Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
Wharny tomorrow, big plans, lots of pedalling.
Will update!

Not been to Gisburn is ages, always enjoyed it.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
does anyone know if a 600mil fidlock bottle will fit in a medium alloy spire?

thanks in advance

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
pineapplepizza wrote:

thanks in advance

Here is my Large with a 600ml Fidlock bottle and it only just fits.
photo

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
FWIW a lezyne side loader cage just fits on my med alloy. I filed the bolt slots on the cage to move it down a bit lower so the bottle cap didn’t hit the top tube.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Been out today for a decent pedal - 21 miles, 3500 feet.

A mix of steep tech DH to start with some decent drops and chutes, some tarmac and a mellow fire road to get to the good stuff, which is steep, greasy, rooty, tight. (Wharnclife for those than know), over the road to Peaty's Steel City track in Greno, then a swoopy singletrack descent before a steep 400 foot 12-13% slog uphill to finish. A proper decent all round ride with some good DH tracks thrown in to the mix.

I was a bit nervous - on paper the Spire is a big old bike, in person it looks like a mini DH rig so I was wondering how it would handle it.

Better than my '16 Patrol it would seem! It was far more stable down., ripped round tight corners, grip for days, the forks ride really high with lots of support but stay supple. It turned really well while feeling super stable at the same time.

I did floss my bum crack on the big back wheel a couple of times and it didn't feel as keen to flick the back around - I'm more of a point and shooter than flicker and scrubber.

The surprise was the slog climb - 1/4 mile and Strava seems to think it gets to 20% for a good bit of it. Last time up on the old Patrol I did 5 mins twice. Today I'm no fitter and was saving some energy for the end of the day but I got up it twice in 4:15 4:20! It felt easier. The steep seat angle offset any slackness and felt great. It also took on the last winch really well and I had energy to sprint a bit. The bike hardly moves under pedalling with virtually no bob but tracked really well.

Still getting used to the tyres, need to fiddle with the shocks further and the conditions were awful - but it's going to be great.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
diggery wrote:

A mix of steep tech DH to start with some decent drops and chutes, some tarmac and a mellow fire road to get to the good stuff, which is steep, greasy, rooty, tight. (Wharnclife for those than know), over the road to Peaty's Steel City track in Greno, then a swoopy singletrack descent before a steep 400 foot 12-13% slog uphill to finish. A proper decent all round ride with some good DH tracks thrown in to the mix.

I was a bit nervous - on paper the Spire is a big old bike, in person it looks like a mini DH rig so I was wondering how it would handle it.

Better than my '16 Patrol it would seem! It was far more stable down., ripped round tight corners, grip for days, the forks ride really high with lots of support but stay supple. It turned really well while feeling super stable at the same time.

I did floss my bum crack on the big back wheel a couple of times and it didn't feel as keen to flick the back around - I'm more of a point and shooter than flicker and scrubber.

The surprise was the slog climb - 1/4 mile and Strava seems to think it gets to 20% for a good bit of it. Last time up on the old Patrol I did 5 mins twice. Today I'm no fitter and was saving some energy for the end of the day but I got up it twice in 4:15 4:20! It felt easier. The steep seat angle offset any slackness and felt great. It also took on the last winch really well and I had energy to sprint a bit. The bike hardly moves under pedalling with virtually no bob but tracked really well.

Still getting used to the tyres, need to fiddle with the shocks further and the conditions were awful - but it's going to be great.

What's your build?

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:
pineapplepizza wrote:

thanks in advance

photo

Frown i guess the 600mil fidlock wont fit in the medium frame
do you know of any other fidlock-style bottles that would fit in a medium alloy frame?

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
falkyn wrote:
What's your build?

Carbon XT

It's a fantastic build, I love XT, DT Swiss and OneUp.

I'm not a fan of the stem and the 35mm bars feel quite harsh.
Trying to decide if I put some OneUp 35mm on, or a 31.8 bars and stem.

I'm usually a Maxxis rider so getting used to the Schwalbes.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
i'm planning to put a megneg on my superdeluxe. I would like a bit more mid stroke support. how much progression i want, i'll know after setting up the negative chamber.

is anyone here running a megneg und would like to share his settings?

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 23:20 Quote
pineapplepizza wrote:
mlambert223 wrote:
pineapplepizza wrote:

thanks in advance

photo

do you know of any other fidlock-style bottles that would fit in a medium alloy frame?

Fidlock do a 450 and 590ml bottle with chamfered edges that might fit. If not the 450 definitely would.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
diggery wrote:

Sounds like a good ride and a great all round test of the bikes ability. I haven't really done any decent pedals days yet with long climbs, so I'm glad to hear it goes well.

The bars don't feel to have much back sweep compared to other bars I've used. Thinking of chamging mine out for some Deity's.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:
pineapplepizza wrote:
mlambert223 wrote:

photo

Fidlock do a 450 and 590ml bottle with chamfered edges that might fit. If not the 450 definitely would.

thanks for the info

Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 1:44 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:

Sounds like a good ride and a great all round test of the bikes ability. I haven't really done any decent pedals days yet with long climbs, so I'm glad to hear it goes well.

Yup! Definitely the longer end of what I want to do on it, I'll take the hardtail for long rides and this is more DH focused days with pedaling. Suffice to say it delivers and outperformed my expectations.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
Anyone had a "tire touch" or "top out" mechanical sound when lading big drops on there spire?

Cant put my finger on where the problem is, After it did it the other day I checked the shock immediately and it still had 10-15mm left from what i could see on the dirt ring.

No visuals on the frame to identify where its coming from either...

Very confused

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
hi there
i saw that yall are enjoying your time on the spire. so i am on the hype train.
what sizes did you choose?
i am on a good day 178cm tall. anyone who is the same height and has bought the spire?
dont wanna make the mistake that the bike is too long or short

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012897
Mobile Version of Website