Powered by Outside

Post Your Marino!

PB Forum :: Other
Post Your Marino!
O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 9:31 Quote
WELL DONE!!!!

what did you use for a clear coat and how is it holding up?

GorgesIthacan wrote:
Here she is! Took a month or two extra (7 months total) bc everyone was waiting on the machined sliding dropouts. Apparently the wait times have decreased a lot since. Sketched out plans in October, Threw down in November, Arrived the beginning of June

64.5 hta...prob closer to 64ish with the 150mm fork...Suntour Zeron Coil Spring! Super Plush and easy to service/ change travel. Just swap out spring length, stiffness in 10 mins. Damper in the other fork tube and the coil spring can be swapped out for their air spring.

74 sta
485 reach
435 chainstays
1248mm wheelbase
110 head tube
55mm bb drop...the RSD Middlechild I loosely modeled her after was designed around 27.5's and I didn't want the bike to feel tippy on 29" wheels

I point her downhill, she just wants to GO!! Roots an obstacles be damned she is a dead eyed charger. She can still turn and climb just dandy...like I was smashing a 26" Gary Fisher Full Sus through the woods before this- I can only feel improvements everywhere. I actually like the direct power of the hardtail and I really do think the steely frame numbs the little vibes and doesn't ricochet off awkward rocks like the Aluminum 26er did.

The Headtube is Sith Lord Darth Nihilus from the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic PRG games- maybe some of the best SW content ever written. I had a redditor help me with the vector-line art to make it CNC-able.

I gun-blued + clear coated the frame myself. I heard paint might take another 3 weeks and was tired of waiting so I ordered it raw-steel. The Gun-blueing oxidizes the top layer of steel before rust can. Would not recommend but at least it'll look cool fora year or so.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 7:51 Quote
My custom full suspension fatty (140mm front, 135mm rear travel)

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 13:59 Quote
How's she ride? squishy/ supple I hope

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 14:37 Quote
GorgesIthacan wrote:
How's she ride? squishy/ supple I hope

I'm going to assume you are talking about my Full Fatty because I'm in the mood to talk about it Smile

I haven't been out on it enough to get the suspension fully dialed in yet. Between being sick and trails thawing out/closed recently, I've really only ridden it on singletrack once! And that was my first real experience on a fat bike period, let alone riding on groomed snow, so there were some growing pains. Riding around my neighborhood feels great!

I may need a custom tune on the rear shock (I'm heavy and it's too soft, even with full compression damping, Manitou Mara) and the fork was used and I had it serviced before installing, but it feels too damped fully open (Manitou Mastodon Pro EXT). So, I'm a little frustrated by that at the moment. But yes, the rear end feels soft and supple, just a bit too active/bobby currently, and the fork feels harsh, but with the squishy tires and smooth snowy trails, neither is a big issue yet.

I'll be building a 29er wheelset for summer, it should be a decent trail bike once the suspension is dialed since the geo is basically lifted from my Stumpjumper. May have to try the fat tires a bit in the dirt too. I'm tempted to bring it to our DH park here (Minnesota, it's nothing crazy) just to see what it would be like with all that traction!

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 18:05 Quote
Hey Marino crew! I got a new trials frame recently, very stoked to build it up... The geo is a bit long with some tricks I'll share later, but question...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HANGER THIS FRAME USES? Didn't ship with one. Can't find any info on the internet. Marino hasn't been responding. Any leads are appreciated! I'm even happy to machine my own, which I might do, but it would be nice to have a reference part Smile

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 18:29 Quote
Justfuzzit wrote:
Hey Marino crew! I got a new trials frame recently, very stoked to build it up... The geo is a bit long with some tricks I'll share later, but question...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HANGER THIS FRAME USES? Didn't ship with one. Can't find any info on the internet. Marino hasn't been responding. Any leads are appreciated! I'm even happy to machine my own, which I might do, but it would be nice to have a reference part Smile

photo

What rear axle/width did you get? I thought he had said all thru axle bikes come with SRAM UDH now? You could lose the question on the Marino Owner's group on Facebook, he responds there sometimes too.

Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 19:39 Quote
tpfenning wrote:
Justfuzzit wrote:

photo

What rear axle/width did you get? I thought he had said all thru axle bikes come with SRAM UDH now? You could lose the question on the Marino Owner's group on Facebook, he responds there sometimes too.

Message him on Instagram, he is fairly active on there and usually responds to me within a day or so.

Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 15:32 Quote
that423guy wrote:
WELL DONE!!!!

GorgesIthacan wrote:

photo

Hey man thanks! I used an automotive clear coat from an auto paint store and most important...an adhesion promoter, without which the clear would have flaked off entirely.

Now it just chips off with a rock strike. I could have done a MUCH better job had I joust bought another can of clear... I ran out of the one aerosol can and didn't feel like driving across town for another $45 can. Just wanted to build it n go riding as I had amassed all the parts months before haha. Some parts got a nice thicc clear coating like lower on the downtube seem fine. Just wish I got that extra can and devoted more time to sanding the clear between coats. Who knows how much it would've mattered. I like to think the gun blueing is also helping to fight corrosion but apparently I could have done more rounds of sanding and application, which I guess would have made a darker hue. whatevs.

photo
photo
photo

So now I have this unattractive stuff to feel self conscious about...and the Marino dudes warned me an tried to talk me out of it, bless them for trying. Not sure how long I will tolerate it until I get the urge to strip it n have it properly powdercoated. The belly of the downtube is just pockmarked with rusty rock strikes I wish I would've at least got the clear vinyl wrap. That one rusty blemish on the headtube is from cable rubbing right through

In any case I still love this angry lil cruise missile with all my heart

FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2023 at 10:55 Quote
GorgesIthacan wrote:
that423guy wrote:
WELL DONE!!!!

GorgesIthacan wrote:

photo

Hey man thanks! I used an automotive clear coat from an auto paint store and most important...an adhesion promoter, without which the clear would have flaked off entirely.

Now it just chips off with a rock strike. I could have done a MUCH better job had I joust bought another can of clear... I ran out of the one aerosol can and didn't feel like driving across town for another $45 can. Just wanted to build it n go riding as I had amassed all the parts months before haha. Some parts got a nice thicc clear coating like lower on the downtube seem fine. Just wish I got that extra can and devoted more time to sanding the clear between coats. Who knows how much it would've mattered. I like to think the gun blueing is also helping to fight corrosion but apparently I could have done more rounds of sanding and application, which I guess would have made a darker hue. whatevs.

photo
photo
photo

So now I have this unattractive stuff to feel self conscious about...and the Marino dudes warned me an tried to talk me out of it, bless them for trying. Not sure how long I will tolerate it until I get the urge to strip it n have it properly powdercoated. The belly of the downtube is just pockmarked with rusty rock strikes I wish I would've at least got the clear vinyl wrap. That one rusty blemish on the headtube is from cable rubbing right through

In any case I still love this angry lil cruise missile with all my heart

Sounds like you’re going through exactly what I did, I also had mine clear coated over bare steel(against Marino’s recommendation) and had the same outcome over about a year. Since had mine blasted clean and powder coated……keep changing my mind whether I prefer painted or clear :dunno:

Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 16:10 Quote
1 year of riding, 1200ish miles.
This is a kona esd clone minus the sliding dropouts, and did 725 renolds.
32# of gitsum!
Issues I had was the internal dropper cable was a nightmare to route over BB
had to pop out my seattube bottle mounts messed with dropper insertion
and had to chase threads on hanger.
Marino bikes

O+
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 7:37 Quote
New Enduro rig, waiting on some fittings to shorten up brake lines but had to get it out for a spin.

180mm fork, 170mm rear, mullet

photo

FL
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 7:47 Quote
tpfenning wrote:
My custom full suspension fatty (140mm front, 135mm rear travel)

photo

photo

Very cool tup

tpfenning wrote:
New Enduro rig, waiting on some fittings to shorten up brake lines but had to get it out for a spin.

180mm fork, 170mm rear, mullet

photo

Might just be the angle but it looks like 26 rear, 29 front

Huge stack height might be contributing to that

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.070014
Mobile Version of Website