Powered by Outside

2021 Norco Shore

PB Forum :: Norco
2021 Norco Shore
Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 14:08 Quote
photo

photo

This has helped me so far. Just a Zip Tie with the head part pushed on top of the chain.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2023 at 12:54 Quote
Got ~20 laps in at SilverStar in BC last weekend and had "only" one dropped chain, which was on a mild blue trail. I'm wondering if back-pedaling between turns is an issue... If I back-pedal quickly, the chain loses tension between the chain ring and idler. This could compound with chain growth under compression and force the chain elsewhere?

I also saw ~20 rental Shores at the bike shop and the techs said the V3 idler fixes they've had are not great. I wonder how many dropped chains the rentals get on a daily basis.

Anyways, since I'm unsure when the updated parts will come from Norco, I reverse-engineered the outer bracket and 3D printed a first prototype. The outer profile doesn't match perfectly, but the screw holes and chain-guide gap are right where I want them.

Here's the album: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/TurboDonuts/album/Norco-Shore-Custom-Chain-Guide/

photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 9:08 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
Got ~20 laps in at SilverStar in BC last weekend and had "only" one dropped chain, which was on a mild blue trail. I'm wondering if back-pedaling between turns is an issue... If I back-pedal quickly, the chain loses tension between the chain ring and idler. This could compound with chain growth under compression and force the chain elsewhere?

I also saw ~20 rental Shores at the bike shop and the techs said the V3 idler fixes they've had are not great. I wonder how many dropped chains the rentals get on a daily basis.

Anyways, since I'm unsure when the updated parts will come from Norco, I reverse-engineered the outer bracket and 3D printed a first prototype. The outer profile doesn't match perfectly, but the screw holes and chain-guide gap are right where I want them.

Here's the album: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/TurboDonuts/album/Norco-Shore-Custom-Chain-Guide/

photo

Norco Shore's owners becoming engineers Construction !! I have checked your fist prototype, I would suggest try to lower the gap between from top chain and guide as much as you can, you will have to create the two guide parts :

photo
photo

Great thinking !!! I should get the new part very soon from what the mechanic told me at Norco's Bike shop in North Vancouver.

I had a very good result with the E13 lower chain guide no issue at all at Whistler, Cypress or Seymour shuttles but for some reason my chain dropped from idler while climbing...

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2023 at 9:26 Quote
Thanks for the reply, Pierre! I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so hopefully that shows with the part’s design Wink

I’ve revised the design slightly and made another prototype. I tapered the inner face slightly (towards the cassette side) and added chamfers to reduce the risk of an outer link catching on the leading edge. I slightly adjusted the outer profile to match Norco’s inner plate better. Future versions will likely have greater chain clearance to accommodate those running thicker DH chains.

I’ve yet to test in on trail, but am optimistic this will improve performance. If it’s really *that* good, I’d consider ordering CNC’d ones (made from POM-H aka “Delrin”) if the newest Norco kits don’t meet expectations. They’d cost ~$35 each, shipped to you guys - assuming I get 9 other interested buyers.

The inner plate has fairly complex geometry that would be challenging to replicate. Since I’ve not had issues with this piece, I’d like to only modify the outer plate.

Album: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/TurboDonuts/album/Norco-Shore-Custom-Chain-Guide/

Posted: Aug 12, 2023 at 14:45 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Pierre! I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so hopefully that shows with the part’s design Wink

I’ve revised the design slightly and made another prototype. I tapered the inner face slightly (towards the cassette side) and added chamfers to reduce the risk of an outer link catching on the leading edge. I slightly adjusted the outer profile to match Norco’s inner plate better. Future versions will likely have greater chain clearance to accommodate those running thicker DH chains.

I’ve yet to test in on trail, but am optimistic this will improve performance. If it’s really *that* good, I’d consider ordering CNC’d ones (made from POM-H aka “Delrin”) if the newest Norco kits don’t meet expectations. They’d cost ~$35 each, shipped to you guys - assuming I get 9 other interested buyers.

The inner plate has fairly complex geometry that would be challenging to replicate. Since I’ve not had issues with this piece, I’d like to only modify the outer plate.

Album: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/TurboDonuts/album/Norco-Shore-Custom-Chain-Guide/

Aaah That makes sense and it shows ! I have received the new V3 upper chain guide, I have tested it yesterday at Whistler and chain was dropping from chain ring only, so I have reinstalled the lower chain guide and didn't have any issue during the rest of the day.

Just to give an idea I did Top of the world twice, descending through newest trails in Million dollars zone (double black)

First 2min on Top of the world chain dropped from chain ring and a second time 2min later then I installed lower chain guide E13 that I kept with me in my hip pack. and no dropping at all.

The new V3 looks to be good improvement with better plastic (ABS ?) and good adjustment with metallic shims.

Chain dropping form idler seems to be solved for NOW, let's see how it behave with more rides in it.

Pictures:

Here the V2
photo

Outer guide , V2 vs V3
photo

Inner Guide V2 vs V3
photo

After installation :

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2023 at 19:20 Quote
Excellent to hear, thanks for sharing! Looks like they made it both wider and longer, which ought to do the trick. Hopefully mine arrives stateside soon…

Cheers,
Nick

FL
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 10:53 Quote
instead of machining from delrin, 3d printing them in cf nylon would be cheaper and more than strong enough
TurboDonuts wrote:

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 23:01 Quote
Update :

No chain dropping from idler since I have the new upper chain guide neither from the chainring with e13 lower chainguide . So far so good , pretty stocked Beer

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 8:58 Quote
Pierrevtke wrote:
Update :

No chain dropping from idler since I have the new upper chain guide neither from the chainring with e13 lower chainguide . So far so good , pretty stocked Beer

Good to hear! I’ve had good results with my custom 3D printed outer/upper guide and E*13 lower guide. Still haven’t received the new upper guide from Norco…

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032507
Mobile Version of Website