Powered by Outside

ColoRADo DH riders

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
ColoRADo DH riders
O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 13:04 Quote
Hey guys

I'm travelling over to Colorado from the UK in early July and looking for some advice on which bike parks to visit. I lean towards tech stuff over flow and the steeper, rockier the better! So far, I've planned for Trestle, Keystone and will be spending a few days in Breckenridge so I can hit Copper Mountain and Vail. Afterwards, I've been looking at either Crested Butte or travelling down to Angel Fire. I'll also be stopping in Colorado Springs and I've seen there is some decent riding around the Barr Trail. Will be taking a dh bike so not sure whether the riding in Colorado Springs will be possible with that.

Would appreciate any tips and recommendations on where and what to ride.

Cheers

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 13:48 Quote
Breck is a waste of time, unless you like climbing.
Keystone has rocks and tech galore, even the jump lines are lacking flow in a terrible way that you should enjoy. Trestle is dope, great variety and the flow is usually pretty hammered so it suits a dh bike well.
Copper is just opening up good flow trails and doesn’t have anything truly black going yet.
Vail is a waste of money and time really, there are only two good trails for a full dh bike and it’s just not that great, but the one old wc track is zesty. Just not worth the cash for that one trail.
Crested butte is a secret gem. Great flow great blown out rocky old jank, and not much crowds usually.
Also Angel Fire: f*cking rules. I’d try to spend a week there if you like nasty dh and big bikes. I f*cking love angel fire. And it’s a pretty drive down through the states too. Green chile on everything !!!

If it’s windy at trestle, stay off the jump trails. I ended my season in the icu not respecting the wind. But that’s Colorado for you. Trestle is fun. Keystone eats bikes and doesn’t leave any leftovers or desert.

Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 19:10 Quote
maximumradness wrote:
Breck is a waste of time, unless you like climbing.
Keystone has rocks and tech galore, even the jump lines are lacking flow in a terrible way that you should enjoy. Trestle is dope, great variety and the flow is usually pretty hammered so it suits a dh bike well.
Copper is just opening up good flow trails and doesn’t have anything truly black going yet.
Vail is a waste of money and time really, there are only two good trails for a full dh bike and it’s just not that great, but the one old wc track is zesty. Just not worth the cash for that one trail.
Crested butte is a secret gem. Great flow great blown out rocky old jank, and not much crowds usually.
Also Angel Fire: f*cking rules. I’d try to spend a week there if you like nasty dh and big bikes. I f*cking love angel fire. And it’s a pretty drive down through the states too. Green chile on everything !!!

If it’s windy at trestle, stay off the jump trails. I ended my season in the icu not respecting the wind. But that’s Colorado for you. Trestle is fun. Keystone eats bikes and doesn’t leave any leftovers or desert.

I’ll second the comments about Crested Butte and Angel Fire.
Pysco Rocks, Captain Jacks and Boulder Mason in Crested Butte will challenge bike and rider.

Everything at Angel Fire will make you happy. I love that place.

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 17:27 Quote
second angel fire and trestle.what about granby ranch and purgatory resort...

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 21:36 Quote
I wouldn't give up a day at angelfire or trestle for Granby. never ridden purgatory tho.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2024 at 2:02 Quote
Thanks all

Have been looking at Angel Fire but nearly wrote it off because of the distance I’d need to travel. Will give it another look though.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2024 at 7:26 Quote
“I lean towards tech stuff over flow and the steeper, rockier the better”

Keystone is your best bet close to Denver. Way steeper and more janky than Trestle. Typically not as crowded too.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 14:50 Quote
Hey guys, where is your metro riding for this spring? just to get stoked for bike park season. golden bike park? ruby hill? valmont? etc...etc... what's good? what's bad? metro parks.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 17:32 Quote
wrenchman117 wrote:
Hey guys, where is your metro riding for this spring? just to get stoked for bike park season. golden bike park? ruby hill? valmont? etc...etc... what's good? what's bad? metro parks.

Ruby Hill is always a treat. Usually dries out before Golden and Valmont. Check out denverbikeparks on IG for if it is open or not. Plus the stuff there is awesome. Valmont slope stuff is better if you want a longer run with more options. If you want to work on jumping the Broomfield bike park is a good spot for that as they have some very straightforward lines that progress, but not much else there. There is also a pump track in Broomfield if you want a workout.

Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 15:05 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
wrenchman117 wrote:

Ruby Hill is always a treat. Usually dries out before Golden and Valmont. Check out denverbikeparks on IG for if it is open or not. Plus the stuff there is awesome. Valmont slope stuff is better if you want a longer run with more options. If you want to work on jumping the Broomfield bike park is a good spot for that as they have some very straightforward lines that progress, but not much else there. There is also a pump track in Broomfield if you want a workout.
what park would you rate from best to lamest WITH A DUAL CROWN? to ride.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 16:09 Quote
Dual crown bikes are so fun.
I also want to know!!!
Jumping dh bikes is a good time.

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 15:19 Quote
Hey guys! Question: seems like year-to-year bikes change.and resorts change. and I am not familiar with territory. I have been running trestle since 2017 and angel fire since 2016. getting older sucks. just wondering if guys are running more single crown bike setups in the parks or with dual crowns? I LOVE my dual crown fox 40! (buttery) but don't think I need IT? I guess any older guys running full 40 suspension in front in parks compared to 36 or 38 in front? how is it in the parks?

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 18:44 Quote
I returned to those two bike parks last summer and I have to say: very happy to be on the 40. I get that some do more with less, and I def saw a ton of 38’s on enduros. And even 36’s on older sentinels ALOT! But as an older guy, who liked racing dh and loved pounding through the rough stuff on a big bike, k just felt like I could jump fine on my session and still be not beat to shit when the brake bumps get deep, and the machine built stuff is hammered to smithereens …….
Just my opinion…..

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 19:56 Quote
Nothing beats a dual crown for lift serve imo

Posted: May 31, 2024 at 19:54 Quote
Was at Dillion reservoir in Frisco/dillon area on saphine point and saw some crazy looking berms across on the south/east side of the reservoir coming down the hill ridge near the waters edge. Anyone know if they are open to the public or where to find them? Can’t find anything about that line on the interwebs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009616
Mobile Version of Website