Powered by Outside

2010 Glory 00 Build Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2010 Glory 00 Build Thread
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:32 Quote
Running your compression settings wrong for your weight can have a disastrous effect on the internals, but if you're setting things up right, there's no issue at having your shock running min and max values for any setting, there just needs to be a sort of curve to your settings if you will other wise your shock will run extremely hot and blow out.

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:35 Quote
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic but that isnt exactly innovative. People change oil weight all the time. Although I agree that an over-damped fork/shock is bad, its even worse to run a spring thats too hard and have no damping at all to make up for it. If you're relying completely on the spring and not the damper, its kind of a waste of a great fork or shock

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:36 Quote
m47h13u please explain, because what you just said made no sense at all to me

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:37 Quote
who was that aimed at?

Ryan

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:43 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
Man is right^ the recomended preload is 2 full turns once it contacts on the spring the more preload the harder it is on the shock resulting in more damage. So yeah just bad idea.

Ryan

springs come in intervals of 50 lbs, which is really quite a large gap ideally you'd be able to get springs in 25 lb intervals, unfortunately that's just not the case.
a few mm of extra preload is not gonna strip out those big threads on your shock.
as long as you spring isn't bottoming out on itself it'll be fine.
i forget exactly what manufactures tech manual i read this in, but im pretty sure sure you can put up to 10mm of preload on a shock normally. to put things in perspective your shock stroke is 69.85 mm, so 10 mm of preload is not that much.

someone please correct me if im mistaken about the preload thing and send me a link to a official manufactures statement contradicting that.

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:43 Quote
you, about your friend being a genius for changing his oil weight

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:44 Quote
I never stripped out the threads my piston seperated from the push rod.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:44 Quote
Basically the way you set up your shock goes a long way on how it will last. If you're running everything maxed out or zeroed out the effects can be pretty horrendous. When you set up a shock you don't want your damper to be overcompensating for something your spring can do and vice versa. As an example instead of using a lot of high speed and lo speed compression to help with your fork eating your travel you can up preload (coil, air, whatever your shock does) or even change the spring. You can use the setting at full on or full off with no issue, but if your settings are all over the place (one end of the spectrum to the other) you run the risk of having massive heat issues because certain parts of your damper are compensating for others.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:45 Quote
brandonf wrote:
you, about your friend being a genius for changing his oil weight

Only a genious because I never thought of it prior I was using it in relation to the same thing as spring weight.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:47 Quote
brandonf wrote:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic but that isnt exactly innovative. People change oil weight all the time. Although I agree that an over-damped fork/shock is bad, its even worse to run a spring thats too hard and have no damping at all to make up for it. If you're relying completely on the spring and not the damper, its kind of a waste of a great fork or shock

very true

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 20:51 Quote
m47h13u wrote:
Basically the way you set up your shock goes a long way on how it will last. If you're running everything maxed out or zeroed out the effects can be pretty horrendous. When you set up a shock you don't want your damper to be overcompensating for something your spring can do and vice versa. As an example instead of using a lot of high speed and lo speed compression to help with your fork eating your travel you can up preload (coil, air, whatever your shock does) or even change the spring. You can use the setting at full on or full off with no issue, but if your settings are all over the place (one end of the spectrum to the other) you run the risk of having massive heat issues because certain parts of your damper are compensating for others.

We are basically saying the same thing worded differently haha. Iproper spring weight being compensated by over using the compression adjustment will have ill affects to the shock and its performance same with over compressing the coil. We are saying proper spring oil set up results in a good running of the shock/fork.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 23:31 Quote
I may have wrong, but i read on one site that sells springs, don´t remember where.
they said that if you weight 85kg (180lbs?) on th new glory with rc4 you sould have 350lbs spring,

that sounds really low but they say that the rc4 is very stiff(!?)

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 at 23:47 Quote
NilsK wrote:
I may have wrong, but i read on one site that sells springs, don´t remember where.
they said that if you weight 85kg (180lbs?) on th new glory with rc4 you sould have 350lbs spring,

that sounds really low but they say that the rc4 is very stiff(!?)

yeah i think that is wrong im generally between 75-80kg nd i run a 400 at 30% sag

Posted: Jan 19, 2010 at 1:46 Quote
aaaaa, i found the site

http://www.yarravalleycycles.com/yvc-shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=121&category_id=74

read down the page, that just what they recomend and have an explanation of the RC4.

but i dont know, i don´t have the bike yet but i have bougt a 300x3,00 nuke proof, 276 grams, i hope i´m not too hevy for it :p

Posted: Jan 19, 2010 at 8:15 Quote
I think the spring calculator is not exactly at all, every suspension system is different. For 85kg rider I think about 450lb. The bike comes with 500lb (M-L) for 85-90kg riders will be good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019333
Mobile Version of Website