Powered by Outside

The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Jan 27, 2024 at 0:45 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
I've went to my lightweight barrel 18" upper as my grab and go. Went down to a 1-4X illuminated scope and a blue force gear 2 point sling. Not as handy as the SBR length but I don't want to deal with the stamp right now.

What I do want is one of those super short new silencer central 5.56 cans. Not much length, plenty of volume, and near no back pressure. Would be a worth add to that 10.5 kit.

No stamp for me. Mine is an adjustable brace. The government already takes enough of my money, I'm not paying them $200 for something that should be protected by the 2nd Amendment.

Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 6:10 Quote
seraph wrote:
cougar797 wrote:
I've went to my lightweight barrel 18" upper as my grab and go. Went down to a 1-4X illuminated scope and a blue force gear 2 point sling. Not as handy as the SBR length but I don't want to deal with the stamp right now.

What I do want is one of those super short new silencer central 5.56 cans. Not much length, plenty of volume, and near no back pressure. Would be a worth add to that 10.5 kit.

No stamp for me. Mine is an adjustable brace. The government already takes enough of my money, I'm not paying them $200 for something that should be protected by the 2nd Amendment.

Yah Im getting that opinion real quick. Stamps on suppressors piss me off too. "Pay us $200 to ask not to destroy your ears and maybe we will say yes" is BS.

The tax stamp needs to be abolished.

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 9:01 Quote
The Norinco SVD

Last range trip with the SVD. Had some handloaded ammo to run through and to tie things up as it has been sold to a guy at SAAB. It was one of those bucket list guns, and when I got it, I thought it would stay.
But it turnes out, that it was instrumental in getting me into writing assignments for more gun related stuff.

If ammo, brass and the likes were available for it, I might look at it from another angle. But with the current world situation I dont think there will be in a close future.

So I am sticking to 223 and 308. At least they are still available.

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 10:46 Quote
Yep we aren't too far past a world where the Russian 7.62 cartridges were the cheap affordable easy to collect in bulk ammunition solution. Even the matching firearms have increased in price considerably over here the last 10 years.

Funny how things change.

Also I too want to at least get to shoot an SVD one of these days.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 5:45 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
Yep we aren't too far past a world where the Russian 7.62 cartridges were the cheap affordable easy to collect in bulk ammunition solution. Even the matching firearms have increased in price considerably over here the last 10 years.

Funny how things change.

Yeah, its pretty much the same way here.
When I got the rifle I just managed to get the two last boxes of mil-surplus ammo for it. Since then, there are nothing to get. Well, there are still Lapua brass for it. But the rifle wrecks havoc on them and they last at the most 4 cycles, so Lapua is not a valid choice, as they are 20$ a piece...

I have been jonseing for a 6.5 grendel and now that ARs are free to get here, it is something I would like to get into. But the prices and availabilty on brass is the same way on it.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 6:03 Quote
chaserider wrote:
cougar797 wrote:

Funny how things change.

Yeah, its pretty much the same way here.
When I got the rifle I just managed to get the two last boxes of mil-surplus ammo for it. Since then, there are nothing to get. Well, there are still Lapua brass for it. But the rifle wrecks havoc on them and they last at the most 4 cycles, so Lapua is not a valid choice, as they are 20$ a piece...

I have been jonseing for a 6.5 grendel and now that ARs are free to get here, it is something I would like to get into. But the prices and availability on brass is the same way on it.

I've been wanting to play with one of those grendels. I think the new 6mm ARC may be a better balanced bullet size for the cartridge volume though.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 6:11 Quote
cougar797 wrote:

I've been wanting to play with one of those grendels. I think the new 6mm ARC may be a better balanced bullet size for the cartridge volume though.

The 6.5 part is where the Grendel really shines here though.

6.5mm match bullets from Norma (Diamondline and Golden Target) are still relativly cheap and easy to get here. Where as 6mm anything tends to get scooped up by the PRS crowd faster than a hen takes a shit.

About .50$ per bullet is about as cheap as it gets here for the Norma Diamondline.

But then again, those are 130 grain bullets. That might be on the heavier side for the Grendel?

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 6:21 Quote
chaserider wrote:
cougar797 wrote:

The 6.5 part is where the Grendel really shines here though.

6.5mm match bullets from Norma (Diamondline and Golden Target) are still relativly cheap and easy to get here. Where as 6mm anything tends to get scooped up by the PRS crowd faster than a hen takes a shit.

About .50$ per bullet is about as cheap as it gets here for the Norma Diamondline.

But then again, those are 130 grain bullets. That might be on the heavier side for the Grendel?

On one hand if you weren't goin to run bigger bullets why not just go 6mm right? But the loads I've seen reading about grendel tend to top out in the low 120 grain weights as max ideal. That's crazy that 6mm is higher in cost then 6.5. But cheap shooting is cheaper shooting. I am a bit of a 6mm fan when it comes to target work.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 6:32 Quote
cougar797 wrote:

On one hand if you weren't goin to run bigger bullets why not just go 6mm right? But the loads I've seen reading about grendel tend to top out in the low 120 grain weights as max ideal. That's crazy that 6mm is higher in cost then 6.5. But cheap shooting is cheaper shooting. I am a bit of a 6mm fan when it comes to target work.

Norma Diamondline 6.5, 48$ for a box of 100.
Diamondline 6mm 69$ for a box of 100.

Its because 6.5 swedish mauser is the national caliber and is made in abundance for the target shooters.

I am sure that 6mm is great, but cost and barrel life has kept me from it.

We, will see. A .300BLK barrel is planned first and foremost. I plan to build an integrated suppressor for it.
And when my LGS gets 6.5 grendel ammo, I will get to test a rifle for them.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 8:54 Quote
Sub sonic 300 is a super fun suppressed. Youll love it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2024 at 8:44 Quote
Well shit!

My relations with Aimpoint thickens... I got this box from them the other day, so now I am sporting one of their 3x magnifiers to try out. Its acctually pretty cool.

My AR with some stuff.

Posted: Feb 18, 2024 at 14:55 Quote
What range are you shooting with a 3X mag that you weren't shooting with just a regular red dot? Seems to me that 3X isn't really that much magnification.

Posted: Feb 18, 2024 at 21:57 Quote
seraph wrote:
What range are you shooting with a 3X mag that you weren't shooting with just a regular red dot? Seems to me that 3X isn't really that much magnification.

It is something I have been curious to try, so I asked Aimpoint about it and they were happy to lend me one.
I really cant see any benefits over a LPVO sight with it. It has a pretty small eyebox, and as you write, it only has 3x magnification.

But, it feels kind of cool and it looks pretty awesome.

Ive only tried it once, and It helps on 100 meters or more to put more precise shots on smaller targets. So if you really have to use a red dot (like if it was issued) then a 3x adds capability. But if you buy your own gear, I dont see why you would get a magnifier when pretty much any decent LPVO is so much better.

Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 7:02 Quote
Still one of my favorite over priced 5.56 guns. My Mk12 Mod 0 'clone'

photo
photo

Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 8:35 Quote
kd12 wrote:
Still one of my favorite over priced 5.56 guns. My Mk12 Mod 0 'clone'

photo
photo

VERY NICE!!

I just so happen to have a PRI Mark 12 mod H kit coming in. I am very excited to get my hands on it.

Again, great looking rifle.

Are you able the have a suppressor in your state?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014378
Mobile Version of Website