Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
johnnyfro wrote:
Wondering if I can increase the travel on my 2012 rock shox revelation rl 29r from 120-140mm without too much difficulty? Thanks
as far as i know, fox forks cannot be raised past their original travel, only lowered

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 10:38 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
johnnyfro wrote:
Wondering if I can increase the travel on my 2012 rock shox revelation rl 29r from 120-140mm without too much difficulty? Thanks
as far as i know, fox forks cannot be raised past their original travel, only lowered
it's not a fox...

But i'm not sure if you can raise a 29 revelation above 120mm

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 10:48 Quote
Nobble wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
johnnyfro wrote:
it's not a fox...

But i'm not sure if you can raise a 29 revelation above 120mm
derp derp derp derp sorry

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 11:18 Quote
I'm under the assumption this fork can go to 140mm.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
if 140mm 29er revelations exist then its probably just come from the factory with a spacer to lower it to 120. Take it apart and find out?

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
the last 1 I needed dove was the back of my gf's 29er. I took it to lbs and they put it in the stand. they took 1 look at it and said it was 1 step away from taco, you did this not her, right?...I f'ed that wheel up it looked like a snake slithering....yep I crashed out off a snow bank jump. they guy took it out of the stand, smashed it flat on it's side against the bench 4 or 5 times. then back in the stand, played with the spokes a bit, spun it and gave it back. not exactly an art form...was 10 or 15 $$$
Wait what,.. He basically smacked your wheel back into shape and then trued it up? I wouldn't have that wheel back lol. But each to their own.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 13:30 Quote
It's my gfs stock wheel and it basically sees almost no use

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 14:38 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
It's my gfs stock wheel and it basically sees almost no use
fair play.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 19:59 Quote
Needing some help. I have a 2013 yeti 575 built up for all-mountain riding. I just purchased a new fox float x and it bottoms pretty easily, the problem is it allows my rear tire to contact the seat tube. The bike is supposed to run a 200x50mm shock (2" stroke). The original equipment ctd (what came on the bike) and the float x both have shafts that measure 57mm (2.25" stroke), what's mind boggling to me is the when the OE shock is drained of air and compressed on the bike the o-ring stops at exactly 50mm. The float x, however, compresses past the 50mm mark and allows the tire to hit. How is this? I called both fox and yeti and they both say that I need to return the float x for a 2" stroke, and that the original ctd doesn't have anything built into it to limit the travel. My concern is that I was really accustomed to the geometry and that now going to a 2"stroke shock is going to throw that off somehow. Fox also says that, given the serial number of the original ctd it is a 2" stroke but the float x is a 2.25" stroke? This seems impossible if both measure 57mm of shaft length? Lastly, (I swear) is there a way to limit travel on the float x or do I just need to swap?

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 20:34 Quote
yetiitis wrote:
Needing some help. I have a 2013 yeti 575 built up for all-mountain riding. I just purchased a new fox float x and it bottoms pretty easily, the problem is it allows my rear tire to contact the seat tube. The bike is supposed to run a 200x50mm shock (2" stroke). The original equipment ctd (what came on the bike) and the float x both have shafts that measure 57mm (2.25" stroke), what's mind boggling to me is the when the OE shock is drained of air and compressed on the bike the o-ring stops at exactly 50mm. The float x, however, compresses past the 50mm mark and allows the tire to hit. How is this? I called both fox and yeti and they both say that I need to return the float x for a 2" stroke, and that the original ctd doesn't have anything built into it to limit the travel. My concern is that I was really accustomed to the geometry and that now going to a 2"stroke shock is going to throw that off somehow. Fox also says that, given the serial number of the original ctd it is a 2" stroke but the float x is a 2.25" stroke? This seems impossible if both measure 57mm of shaft length? Lastly, (I swear) is there a way to limit travel on the float x or do I just need to swap?

you could run a spacer on the damping shaft BUT that would require you to repressurize it after and thats a special tool. the other option is run an oring or 2 on the main shaft inside the air can.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 21:03 Quote
I'm ordering the volume spacer kit from fox. Would that do the same thing and limit the actual travel a little bit?

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 21:42 Quote
yetiitis wrote:
I'm ordering the volume spacer kit from fox. Would that do the same thing and limit the actual travel a little bit?
no, you have the wrong size shock plain and simple. You should get the right one.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 22:06 Quote
^ yup. Theres nothing youre gonna be "missing" from going to a correct shock size. Just get the right shock size and you'll be fine. Youre getting confused over the fact that one shock is simply made to stop at 50mm vs. the other one is preset for a longer stroke, even if they seem to share the same shaft length, that doesnt matter.

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 2:10 Quote
Thanks everybody, I'll trade it in for a 2"

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 3:50 Quote
Anyone got a tip for mounting a tire on a wtb rim? They make really hard that a tire sits properly (rim wtb laserdisc free ride)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020043
Mobile Version of Website