Powered by Outside

2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
seraph wrote:
pvd666 wrote:
seraph wrote:

Few people look for fit? I don't know about that one.

I've seen almost no evidence of it. I mention several issues in my post that points to that. What makes you think that they do?

Are you implying that manufacturers don't look for fit, or customers?

I'm not implying anything. I'm saying that both don't care at all. It's just not a thing in cycling. I'm in one of the most active cycling markets in the US and it's just not talked about here. Plenty of marketing. Not much substance.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 22:48 Quote
I care about fit and control when it comes to sizing my bikes. That's why I went for the S3 size Stumpjumper even though I'm 5'11". My short arms/torso appreciate the shorter top tube and I get on fine with a 170mm Reverb. Though a 200mm model would be nice, if they ever make one.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 6:39 Quote
seraph wrote:
I care about fit and control when it comes to sizing my bikes. That's why I went for the S3 size Stumpjumper even though I'm 5'11". My short arms/torso appreciate the shorter top tube and I get on fine with a 170mm Reverb. Though a 200mm model would be nice, if they ever make one.

I'm 5'10" I think my seatpost would be 10 ft in the air LOL. Here's my S4

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
seraph wrote:

I thought they made a 200mm reverb? theyre always popping up for sale around here as takeoffs.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:

I thought they made a 200mm reverb? theyre always popping up for sale around here as takeoffs.

They make a 200mm Reverb, but not a 200mm Reverb AXS. For no discernable reason.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:14 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
seraph wrote:

I'm 5'10" I think my seatpost would be 10 ft in the air LOL. Here's my S4

photo

Yeah the top tube is too long on the S4 for me. I already run a 32mm length stem. 34" inseam too.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:

They make a 200mm Reverb, but not a 200mm Reverb AXS. For no discernable reason.

ah yes, its hard to go back to a normal post after using the AXS but 200+ is a requirement for me on XLs haha.

the top tube on my s5 is quite long, i always run 50mm stems for the cornering traction but i definitely feel a bit too stretched out when seated, even with seat all the way forward on rails. When i had an s6 i made it work but always felt pretty sore after, its crazy how some people will go up 1-2 sizes on these things.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 17:13 Quote
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but has anyone confirmed if a Fox Float X2 will fit the standard 2021-2022 Stumpjumper? I know it will fit the new Stumpy Evo...but curious if the Regular Stumpy has enough room?

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 21:30 Quote
westonp80 wrote:
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but has anyone confirmed if a Fox Float X2 will fit the standard 2021-2022 Stumpjumper? I know it will fit the new Stumpy Evo...but curious if the Regular Stumpy has enough room?

Thanks!

I have yet to see that set up, looking at mine i doubt the aircan would clear the strut. The new float X is superior to the X2, so if you can get one of those tuned up i bet it would be sick

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
Hey all - haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. Is there a consensus on the 2022 Stumpy for a heavier rider? I'm about 230lbs and want it to ride fairly mellow trails around the Atlanta area. Rocky & rooty, definitely, but nothing extreme. I want this for my daily driver on these up-and-down trails, so good climbing is a must.

Would I be good with the Stumpy considering the 34/DPS suspension and the new frame design?

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
Alpione wrote:
Hey all - haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. Is there a consensus on the 2022 Stumpy for a heavier rider? I'm about 230lbs and want it to ride fairly mellow trails around the Atlanta area. Rocky & rooty, definitely, but nothing extreme. I want this for my daily driver on these up-and-down trails, so good climbing is a must.

Would I be good with the Stumpy considering the 34/DPS suspension and the new frame design?

Thanks.

I'm around 205 and have a 2021 S-Works. It's a whippy bike that's on the verge of being a little flexy for me but I like it. I'd say if I was your weight I would avoid but just my opinion.

I'd recommend a more stout frame, maybe a Devinci Django

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mountain/django-carb-xt12s-ltd-titanium/

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
Tinshield wrote:

I'm around 205 and have a 2021 S-Works. It's a whippy bike that's on the verge of being a little flexy for me but I like it. I'd say if I was your weight I would avoid but just my opinion.

I'd recommend a more stout frame, maybe a Devinci Django

Thanks. Options are limited for short-mid travel bikes with beefed up suspension/frames. Jumping up to a 150/160 type travel bike would be too much for much of my riding. Not familiar with the Devinci but will check it out. I may end up waiting through the summer to see what else comes out.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:35 Quote
Alpione wrote:

Thanks.

Agree with the above, I'd look at something else. I'm 175lbs/6'5" and had an SW S6 for a while and found it to be borderline too flexy when charging, so at your weight I'd think it'd be pretty noodley.

Also the suspension kinematics and spec aren't ideal for heavy riders. You'd likely be approaching the max pressure for the DPS and the frame relies heavily on damping from the tiny dps for pedaling support. I also find the 34 pretty flexy at 140mm so I'd look for something with a Pike/36/Lyrik if I were you.

Santa Cruz is pricey but they make great bikes for heavier riders. I had an XXL Tallboy 4 right after the SJ and the frame was noticeably stiffer, and I much preferred the suspension performance.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:

Agree with the above, I'd look at something else. I'm 175lbs/6'5" and had an SW S6 for a while and found it to be borderline too flexy when charging, so at your weight I'd think it'd be pretty noodley.

Also the suspension kinematics and spec aren't ideal for heavy riders. You'd likely be approaching the max pressure for the DPS and the frame relies heavily on damping from the tiny dps for pedaling support. I also find the 34 pretty flexy at 140mm so I'd look for something with a Pike/36/Lyrik if I were you.

Santa Cruz is pricey but they make great bikes for heavier riders. I had an XXL Tallboy 4 right after the SJ and the frame was noticeably stiffer, and I much preferred the suspension performance.

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually waiting for the new Hightower to come out but when it did the prices were so crazy for what you get that it really put me off of it.

It's interesting that you liked the Tallboy though. That's a Fox 34 setup but I guess you didn't find it too flexy?

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
Tallboy is pretty stout, so is the Trek Fuel EX

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013302
Mobile Version of Website