Powered by Outside

Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?

PB Forum :: Transition
Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?
Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 3:18 Quote
Reviving this...

Any feedback on the mrp hazzard shock with a Cc link? I'm about to go down this route and wondering about a progressive spring.. also wondering about stroke length. I'm hearing and reading a few conflicting thinks about clearance. On a carbon V1 Sentinel, are you able to up the stroke length to 62.5 or is 60 the maximum? Also when ordering this shock what hardware do I need for the bottom?

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
Twodogsfarking wrote:
Reviving this...

Any feedback on the mrp hazzard shock with a Cc link? I'm about to go down this route and wondering about a progressive spring.. also wondering about stroke length. I'm hearing and reading a few conflicting thinks about clearance. On a carbon V1 Sentinel, are you able to up the stroke length to 62.5 or is 60 the maximum? Also when ordering this shock what hardware do I need for the bottom?

You are hearing conflicting information because there's enough variation in the frames that 60 will fit on some and 62.5 on others.

If you have the cc link you can measure this pretty easily by pulling the shock and checking the eye to eye of the frame at full compression.

Can't comment on the MRP Hazzard specifically but my CC link feels great with a linear spring. I also run it without the CC link and with the linear spring often so take this with a grain of salt.

Cascade was recommending a progressive spring with the link but I'd also take that with a grain of salt. Personally I think the stock ride feel is better in some ways and the cc link in others.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
Ordered MRP Hazzard, 60mm stroke with a linear 475# spring. That should get me started.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
Twodogsfarking wrote:
Ordered MRP Hazzard, 60mm stroke with a linear 475# spring. That should get me started.

What do you weigh?
Can it be adjusted to 62.5?

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 18:10 Quote
CobyCobie wrote:
Twodogsfarking wrote:

What do you weigh?
I'm around #200 or 90kg kitted up, but that's coming down...
Nah for the V1 I think going 62.5 is hit and miss based on individual frames. V2 it is absolutely the way to go.
To be honest, if a 62.5 stroke were to fit, it would be by a very slim margin, and I'm not sure I could confidently and accurately measure that.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
Twodogsfarking wrote:
CobyCobie wrote:
Twodogsfarking wrote:

What do you weigh?
Nah for the V1 I think going 62.5 is hit and miss based on individual frames. V2 it is absolutely the way to go.
To be honest, if a 62.5 stroke were to fit, it would be by a very slim margin, and I'm not sure I could confidently and accurately measure that.

Seems like ballpark correct spring rate then. I am between 180 and 190 and running a 500 and it seems about right. Not sure though because it bottoms out so softly that for all I know I could be riding the bumper.

Definitely good to be safe on the stroke. I think I got pretty good results measuring with a ruler and my measured stroke just about matched up with the stroke length where it would start clapping frame to frame on bottom out (thanks to DVO and their 8mm too long shock strokes...).

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
CobyCobie wrote:
Twodogsfarking wrote:
CobyCobie wrote:

What do you weigh?
Are you running 62.5 on a V1?
Seems like ballpark correct spring rate then. I am between 180 and 190 and running a 500 and it seems about right. Not sure though because it bottoms out so softly that for all I know I could be riding the bumper.

Definitely good to be safe on the stroke. I think I got pretty good results measuring with a ruler and my measured stroke just about matched up with the stroke length where it would start clapping frame to frame on bottom out (thanks to DVO and their 8mm too long shock strokes...).

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 4:32 Quote
Twodogsfarking wrote:
CobyCobie wrote:
Twodogsfarking wrote:
Are you running 62.5 on a V1?

Nope I'm on an AL v1. Had to get a warranty replacement and actually haven't fiddled with the stroke since then but pretty sure it'll run 60mm. The old front triangle would not.

Posted: Aug 22, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
What size fox SLS spring fits a 150mm sentinel?

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
Foster721 wrote:
What size fox SLS spring fits a 150mm sentinel?

Probably a 2.75

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 17:06 Quote
Currently on a V2 sentinel, around 165-170be, and running a 650# spring on my DHX2. And it still feels too soft .. what remedies are there to this? Does anyone make a 700# spring for a fox coil??

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 17:48 Quote
ChanceFuller wrote:
Currently on a V2 sentinel, around 165-170be, and running a 650# spring on my DHX2. And it still feels too soft .. what remedies are there to this? Does anyone make a 700# spring for a fox coil??

Fox has PNs on their website.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=672

Looks like Jenson has the one you need, 039-03-009.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Steel-Rear-Spring-25-28-Stroke

If you meant 165-170lbs, should probably be something like 400-500lbs. 650-700 if you're only doing Rampage on it.

Maybe you've been riding hardtails lately? That's probably less than 15% sag. If you WANT that atrocious of suspension performance you should probably go to an air shock with like 3000 volume spacers.

FL
Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 12:03 Quote
little question here, after a Cascade link upgrade on my mk1 Sentinel I'm now considering trying a 62.5mm stroke coil.
Those trunnion Supeer Deluxe with lower bearing mount are dirt cheap, are they compatible?

Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 9:34 Quote
iiman wrote:
little question here, after a Cascade link upgrade on my mk1 Sentinel I'm now considering trying a 62.5mm stroke coil.
Those trunnion Supeer Deluxe with lower bearing mount are dirt cheap, are they compatible?

It's hard to find info but the Vivid first ride article says this about the bearing mount: "8mm ID x 30mm hardware required"
Looks like the carbon sentinel runs 25x8.

Assuming you're running a carbon frame as well? Not even a 60mm fits on my V1 aluminum.

FWIW, bearing mount seems like a gimmick. Not much relative motion at the bottom during the stroke.

FL
Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 13:13 Quote
I'm on the carbon one, yes. I wouldn't want the lower bearing mount ideally, but I've found them for £80 spring included, so willing to live with it if they fit.
Good call on the hardware, I was just thinking on width

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028513
Mobile Version of Website