Bike with 5" - 6" rear travel

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Bike with 5" - 6" rear travel
O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:48 Quote
cannondale4567 wrote:
nishnash wrote:
cannondale4567 wrote:

I just looked up the geometry data for both bikes, the Reign X has a bigger head tube angle, and thats really the only difference in the geometry, the headube is taller too. I don't think the frame is mor reinforced either, at least not from what I can tell from the pics.
Oh it is.... and bigger HT angle? Does that mean steeper or slacker?

Reign X is 69, and Reign is 67
Swap those around and your right... I just checked... Salute
For reference Slacker=lower/less angled and steeper=more angled/higher

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:49 Quote
nishnash wrote:
cannondale4567 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

Oh it is.... and bigger HT angle? Does that mean steeper or slacker?

Reign X is 69, and Reign is 67
Swap those around and your right... I just checked... Salute
For reference Slacker=lower/less angled and steeper=more angled/higher

Lol, oopsy

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 23:03 Quote
i got my kona with 6 inchs rear but soon to be up to 7
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 23:04 Quote
Oh wow old school!!!! And this thread really isnt about that lol... please read the thread....
And you can't increase rear travel w/out doing something unnatural...

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 23:07 Quote
oh srry but ya u can by boosting the stroke from 2 - 2.25 and removing the front derailer

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
ralbisurez wrote:
maybe you'd like on of these?
photo

does light dh/fr well, climbs, i don't do it often but i've taken her to dj's and she does well there too.
photo

and everyone i talk to says they are pretty stout bikes. dudes that had them and sold them say they wish they never sold em. just a suggestion. same as the sx trail almost just not as heavy. i've seen friends try to dj sxt's and the suspension just soaks everything up, they are 7 inches. on mine i just crank the fork down and stiffen it up a bit and rock it!

thats really nice!

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 8:55 Quote
dellow wrote:
oh srry but ya u can by boosting the stroke from 2 - 2.25 and removing the front derailer
pretty sure you would need a new rear shock and taking out the front derailer doesn't do shit

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:02 Quote
pake wrote:
dellow wrote:
pretty sure you would need a new rear shock and taking out the front derailer doesn't do shit

Edit

But how does the front derailluer have anything to do with the shock stroke length? Unless the derailluer somehow hits the frame when a longer shock is used instead?

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:06 Quote
dellow wrote:
you need the rear end from an early stab

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:09 Quote
reign x may be a great bike for someone who wants a bike that can be quite versatile but it is definitely not a ideal park bike. I had one and the rear end is super flexy on big jumps compared to the bottle rocket and it just has too much travel. I'm not saying the bottle rocket is the perfect bike though either however but it would be a better choice if you're interested in park riding. That being said, if by park riding you just want to hit 10 foot doubles and like 6 foot drops then you don't exactly need the burliness and travel of the bottle rocket.
here are some frames/completes to look at...
- banshee rampant: 4 inches, super light, i own one and i love it.
- banshee wildcard: 5.5-6.5 adjustable rear end and in my opinion rides nicer than the bottlerocket.
- mongoose nugget complete: designed for park riding and is priced extremely well (even by giant standards)
- jamis parker: another park bike that is extremely well priced

anyways, if you're serious about park and you want to progress, here is the bottom line - don't get a reign x cause you'll break half the parts on it and you'll have to spends loads of money upgrading components.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
and also, if you want to learn 360's, dont get a reign x cause it has wayyy to much travel in the rear end.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:12 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
and also, if you want to learn 360's, dont get a reign x cause it has wayyy to much travel in the rear end.
not true...
my buddy and I throw around our 7"+ FR bikes easily...

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:18 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
jv86416 wrote:
not true...

obviously you can do it. i have three'd my demo 7 before. its five times as easy to LEARN on a bike with less travel

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:22 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:
jv86416 wrote:
not true...

obviously you can do it. i have three'd my demo 7 before. its five times as easy to LEARN on a bike with less travel
then this brings up the point of contention with, ease of learning vs learning to build skill... I'd rather get something down solid on a rig that makes it a bit harder, so when I go to do it on something else it's super easy... it's an issue of learning curves.

but that issue is for an entirely different thread...
point being, I personally do not think that is much of an issue towards buying a bike.

FL
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
I used to have a reign x n then the headtube cracked. I took it in for warranty and they told me I was not using the bike for its intended purpose and refused to warranty it (it cracked on a 10foot drop)
- If ur not on a budget go for the Intense ss, otherwise bottlerocket cuz the customer service is real and not make believe.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028728
Mobile Version of Website