Old School Politics

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old School Politics
Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
Yeah I mean that’s sort of what got me into the the trade. Diesel powers the world, cool to see the endless applications between equipment and machines that use the engine for power.

Power generation, quarry’s, dump, forestry, road building, etc. Super cool so far getting to go to a bunch of sites and learn about those processes. It’s also feels good when the customer calls you to fix their shit, and they need it fixed because it’s important. Not some bitchy customer who needs their bike fixed now because there’s a group ride in an hour.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
One of my instructors on my apprenticeship said "the world runs on bearings" he's right anything that spins is technically running on some sort of bearing tech, even the squeaky fan in the bathroom. Though diesel could very easily be added to that list.

Mod
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
I’m defiantly glad I pursued nursing when I was trying to make career choices that would provide a unionized job with good pay. Was a good choice that is paying off nicely.. Good pay, I work less than most of my non healthcare friends because I can afford to. Definitely am getting quite a bit ahead of my friends that chose to pursue trades. I might have gotten more job satisfaction out of something else, but my coworkers are great and the extra time off to pursue hobbies makes up for it by far.

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
Hello friends!

Hope you're all doing well and staying sane with the whole covid situation. I'm starting to get a little crazy, too much staying indoors. Going from playing hockey and rock climbing 2x a week each to nothing abruptly was pretty hard to do. We're still doing pretty well in MB, only like 250 cases so not super widespread.

Still working in aerospace at the same company, sometimes from home sometimes going to work. We're 70% military so we're deemed essential service. Engineering is still pretty decent, though I'm ready for a change to a different company in the near future. I was actually interviewing for another job a week before the Covid stuff started, as expected their hiring is on hold.

Never got around to building a bike frame (yet), but its still on the list of projects i want to complete. Started building guitar amps instead. I've built a couple of those now, I'm planning on making a nice wooden cab for it sooner than later so it looks all professional and then I'll shop it around to a bunch of people to see what they think. Goal would be to start a little company selling them if people enjoyed them. I play them myself often enough between my own playing and playing with my band. We've been asked to play a friend's wedding which is pretty cool.

Planning on buying an early 70s Datsun 240z or similar sooner than later for something to work on while I'm not allowed to do much else. Took a look at one last weekend that was a little bit too rough for me, have a line on another one that hopefully I can go look at next weekend.

Still riding my bike whenever I can, also worked part time at the bike shop through the spring/summer last year to help out and cause I really enjoy it, was planning to do it again this year but that's on hold for now. Assuming I won't be working there this summer unfortunately.

Terry, how's nursing at the moment? Are hospitals a shitshow currently?

Also: kicknlicks says hi if y'all remember him, we talked about old PB and bar times last time we hung out. Not sure if he has the password to his account anymore haha.

Mod
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Umm, hospitals in Alberta are good right now. Depending where you’re working it can actually be pretty boring right now since they aren’t doing all the elective surgeries and stuff.

I work mostly on an EMS truck. We’re at our usual steady pace.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
What's good people, first time I've been signed in in years also, so glad to see some old faces in here.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
gary1 wrote:
What's good people, first time I've been signed in in years also, so glad to see some old faces in here.

Jeez it's Gary1...

Every time I hear Elgin mentioned on the football scores it remindsme of you and your light blue Dialled... good times.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 3:02 Quote
timlake wrote:
gary1 wrote:

Jeez it's Gary1...

Every time I hear Elgin mentioned on the football scores it remindsme of you and your light blue Dialled... good times.

Amazing what a world wide pandemic draws out the woodwork eh.... Jailbreak

Hope you're all good pal, just got myself a bike back up and running so thought it would be rude not to drop in past here to see what was going on.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
Gaz, you chav.
Still blowing hours on CoD?

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
Gaz, you chav.
Still blowing hours on CoD?

Not really mate, sometimes get on the xbox but no where near as much. Been working in the North Sea, in the Oil game, as a Maintenance Electrician for the last 7 years now so grown up a fair bit since I was really active on here, but still the same chav you know and love deep down.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
duck wrote:
I miss laurie1

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
Well I didn't expect to see posts in here. Logged back in to watch the buy n sell for trail bikes. Bike world has apparently changed quite a bit and bikes are more expensive than I remember. Hope everyone is doing well

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 22:23 Quote
sorbet wrote:
Well I didn't expect to see posts in here. Logged back in to watch the buy n sell for trail bikes. Bike world has apparently changed quite a bit and bikes are more expensive than I remember. Hope everyone is doing well

This.

Actually just messaged a dude a few min ago about a Scott.

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
sorbet wrote:

I felt the same way when I bought my new 4Runner last month...Eek

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
sorbet wrote:

This.

Actually just messaged a dude a few min ago about a Scott.

Oh. I bought the Scott and been riding it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.063022
Mobile Version of Website