Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 1:31 Quote
A mate watched me ride a rocky section and the fork hardly moved. Fox recommend 5 clicks HSC from closed, out of 8. I spoke to a few mates and seems fully open or 1 click in is better, with some LSC to prevent brake dive. Going to try that soon.

Wrapped the bike in Invisiframe last night since there are a few potential rub points and some angular tubes.My Patrol looks like new 6 years later so think it's a good plan. Half way through I wished I'd got the raw ally and left is bare! Took 4 hours in the end as all the angles and contours made it hard to stick and it kept lifting even with only a little spray. The kit is incredible, very detailed and covers everything. Maybe they should be a 'lite' version for the main contact areas only. I don't want to check for bubbles and lifted corners today!

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
I've been using 3M clean kits off Amazon, takes some extra work to cut them to size but they work great and easy to remove when its time to sell the bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
Greetings!

This is Lars here from Transition. I thought we had published this to the Spire and Patrol FAQ section on our website, but it seems we neglected to. We're on it now. Until then, I thought I'd share these here. These apply to both Spire and newest Patrol models.

These are our suggested settings. Obviously everyone will be different depending on preferences, body weight etc. I weigh about 160lbs right now, and would say I'm in the middle of the road average rider weight. But should be at least a good starting point. Sam here runs about 230psi in his shock, and has only had to add a click or two of rebound and compression to get his shock feeling good for him.

Remember, always count clicks from fully closed/clockwise.

I run my compression about 75% open which allows the bike to feel active underneath me. Due to the nature of the leverage curve and progression, the Spire/Patrol don't rely on heavy damping to feel active and still provide good support. I run my high speed rebound more on the open side to allow the bike to recover quickly from single deep stroke compressions, and repetitive impacts. Too much HSR will keep the bike trapped down in the travel. I generally get my HSR set to where it feels good and leave it, then make micro adjustments via the low speed rebound. Think of HSR as chassis recovery, and LSR as chassis stabilization. When the low speed rebound is too open, the bike will encounter more yaw (more pitching fore/aft from rider weight input and transfer). I would suggest approaching fork setup in the same way.

Non aggressive setup. I would probably have things a bit more closed if I was still racing and riding really hard every day like I have in the past. So these should be a great starting point.

Float X2 205x65mm / MD Spire - Lars 160lbs.

PSI - 170 (20mm sag / 30%)
HSC - 6 (Total clicks 9)
LSC - 11 (Total clicks 16)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)
LSR - 8 (Total clicks 17)

Fox 38 170mm / MD Spire - Lars 160lbs

PSI - 80 Stock VS - 1 (I don't pay attention to sag on forks)
HSC - 5 (Total clicks 7)
LSC - 10 (Total clicks 17)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)
LSR - 10 9Total clicks 14)

Cheers!

cogsci wrote:
<Deleted photo>

Second ride on the Spire today. I went with the Fox manual baseline settings for the fork and shock since transition doesn't offer a recommended set up guide unlike most manufacturers.

So far it feels high in the travel, and sort of springy.

I've increased the sag in the front and reduced LSR a bit, will see what its like after that.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Larss wrote:
Greetings!

This is Lars here from Transition. I thought we had published this to the Spire and Patrol FAQ section on our website, but it seems we neglected to. We're on it now. Until then, I thought I'd share these here. These apply to both Spire and newest Patrol models.

These are our suggested settings. Obviously everyone will be different depending on preferences, body weight etc. I weigh about 160lbs right now, and would say I'm in the middle of the road average rider weight. But should be at least a good starting point. Sam here runs about 230psi in his shock, and has only had to add a click or two of rebound and compression to get his shock feeling good for him.

I run my compression about 75% open which allows the bike to feel active underneath me. Due to the nature of the leverage curve and progression, the Spire/Patrol don't rely on heavy damping to feel active and still provide good support. I run my high speed rebound more on the open side to allow the bike to recover quickly from single deep stroke compressions, and repetitive impacts. Too much HSR will keep the bike trapped down in the travel. I generally get my HSR set to where it feels good and leave it, then make micro adjustments via the low speed rebound. Think of HSR as chassis recovery, and LSR as chassis stabilization. When the low speed rebound is too open, the bike will encounter more yaw (more pitching fore/aft from rider weight input and transfer). I would suggest approaching fork setup in the same way.

Non aggressive setup. I would probably have things a bit more closed if I was still racing and riding really hard every day like I have in the past. So these should be a great starting point.

HSC - 6 (Total clicks 9)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

HSC - 5 (Total clicks 7)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

Cheers!
[

By chance do you have any base settings you could post for GX builds on spire.patrol for rockshox suspension

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
I emailed Transition when I first got my Spire and they sent me these settings. It felt great right away. I've been playing with a Shockwiz, I've only done the fork so far. I'm at a 92 score with these settings. The only thing the Shockwiz recommended was adding two clicks of low speed compression on the fork. So these should get you really close.

Larss wrote:
Greetings!

HSC - 6 (Total clicks 9)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

HSC - 5 (Total clicks 7)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

Cheers!

cogsci wrote:
<Deleted photo>

Second ride on the Spire today. I went with the Fox manual baseline settings for the fork and shock since transition doesn't offer a recommended set up guide unlike most manufacturers.

So far it feels high in the travel, and sort of springy.

I've increased the sag in the front and reduced LSR a bit, will see what its like after that.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
Thanks for that Lars. It is interesting to see how similar some of the settings are to Fox's baseline.

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 3:03 Quote
I'm 80kg and I ride 180 PSI at 30% sag. I go even softer with the damping then Fox and TR provide on the X2 to get it alive.

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 4:46 Quote
nd54 wrote:
Larss wrote:
Greetings!

HSC - 6 (Total clicks 9)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

HSC - 5 (Total clicks 7)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

Cheers!
[

By chance do you have any base settings you could post for GX builds on spire.patrol for rockshox suspension
Hi lars, thanks for the infos do you have a video or something to help to decide wich bike i should get, i cant decide between the spire or the patrol

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
nd54 wrote:
Larss wrote:
Greetings!

HSC - 6 (Total clicks 9)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

HSC - 5 (Total clicks 7)
HSR - 5 (Total clicks 7)

Cheers!
[

Hi lars, thanks for the infos do you have a video or something to help to decide wich bike i should get, i cant decide between the spire or the patrol

fanatik has a great video on the spire vs patrol
check our their yt channel

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
pineapplepizza wrote:
stonedbiker420 wrote:
nd54 wrote:

Yeah i saw that, but i want something with more infos. Great video but a little short. Dont know if i wanna go full 29er again or try something new with a mullet setup

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
Does anyone have an opinion of an 11-6 on the Spire?

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
pineapplepizza wrote:
stonedbiker420 wrote:

Yeah i saw that, but i want something with more infos. Great video but a little short. Dont know if i wanna go full 29er again or try something new with a mullet setup

With the Spire, you can go mullet if you want, but in the Patrol you only can run mullet, not full 29"

Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
cogsci wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion of an 11-6 on the Spire?

When talked with transition they said they have a racer on that setup.

I really like my EXT on it

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
Looking at the spire, haven’t been able to test ride yet. I currently have a scout and test rode an s3 spec enduro and was shocked the enduro easily out climbed my scout i was noticeably faster. Does anyone have any experience on the spire vs scout or spire vs enduro climbing?

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
Fat Tire Cycles in Albuquerque, NM has a Large Huckleberry GX in stock if anyone is close. Ask for Mackenzie (my daughter) if you call to inquire.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016108
Mobile Version of Website