Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Circe wrote:
seraph wrote:
I've got X01 AXS on my Stumpjumper Pro and I gotta say it's pretty awesome. Thinking I'll go with an AXS Reverb next, although I also want to do an AXS mullet build on my gravel bike so that may soak up my funds a bit.

Yeah. I was stoked on AXS then two things happened. I put some miles on XTR and my AXS bike left me stranded in my highest gear.

What does a wireless electronic drivetrain bring to the table? Yes, it’s faster to install (no cables) but it Introduces a ridiculous failure point. You have to CHARGE your bike!
This is why I stay away from electric groups... while I appreciate interchangeable batteries on SRAM more than internal Di2 batteries, I just don't see any real advantage for introducing more complexity. I know I'd be the guy who forgot to charge his shit and had to bail on a ride or who got stuck in the big gear. I love bikes in large part because they're fairly simple machines, especially if it's a fully rigid road or gravel bike. I've ridden with a fractured thumb and a broken wrist and still never thought to myself "this mechanical shifting is just too hard".

I don't know why SRAM or Shimano don't incorporate something into the apps that lets you pick a SHTF gear either... you should be able to designate a gear that your bike defaults to once your shit gets to like 5% battery.

I believe the Archer system let's you pick your dead battery gear?

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
Yeah the Archer solution is pretty rad actually.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 2:34 Quote
seraph wrote:

And allot allot cheaper than Di2 & AXS

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 4:09 Quote
seraph wrote:
Got a link?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 4:23 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
seraph wrote:
Got a link?

Here ya go.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
I definitely don't like the idea of strapping a box to my chainstay. It's really no better than Di2. I'd be far more interested in the Archer setup if they integrated into a chainstay protector - more long and skinny vs stout and box-like.

What makes AXS awesome is that its built into the derailleur. No cables, anywhere, no batteries elsewhere.

If SRAM gets AXS down to $250-$300 I think they'll sell like hotcakes.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
PHeller wrote:
If SRAM gets AXS down to $250-$300 I think they'll sell like hotcakes.

Yeah, those would sell well on $600 carbon yeti frames that equally won't ever happen.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
dchill wrote:
iggzdaloc wrote:
DT 240 still holds the crown in my book. Engagement is overrated
With the 54t upgrade there is more then enough engagement

My 350 came stock with the 54t ratchets. Not sure I could go back to anything less.

I would 240 but I have them on my road bike and I kinda want to try something different. So far historically I've had 240s, 350s, King, I9 Torch, SRAM 900, E.13 TRSr, Hope Pro 3, Project 321, and Tune. Maybe I'll check out the X0 hubs while they're still available.

No XTR? like ever? smooth and fast hubs mister, with new one out now I think its time!!

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
The difference is, frame manufacturers can sell expensive frames based on premium exclusivity. I don't think Yeti has much interest in being as common as some cheaper brands.

Components manufacturers just need to move products via market saturation. The great thing about electronic drivetrains is that the consumer is kinda locked into using your batteries, your derailluers, your shifter (or your dropper post). The more of those sets you can get out there, the more those consumers are "locked into" your product line.

If I've got a $250 SRAM electronic shifter and I break my $200 AXS-GX derailluer, I'm not going to switch to Shimano - I'll just a buy a new (without battery) $200 AXS-GX mechanism.

The cool thing is, SRAM only has to make one part of the system cheap - the derailleur. As long as people keep the remote and batteries, the derailluer will drive sales for awhile.

The problem of course, is that the AXS derailluer is like a freakin watch and probably really hard to automate is construction and assembly, so being as cheap as $200 X1 Eagle or XTR mech is probably unreasonable.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
I'm bummed that Sylence is pretty much DOA and it sounds like the revised Shimano hards aren't quite as whiz-bang.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
Just how bad is the original Öhlins RFX 36? Is it an ok fork with overblown issues, or is it really the steer-clear nightmare people are making it out as?

I picked an aweful time to build a new bike- Frame I’ve wanted was on sale, so bought that and needed to sell the old whip to pay for it. Now I’m under the gun to find a 29” Boost fork before Mont Saint-Anne & Snowshoe.

Budget is stretched thin due to the 30.9 Dropper not working with a shim as planned, and there are no good deals on a 36 Factory which is what I want for the bike.

Alla, the 36 RFX looks like a cheap interim option.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
What frame did you get? Loved your old Thunderbolt, looked like such a fun bike.

I finally pulled the trigger on a short travel rig, Knolly Endorphin should be here in a couple weeks!! Super stoked, going to build it up with all the parts from my Warden.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
scotteh wrote:
What frame did you get? Loved your old Thunderbolt, looked like such a fun bike.

I finally pulled the trigger on a short travel rig, Knolly Endorphin should be here in a couple weeks!! Super stoked, going to build it up with all the parts from my Warden.

Yeah, mixed feelings about parting with that one- it really was the most fun bike I’ve owned to date. It was like a slope bike that could tag along with DH bikes when needed.

I picked up a V3 Ibis Ripley. Something about it always tickled my fancy, and I’m just not digging the V4. So I figure now, or never. If I end up not loving 29” wheels I’ll just get the new Thunderbolt next year. Hopefully he Ripley lives up to the hype, though!

Plan is a burly-ish build, 36 set to 140mm, enduro tires & quad piston brakes.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
scotteh wrote:

I spent a fair amount of time on the Endorphin and quite liked the bike and it didn't have a problem handling all the trails I ride my warden on but you definitely know when you have pushed it too far.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040467
Mobile Version of Website