Ride Wrap...worth it?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Ride Wrap...worth it?
O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
[Quote="ka81"]
Branmuffin wrote:
ka81 wrote:

Cheaper but a bigger pain in the ass to install and look nice. You will spend a week trying to cut every piece yourself. The materials are the same or nearly identical. The parts that are left uncovered are generally just seams, so you get 99% coverage with a full kit.
week ? )) what's wrong wtih your hands?.. Wink

With a fully tailored kit for your bike, pre cut, it will take most people minimum 2 hours to apply the kits. If you are going to just buy rolls of 3M VViViD film, hand measure and cut to achieve 100% coverage and not look like complete and utter trash, would bet at least a week. (40 hours) of your time. And it will look worse than a purchased kit and likely less coverage.

I am gonna have to assume you have never actually applied one of these kits or even tried to create your own. If you have, please provide some detailed pictures so we can see how it turned out.

Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 13:00 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:

I am gonna have to assume you have never actually applied one of these kits or even tried to create your own. If you have, please provide some detailed pictures so we can see how it turned out.
Next time you 'gona have to assume' something (anything) - don't do it.

Both of my bikes are wrapped with film, I'd say, for at least 90% coverage. There are places with film that even don't actually need any protection.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 14:09 Quote
My time is worth more than all that trimming. I will stick with the tailored kits.

Not bad, but I am picky and could not deal with even the slightest wavy cuts on all those curves.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 19:07 Quote
Ya, honestly looks better than I would have imagined but it’s not nearly as clean as purchased kit. But props to you for doing it, most people won’t even tune their own derailleur these days.

Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 22:36 Quote
gmoss wrote:
My time is worth more than all that trimming. I will stick with the tailored kits.

Not bad, but I am picky and could not deal with even the slightest wavy cuts on all those curves.
With ANY kit you gonna have wrapped only some part of your frame. In my case - there's almost no place without film.
And yup, your cuts (using kits) will be 'marvelous'.. ))

And let's not even try to talk about films itself..
Anyway, good luck.
And, if anyone want to show their "Ride Wrap" protected frames - don't be so shy and embarassed, show us the result.. ))

Posted: Jan 3, 2023 at 6:09 Quote
Invsiframe wraps damn near all my frames. As mentioned, as much coverage as you have, or more, with a lot less work. I do all my own work when I can, including my house and cars. But, I know when to let someone else do some things. I have wrapped 5 or ao frames in the last several years, its easy compared to installing dirt bike graphics.

Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 22:05 Quote
Has anybody had ridewrap or invisiframe for a long period of time and can tell me about yellowing of the tape? I think i want some, but not if it’s gonna fade into a yellow…

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2023 at 0:02 Quote
It’s the same clear wrap they use on cars. It doesn’t yellow like the old stuff did in the 80s.

Posted: Jan 29, 2023 at 8:24 Quote
flgfish wrote:
It’s the same clear wrap they use on cars. It doesn’t yellow like the old stuff did in the 80s.

Sweet, thank you!

FL
Posted: Jan 30, 2023 at 20:41 Quote
Mattdog51 wrote:
Has anybody had ridewrap or invisiframe for a long period of time and can tell me about yellowing of the tape? I think i want some, but not if it’s gonna fade into a yellow…

I’ve had a few bikes wrapped with RideWrap and they were all perfect. They don’t have any yellowing after a long period of time. I also had one bike unwrapped because I bought it used and it looked brand new after unwrapping. RideWrap is a great product.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 17:27 Quote
Mattdog51 wrote:

Third season with Ridewrap..
some of my eBay special anodised bolts have more UV damage than the Ridewrap

Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 19:07 Quote
Just finished wrapping my brand new Evil Offering bike. I used Ride Wrap. My first time doing this. Time consuming, even with precut pieces( I chose 95 precent frame coverage. There are 3 options to choose from. 35,65 95 precent). Swing arm its particularly hard to do for obvious reasons. Big frame much easier. Still I did less than Ok job. Bunch of air bubbles, unable to align pieces together, edges sticking out. But at least gives me some protection from every day riding

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 12:07 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
Mattdog51 wrote:

Third season with Ridewrap..
some of my eBay special anodised bolts have more UV damage than the Ridewrap

2021 Ripmo AF with Invisframe protection. She's been really nice. Zero yellowing and key/tight interfaces are holding nicely. Invested ~4hrs to install, per the recommend documentation. Will def wrap our next rig in Invisframe.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 12:04 Quote
It's like a phone screen protector... Will prevent scratches, but if it's gets damaged, replace it. Otherwise it'll just look like crap as if you didn't have protection. What's the point then? Anyways, mtbs are meant to be banged up, and it might help with resale value.

Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 7:11 Quote
Most of the bikes I’ve seen with film protectors look kinda shitty after a season or two due to dirt getting in along the edges. We get moon dust dirt later in the summer (Bend), so that may be the reason why. Personally, I hate the way that looks and seems to defeat the purpose. Do all of yours have dirt getting in along the edges? I’ve never wrapped my bike, but just bought a new rig and am thinking about going that direction.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025911
Mobile Version of Website