Powered by Outside

commencal clash

PB Forum :: Commencal
commencal clash
Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
you effectively gain 10mm in the front so I would assume everything would slacken by about .6 deg.
for now i've kept the 29er setup on as you kinda monster truck stuff but its still playful. typical mullet.
FYI am using a 170 lyrik select +.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
ok word good to know. Has anyone here put a 170 mm fork on the new clash to potentially improve climbing ability/playfulness and if so what did you think compared to the 180? Considering replacing the zeb ultimate on the clash i ordered with my 170 mm fox 36 grip 2 from my old bike. Any comparisons between those two forks would be great to know about as well. Mostly considering replacing the zeb because I wasn't a fan of the lyrik's tendency to sit deep in its travel.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
pjfisch wrote:
ok word good to know. Has anyone here put a 170 mm fork on the new clash to potentially improve climbing ability/playfulness and if so what did you think compared to the 180? Considering replacing the zeb ultimate on the clash i ordered with my 170 mm fox 36 grip 2 from my old bike. Any comparisons between those two forks would be great to know about as well. Mostly considering replacing the zeb because I wasn't a fan of the lyrik's tendency to sit deep in its travel.

that trait of the lyrik was the old airspring. they updated it for 2021 and is much better now.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
I'll just copy over what I wrote on the other clash post up there

Okay there's a bit of change since that last post.

I changed my setup quite a lot for this season : new 29er fork , new mullet wheelset , new tires et no more tannus.

Bike comes up at 34.5lbs now which is way better and the Assegai/Dissector over the DHF/DHRII have a way better rolling resistance at first sight.

Yesterday I did two uphill climbs that were 2.5km and 250m up mostly on a paved road and a gravel road (the uphill trail was still close due to early spring so we have to take the maintenance road up)

So far I can say that the best thing to do for a clash to climb better is to shed some weight on it and having tires with less rolling resistance. You might loose in cornering a bit but you'll have a more "balance" ride.

On another subject , the mullet setup is just insane in my opinion , the mezzer + the big wheel just EAT gnar and janky stuff.

I never felt so quick in a straigh line then with this setup.

I would loose a lot of speed because I'm still shit at cornering and moduling my brake before a turn but as soon as I would exit a turn I gained speed so fast.

Really dig the setup. Now I might go over to a meta + mullet link next season just to have my waterbottle inside the frame but it's not sure yet..

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
Just a heads up if you crack anything they will not warranty it if you change the geo. Or just keep the old fork and wheel so when they ask for pics you can say it’s normal. I want to throw a 26” on the rear but I already pedal strike enough as it is..

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
jamesdorrett wrote:
Just a heads up if you crack anything they will not warranty it if you change the geo. Or just keep the old fork and wheel so when they ask for pics you can say it’s normal. I want to throw a 26” on the rear but I already pedal strike enough as it is..

I built from the frame up so not sure how warranty even work in that case since I never put approved parts on it I guess..

I guess then I can just lie on what fork was on it since I never bought a complete in the first place ?

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
They will ask for pics of the bike as is

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 10:42 Quote
Thought I’d might give an update here since I’ve been riding my Clash - 21 in a couple of different terrains now.

So I built it up from frame, after going back and forth I went for a Medium and I’m about 5’9 or 175cm. Coming from a Canyon spectral -20 which I sold since I mostly ride bike parks and tougher trails where you have to push up to the top. I just felt that the spectral required to much maintenance for my riding style but it sure was nimble and fun.

The reach for the spectral was 440 on a medium and I rode with a 35mm stem. That was 25mm less in reach than my current setup(same stem).

So the first proper ride I did pedal to the top. Running DH case, inserts and Öhlins coil it wasn’t the best of experiences but I didn’t expect anything else, that was never anything I prioritized. However when i pointed downwards it’s a monster. Extremely plush and just wanted more and more and it felt more like riding a DH rig than my old spectral, now that’s not a bad thing in my eyes.

I went out for another ride today, pushing to the top and ripping down in some more technical trails my initial impression was that I should have gone for a small. So much so that I will probably order a new frame next month and sell this one when it arrives. I just felt like it was to much of a hustle in the tight corners and technical bits, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I hop d I’d would in those parts. I will give it a couple of more weeks to see if I have a change of heart.

Now don’t get me wrong, it’s a monster and that’s what I’ve been looking for but I just feel like the frame is too long for my liking. Just my two cents if anyone is around my height.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
After ordering back in November 2020, my Race just came in the other day. Derailer was poking out of the box but no damage. Set up was completed in about 20 minutes. Coming from a 2018 Giant Trance 2 large, I called the Golden, CO store and they recommended a Medium clash based on my stats (5"11 165lbs) and it fits perfectly. Minimal sag adjustment out of the box...front was at 25% and I bumped it up to 30%. Rear was right at 30%. It comes in at 35.5 lbs with OneUp aluminum pedals on and set up as tubeless which is 5lbs heavier than the Trance 2 but hey, it's built to take more punishment.
photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 4:27 Quote
hannan86 wrote:
After ordering back in November 2020, my Race just came in the other day. Derailer was poking out of the box but no damage. Set up was completed in about 20 minutes. Coming from a 2018 Giant Trance 2 large, I called the Golden, CO store and they recommended a Medium clash based on my stats (5"11 165lbs) and it fits perfectly. Minimal sag adjustment out of the box...front was at 25% and I bumped it up to 30%. Rear was right at 30%. It comes in at 35.5 lbs with OneUp aluminum pedals on and set up as tubeless which is 5lbs heavier than the Trance 2 but hey, it's built to take more punishment. Once I figure out how to get photos from my profile to this forum I'll add them...

Sick! I pulled up your pics on your profile and looks beautiful. I've had my '21 Clash Origin for about 7-8 months now and thinking about getting Schwalbe tires soon - curious what you think of them on your bike and what others choose for tires on the Clash.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
Does anybody how much assembling I'll have to do once the bike comes? I'll have a pretty limited shop for the foreseeable future

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
DaFreerider44 wrote:
Does anybody how much assembling I'll have to do once the bike comes? I'll have a pretty limited shop for the foreseeable future

bolting on the wheels, bars and your pedals. adjust shock pressure. tubes are installed and inflated. tubeless valves are included. didn't check if rims were taped.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
JoshParsons87 wrote:
DaFreerider44 wrote:

bolting on the wheels, bars and your pedals. adjust shock pressure. tubes are installed and inflated. tubeless valves are included. didn't check if rims were taped.
That's less than I thought.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
DaFreerider44 wrote:
JoshParsons87 wrote:
DaFreerider44 wrote:

That's less than I thought.

Rims are taped.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 4:58 Quote
First ride and I hate the new frame.. even down sizing to a medium it just feels like a boat. Going to take some getting used to for sure.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013392
Mobile Version of Website