my offering v2 and it was just good in the park
robcartwheel wrote:
Question to evil offering owners out there. Views on setting up a V1 offering as mullet? Good/not good? Currently running cascade links and 11-6 push shock. Need angle set headset? Views appreciated.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2023 at 11:59 Quote
how does a bigger bike affect you sitting on the rear 29er?
fredro wrote:

Posted: Dec 2, 2023 at 12:03 Quote
nicoenduro wrote:
fredro wrote:

Bigger bike means longer travel, which also means more aggressive terrain, which also means getting behind the rear wheel on steeps and rollers. In addition, bigger drops and bigger jumps, leading to more tire buzz and less clearance with 29 rear wheel.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2023 at 13:10 Quote
fredro wrote:
nicoenduro wrote:
fredro wrote:

Bigger bike means longer travel, which also means more aggressive terrain, which also means getting behind the rear wheel on steeps and rollers. In addition, bigger drops and bigger jumps, leading to more tire buzz and less clearance with 29 rear wheel.

Agreed, depends on the bike a bit too, if you have a 29er with a tall front its not so bad Ive also noticed that taller dudes (over 5’10”) dont have but buzz as much with a full 29er but yeah mullet is more maneuverable and feels safer on steeps

Posted: Dec 3, 2023 at 18:22 Quote
Anyone with experience putting a dual crown on the V3 wreckoning? Curious on input with one.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2023 at 3:44 Quote
That would be sick as long as you can keep the offset the same. Ive thought about it on the insurgent but the Zeb or 38 these days is basically damn close to what the old boxxer would be in terms of travel and stiffness. If you got a zeb you can cheaply do a 190 airshaft for 45$

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2023 at 7:10 Quote
Ok, I have my final post (hopefully) on the Works Component angleset bearing replacements.
I finished my bearing replacement last week with the following results.
Both Cane Creek and Enduro make direct replacements for the lower bearing. You need a 52mm OD with 45/45 bevels:

Cane Creek part # BAA-1161

Enduro offers two; Part# ACB 4545 150 SS & ACB 4545 150 BO (Which, I believe, is the same as the Cane Creek one above)

For the upper bearing, you have two ways to go. To use the WC upper assy, the Enduro Part# ACB 4545 1125T SS is a direct replacement, at 41mm with 45/45 bevels.

The other option is to use either of the Cane Creek 40 upper bearings 41mm with 36/45 bevels and matching compression ring.

Upper Bearing Part#s BAA1130 & BAA1054,
Compression Ring Part# AAA0001B

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2023 at 8:48 Quote
Pretty sure works now supplys black oxide steel bearings in all their new headsets.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014795
Mobile Version of Website