Powered by Outside

YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
coiler wrote:
Hey there,
After test riding the new Genius 940 I've ordered an 29 AL comp (yeah pure logic) and surprise surprise its shipping on Monday. Going tubeless + the down tube protector right away - anything other that is good to look for right away?

Cheers!

--Check all of your pivot bolts for tightness, and after every ride for the first few rides
--Take some bands out of the rear shock; probably all of them
--If you haven't yet, order a Thirstmaster, otherwise you can do the Specialized Roll Cage and small bottle option
--Shorten the brake hoses (optional, but not for my OCD)
--Re-pack your bearings (optional)
--Emotionally prepare yourself for the endless accolades of women swarming you every ride

What do you mean by taking the bands out of the rear shock? Is that the same as air spacers?

Also, what are some good and inexpensive options for downtube protection?

I just got a Genius 940 myself.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 13:41 Quote
Tomac661 wrote:
tom666 wrote:
Tomac661 wrote:

Well thats shitty...

Look at a Transition Sentinel

I went to a local shop today to check out the Smuggler and Sentinel. I’m really digging the Smuggler, although i’m having a tough time wrapping my mind around the price. Its especially hard when comparing to these direct to consumer brands.

Super late reply.

There's no denying the YTs are better value builds. They just are. You get better kit for your buck.

But if the Transition fits a lot better that's worth a lot. In time you'll probably upgrade a lot of the parts anyway.

Transitions also have really good resale value - up there with Santa Cruz and Yeti for that. Where as YTs, Canyons, Radons etc don't normally fetch a whole lot second hand - so you can potentially justify it.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 14:42 Quote
I’ve just fitted a DB in-line coil to my 2017 Jeffsy CFOne.

Had my first (very brief) ride out on it today, and although it still needs fine tuning, I have to say that combine with the Luftkappe I’ve had fitted to the Pike, it’s transformed what was already a great handling bike.

More to follow as I get it dialled in.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 14:45 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
I’ve just fitted a DB in-line coil to my 2017 Jeffsy CFOne.

Had my first (very brief) ride out on it today, and although it still needs fine tuning, I have to say that combine with the Luftkappe I’ve had fitted to the Pike, it’s transformed what was already a great handling bike.

More to follow as I get it dialled in.

I'm very interested bud! Doing the same thing but waiting for the CC Helm 29er coil fork to be released.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 15:32 Quote
I finally got those 4 pot XT calipers installed and my Jeffsy and now it starts to be in "Race ready" condition for the upcoming season... Smile

I still have the 150mm airshaft for Pike waiting to be installed, but the bike feels now very nice and balanced, so I'm not in a hurry fitting that in right now, the stock 140mm with luftkappe is working very well... Cool

Jeffsy 29 current build on May 2018

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 16:41 Quote
chacou wrote:
Just want to give a huge shout out to e13 for the quick response to my warranty claim on the TRS+ cassette. I'm about 70 miles into my Jeffsy ALC and noticed the other day a ticking noise coming from my drive train and back pedaling skipping the chain down the cassette. Upon inspection I noticed that I had bent about 5-6 teeth on the 46t cog on the TRS+ cassette. Emailed e13, sent some pics and video, and there's a new alloy carrier already in the mail. Although, it would be nice for this to have not happened in the first place, their customer service has really impressed me and I really need that granny gear for the big climbs in Colorado. That's all.

I had a really rough shift under load 2nd time out on my cassette and bent two teeth on the 46t cog. I was able to bend them back and hasn't been and issue but I was wondering if others have had that problem...seem a little fragile.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 17:10 Quote
mkul7r4 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
coiler wrote:
Hey there,
After test riding the new Genius 940 I've ordered an 29 AL comp (yeah pure logic) and surprise surprise its shipping on Monday. Going tubeless + the down tube protector right away - anything other that is good to look for right away?

Cheers!

--Check all of your pivot bolts for tightness, and after every ride for the first few rides
--Take some bands out of the rear shock; probably all of them
--If you haven't yet, order a Thirstmaster, otherwise you can do the Specialized Roll Cage and small bottle option
--Shorten the brake hoses (optional, but not for my OCD)
--Re-pack your bearings (optional)
--Emotionally prepare yourself for the endless accolades of women swarming you every ride

What do you mean by taking the bands out of the rear shock? Is that the same as air spacers?

Also, what are some good and inexpensive options for downtube protection?

I just got a Genius 940 myself.

Yeah, the bands are air volume spacers. My Jeffsy came stock with 4 bands installed; it was a TON better when I took 3 of them out (190lbs geared).

I use this stuff for frame protection from scratches; if you want something more meaningful do the Kydex method from a few pages back

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 3:34 Quote
motoxxxer26 wrote:

I'm very interested bud! Doing the same thing but waiting for the CC Helm 29er coil fork to be released.

Yeah, one of those may end up on my Christmas list too...

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 4:35 Quote
I know this has been done to death but I'd like to ask if anyone can confirm if the Thirstmaster $3000 bottle cage & bottle on the current YT website has the issue of it being rubbish (according to people on the internet I don't know) sorted?

Looking to get one for my '17 Jeffsy AL1.

Big kisses x

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 4:47 Quote
neillyb wrote:
I know this has been done to death but I'd like to ask if anyone can confirm if the Thirstmaster $3000 bottle cage & bottle on the current YT website has the issue of it being rubbish (according to people on the internet I don't know) sorted?

Big kisses x
They fixed the Thirstmaster a while back. I just got one a couple months ago for my 2016 cf one and it’s great. No issues whatsoever.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 4:58 Quote
thetimanator wrote:
neillyb wrote:

Big kisses x
They fixed the Thirstmaster a while back. I just got one a couple months ago for my 2016 cf one and it’s great. No issues whatsoever.

Thank you thetimanator!

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
Looks great! How are you getting on with the DVO in the rear? thinking of upgrading to that myself

Vertti83 wrote:
I finally got those 4 pot XT calipers installed and my Jeffsy and now it starts to be in "Race ready" condition for the upcoming season... Smile

I still have the 150mm airshaft for Pike waiting to be installed, but the bike feels now very nice and balanced, so I'm not in a hurry fitting that in right now, the stock 140mm with luftkappe is working very well... Cool

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
rmccready1 wrote:
Looks great! How are you getting on with the DVO in the rear? thinking of upgrading to that myself

The Topaz was a HUGE improvement over the stock Monarch RT3, especially the difference in small bump compliance is like night and day. I have it now without any volume spacers, but I might experiment a bit on those. I run about 25% sag with 180 psi on the piggyback, and the midstroke support and progression seems very nice this way.

@Zsandstrom recommended couple of pages back trying one volume spacer for the negative chamber, which I might try when I have a bit more spare time, but so far I haven't seen that much need for tune the volumes, as it is already performing very well...

So 5/5 I would recommend this shock for a Jeffsy...

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
rmccready1 wrote:

The Topaz was a HUGE improvement over the stock Monarch RT3, especially the difference in small bump compliance is like night and day. I have it now without any volume spacers, but I might experiment a bit on those. I run about 25% sag with 180 psi on the piggyback, and the midstroke support and progression seems very nice this way.

@Zsandstrom recommended couple of pages back trying one volume spacer for the negative chamber, which I might try when I have a bit more spare time, but so far I haven't seen that much need for tune the volumes, as it is already performing very well...

does it use the same bushings or do you need special ones, and if so, are they included?

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 8:19 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:
rmccready1 wrote:

does it use the same bushings or do you need special ones, and if so, are they included?

Depends on where you order, but they are generally included. However, I was able to use the bushings from my Monarch and they work just fine. I'm saving the shiny ones that came with the shock for a future rebuild.

Also, the Topaz is the shit. I love that shock. If they made it in 250x70, I'd buy one for my Capra.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019348
Mobile Version of Website