Powered by Outside

Why is everybody asking so much for there bikes?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why is everybody asking so much for there bikes?
O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
kinda a cool idea but youre gonna get a crap load of lowball offers.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:

Thats what im expecting, still kept my other ads up just in case. I probably wont get any offers.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
I tend not to overstate the value here on Pinkbike since buyers tend to know what they are buying, and aren't skinflints. I have noticed more and more people do the "What's the lowest you will take" as the first message or lowball you. Usually these people joined the same day. Seems like they're from Craigslist where that behavior is the norm, I usually will list things there a percentage higher because of the lowballing. You can give things away for free there, and you'll get somebody asking to deliver it to them, and install it.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
vitesse wrote:
I tend not to overstate the value here on Pinkbike since buyers tend to know what they are buying, and aren't skinflints. I have noticed more and more people do the "What's the lowest you will take" as the first message or lowball you. Usually these people joined the same day. Seems like they're from Craigslist where that behavior is the norm, I usually will list things there a percentage higher because of the lowballing. You can give things away for free there, and you'll get somebody asking to deliver it to them, and install it.
Honestly that is what I started with when I got my Spitfire, guy said something about some locals were looking at it so had to pay full asking(1400 shipped from Florida to Wisconsin). I know I shouldn’t be that guy but money is money so I don’t really care.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
i bought my zerode on here for $4800 shipped. it was only a few months old. would have cost me $11000 if i was to buy everything new. theres deals out there just have to be patient and keep an eye out

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
Just like buying a car, the listed price for a used bike is always a starting point. Make an offer.

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
Just offer 0.00 dollars, so you can meet each other somewhere in the middle.

FL
Posted: Apr 14, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Anybody for starting a nice price vs. crackpipe thread ala jalopnik?

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
The asking prices have probably gone up because the new bike prices are up & everyone wants to make it worth selling the old bike so they can put that money towards a new one.
Yeah your probably right because the price of these new bikes are crazy it would be better to just buy a frame of the bike you want which are usually cheap and build it up the way you want.

O+ FL
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Used bikes is for sure a buyers market: rapid technological change, high depreciation/luxury items etc. There's some insane fool in Ontario trying to sell a 2015 Bronson for $8600CAD that has had it up for over a year now. People convince themselves their asset is worth $x and unless it's a sellers market (i.e. scarce item in demand like certain limited production supercars like the McLaren F1) that's just not the case.

I find the best deals are from industry guys selling their 1 year old bike in the winter/spring as they build up their new bike. Usually in great shape, top spec and they will sell for 50% MSRP. Average joes with decent builds always expect way too much.

When you can buy a NEW 1-year old bike for 65-70% MSRP from a bike shop with warranty, I would not even consider a used bike for more than 60% MSRP with a small fudge factor for legit upgrades. People listing at 70+% MSRP are dreaming.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Used bikes is for sure a buyers market: rapid technological change, high depreciation/luxury items etc. There's some insane fool in Ontario trying to sell a 2015 Bronson for $8600CAD that has had it up for over a year now. People convince themselves their asset is worth $x and unless it's a sellers market (i.e. scarce item in demand like certain limited production supercars like the McLaren F1) that's just not the case.

I find the best deals are from industry guys selling their 1 year old bike in the winter/spring as they build up their new bike. Usually in great shape, top spec and they will sell for 50% MSRP. Average joes with decent builds always expect way too much.

When you can buy a NEW 1-year old bike for 65-70% MSRP from a bike shop with warranty, I would not even consider a used bike for more than 60% MSRP with a small fudge factor for legit upgrades. People listing at 70+% MSRP are dreaming.

Yeah totally. The warranty thing is huge. Buying a used bike, even if it's only like a month old that somebody is selling because they have the wrong size, have to move, injured themselves,etc, still isn't a great deal because warranty isn't transferable. Most parts only have a 1-2 year warranty, but if anything serious goes wrong with them, you're at least covered for that. Buying used you don't get that option unless it's a shop demo and they're willing to act on your behalf if something goes wrong.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Yeah totally. The warranty thing is huge. Buying a used bike, even if it's only like a month old that somebody is selling because they have the wrong size, have to move, injured themselves,etc, still isn't a great deal because warranty isn't transferable. Most parts only have a 1-2 year warranty, but if anything serious goes wrong with them, you're at least covered for that. Buying used you don't get that option unless it's a shop demo and they're willing to act on your behalf if something goes wrong.

Specialized does transferable warranty.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:

Lowballing is easily solved with putting "price negotiation is possible only in person" at the ad. That way you only get serious buyers coming to look at the bike and ignore all lowballers watching too much Pawn Stars and Storage Hunters... :-)

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
onyxss wrote:

Lowballing is easily solved with putting "price negotiation is possible only in person" at the ad. That way you only get serious buyers coming to look at the bike and ignore all lowballers watching too much Pawn Stars and Storage Hunters... :-)

I have literally had a buyer come to my house, test ride the bike, say they wanted it, and then say they only had $200 short of what we had previously agreed on. I knew they had driven far so I didn’t budge and they ended up driving to an atm to get the rest.

On another occasion I had someone agree to a price on a frame. I meet up and he has a personal check that he needs to cash before paying me. It is sunday so no bank is open. I tell him he can deposit it in an atm and pull out some of it immediately. This genius goes to the nearest atm and pulls the max amount he can. I ask if he was able to deposit it and he says that it wasn’t his banks atm. So we then go to his bank and as he is trying to deposit it, he leaves his card in the machine too long and it eats his card. After wasting 90 minutes of my time I tell him to piss off and call me when he has cash in hand.

People will seriously waste so much of everyone’s time thinking they can get a better price out of you.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
Austink wrote:
onyxss wrote:

I have literally had a buyer come to my house, test ride the bike, say they wanted it, and then say they only had $200 short of what we had previously agreed on. I knew they had driven far so I didn’t budge and they ended up driving to an atm to get the rest.

Haha i was trying to sell a bike for 1200$ and a guy said he only brought 800$, the bike 2as for his kid. Im not good at social interaction but i manned up and told him i would wait at my house until he had the money. I got 1250 put of him.

On another occasion I had someone agree to a price on a frame. I meet up and he has a personal check that he needs to cash before paying me. It is sunday so no bank is open. I tell him he can deposit it in an atm and pull out some of it immediately. This genius goes to the nearest atm and pulls the max amount he can. I ask if he was able to deposit it and he says that it wasn’t his banks atm. So we then go to his bank and as he is trying to deposit it, he leaves his card in the machine too long and it eats his card. After wasting 90 minutes of my time I tell him to piss off and call me when he has cash in hand.

People will seriously waste so much of everyone’s time thinking they can get a better price out of you.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019708
Mobile Version of Website