Powered by Outside

Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
I guess so, I think the low BB makes the sunday such a nice bike, it hugs the ground so perfect. A true downhiller shouldn't have to pedal to much. Should just be flowing and pumping over the rocks or terrain.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:26 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
ill probably pick up the socom

You stated that you were looking for a bike that you wouldn't have to worry about line choice and could just plow whatever, and the Socom doesn't quite fit into that. If you talked to Intense, they would ask if you like to pick lines or plow lines, and if you were more a fan of plowing lines they told you to go for the M3 or now the M6. If you favor line choice, the Socom works better. Apparently it was easier to get thrashed about on the Socom for some reason. I'm sure it'll be fine for all intended purposes, but I wouldn't go expecting it to plow the rough rocks as well as some other bikes.
The soccom is a FRO correct?

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:28 Quote
cove shocker... as for the interrupted seat tube, get the titec seat post that telescopes out for you up hill ride.. thats ur bike

the socom will never hold up...

the sunday is also a good choice...

canfield is a solid bike... but expensive

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
Yeah the soccom is a FRO, for racing only, its not ment to tear up terrain and rocks. OR extreme freeride.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
nlitworld wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
ill probably pick up the socom

You stated that you were looking for a bike that you wouldn't have to worry about line choice and could just plow whatever, and the Socom doesn't quite fit into that. If you talked to Intense, they would ask if you like to pick lines or plow lines, and if you were more a fan of plowing lines they told you to go for the M3 or now the M6. If you favor line choice, the Socom works better. Apparently it was easier to get thrashed about on the Socom for some reason. I'm sure it'll be fine for all intended purposes, but I wouldn't go expecting it to plow the rough rocks as well as some other bikes.
The soccom is a FRO correct?

Yes it is in their FRO category, but what I was stating is that the frame handles better if you favor line choice as apposed to just plowing whatever is in the trail. It's more of a finesse bike that is less forgiving when you bash it. Probably just as fast, but maybe a little harsh.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:40 Quote
Yeah it is a FRO bike but so is my Slopestyle. It has taken a beating and held up fine.

I have two sources right now.
1. the internet - alot of people here say they are weak but no one who says that seem to own one. the few people who have posted said they have beaten the crap out of it and its still fine. some say it dents easy. I believe it. a few people say they have dents but they are still riding it fine.

2. my friend - He is crazy. like i said earlier he drops 20 footers and hits 30+ foot gaps. he has beaten the bike hard and ridden more than most people do in a season (he has the socom and a SS as well). When i had mentioned some of the things i heard on this thread he laughed. He has ridden it very hard and it still looks pretty nice. He also said it is the perfect compliment to the SS.

I know it might not be exactly what i was looking for. I figure for the price im getting it i could try it out and if i don't like it i could easily sell it for a profit.
i realize im eating my words by getting it. but hopefully it works out.

i still want the shocker but finding a large is hard. also i would have to buy a new wheelset and cranks cause i have 135 rear and 73 BB.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
well, my brother decided he can't afford his socom frame after all and is going to sell it to me for crazy cheap.
i was really leaning towards a cove shocker but the guy selling it here on pinkbike was being pretty lame. not willing to work with me on anything.

ill probably pick up the socom and if i don't like it im sure i could turn a profit next year if i sell it.
i really wish i could have tried the shocker, giant, and the jedi. both look amazing. i guess me getting the socom is probably the smarter thing since i have ridden one a few times and loved it. also it should feel close to my SS suspension wise. just more squish.
plus it feels alot like the SS and it will be the same maintenance so i can do them at the same time.

i should also mention when i decided this i called my friend who has been riding one all season and he said don't worry about the strength. this guy has hit 20 foot drops and 35 foot gaps. i have seen it. so when i asked him if he thought they were weak he just laughed. his friend has been beating them on the northshore for the last 2 years.

thanks for all the advise. ill be sure to post some pics up when i get it done next spring.

landing huge gaps or riding fast isnt gonna damage the frame, its when you hit it against a rock or a rock flys up at the frame, or it bounces around on a shuttle that socoms dent far too easily

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
lifeonhigh wrote:
Since you are looking for some great downhill geo, and something fairly unique, have you looked at the Chumba F5

not digging the chumba, design/looks wise
well, screw you my friend, screw you

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
me2menow wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
lifeonhigh wrote:
Since you are looking for some great downhill geo, and something fairly unique, have you looked at the Chumba F5

much better bikes than a chumba

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
me2menow wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:

true, but have u evr ridden one?

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
me2menow wrote:
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
me2menow wrote:

true, but have u evr ridden one?

yes.. i liked my norco way better and its not nearly as well speced as the chumba

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
I don't know what ironhorse is going to do next. They lost sam hill, they're losing there DW-link design which to me made them pretty famous. Im assuming in the years to come specialized is going to get real popular in racing.

Ya, but it's not a popularity contest. Too many people seem to forget that. Plus, IH will be licensing the ICT from Ellsworth, which is supposed to be pretty rad. Don't know from experience how much is true and how much is BS, but from their website, ICT sounds amazing. I also spoke with someone riding an Ellsworth Rogue who did confirm that the ICT was pretty awesome.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016081
Mobile Version of Website