PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
SDG Tellis inexpensive and user serviceable

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
dchill wrote:
Plus one of if not the lightest action available. Like butter.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
In the cheap-mid end, anything with a wintek cartridge will always get my money. Cheap to replace, runs fine in the cold, no major issues. The giant/bontrager/crank bros posts designed around it function quite well given decent cable routing and remote. Extremely reliable across the board. The SDG tellis is also running off of a wintek cartridge. No reason why it should be significantly lighter action than the others, and it hasn't in my experience. Has a similar remote to what comes stock on the giant one, which gets negged for having an extra tiny grub screw, but so does every other dropper remote. My vote, get the cheapest wintek post and forget about it for a while.

Be careful on the cable routing. Ive seen one cartridge failure, but 10-15 cases where someone tugged on the cable or adjusted the seatpost wrongly, preloaded the cable, and had the post squelch all over the place. Some premature wear on the stanchion, but not as bad as the PNW cascade/coast where I've never seen a heavy rider have it survive more than a season.

On the gucci side, reverb AXS has been sunshine and rainbows so far. Best remote, lightest action, no setup, and the vent valve was necessary for this design. However, I doubt it'll outlive 3 complete wintek posts, and as long as you're careful, you don't have too many issues with cables on the wintek posts.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
Surprised no one has mentioned one up. Lowest stack height in the game, adjustable in 10mm increments and replacement cartridge is only like $60. Been very happy with mine

Edit: I see gnar did as well.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
In the cheap-mid end, anything with a wintek cartridge will always get my money. Cheap to replace, runs fine in the cold, no major issues. The giant/bontrager/crank bros posts designed around it function quite well given decent cable routing and remote. Extremely reliable across the board. The SDG tellis is also running off of a wintek cartridge. No reason why it should be significantly lighter action than the others, and it hasn't in my experience. Has a similar remote to what comes stock on the giant one, which gets negged for having an extra tiny grub screw, but so does every other dropper remote. My vote, get the cheapest wintek post and forget about it for a while.

Be careful on the cable routing. Ive seen one cartridge failure, but 10-15 cases where someone tugged on the cable or adjusted the seatpost wrongly, preloaded the cable, and had the post squelch all over the place. Some premature wear on the stanchion, but not as bad as the PNW cascade/coast where I've never seen a heavy rider have it survive more than a season.

On the gucci side, reverb AXS has been sunshine and rainbows so far. Best remote, lightest action, no setup, and the vent valve was necessary for this design. However, I doubt it'll outlive 3 complete wintek posts, and as long as you're careful, you don't have too many issues with cables on the wintek posts.

Yes, Wintek cartridges have far less failures than all the JD based cartridges which was one of the main reasons we went with a Wintek cartridge. Our actuation is easier than the others due to the actuator architecture and also the lever shape. We tested all the popular posts on the market before launching Tellis, but nothing came close to the instant and feather light actuation. Even when we used a Wolf Tooth LA lever on others posts it still wasn’t as light.

You probably can find a cheaper Wintek post than Tellis, but none of those options will have a global network of distributors with all service parts on hand so if anything ever happens you’re only off the bike for a minimal amount of time.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
dchill wrote:

Alright alright yeah.

I've sold many tellis posts at this point. All customers satisfied. Zero issues. Stock remote is worth using for sure. They believe it's worth the upgrade cost over as previous owners of reverbs.

200mm travel tellis would be great. C'mon !

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
nubbs wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
dchill wrote:

I tried to get clap to make this happen for my DJ bike and he told me to get lost.. Haha

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 21:41 Quote
nubbs wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
dchill wrote:

Alright alright yeah.

I've sold many tellis posts at this point. All customers satisfied. Zero issues. Stock remote is worth using for sure. They believe it's worth the upgrade cost over as previous owners of reverbs.

Longer travel, cheap posts are always welcome. Do it up!

I’m sure it’s wasteful of me, but I never really cared too much about the small part availability. Plenty of shared parts between the tellis and the contact/similar options, and I was selling contacts brand new on here for a hundred bucks less than what the tellis is going for. I’m sure there’s similar deals out there to be had. If serviceability of the post itself is what you need, you know where to go thanks to clap.

Personally, I preload the hell out of the cable with a fourth hand, basically run more triflo than cable in the housing, and set the actuation right at the beginning of the stroke so the cam/pivot on the lever didn’t do anything for me.

I still haven’t run into a dropper I’ve run or serviced and thought “hmm yes I’d be willing to trust this on a bike for 3-5 years”. Sucks, but that’s how it is.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 23:53 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
riish wrote:
So the reverb I just got serviced is already squishy again after 2 weeks. I'm incredibly careful about not lifting by the seat and storing it extended, but here we are again.

Was thinking about replacing the Reverb with an e.13 dropper, to eliminate one more hydraulic line and make sure I can service everything on the bike with minimal specialty tools. Anyone here used one? I'd appreciate some real-world feedback.

I just replaced my e13 post with a OneUp v2. The e13’s hate water anywhere near them. Mine hadn’t been ridden for very long and the post started to get stuck and didn’t want to return. It also sounded terrible and had a lot of lateral play in it. Their website has a pretty intuitive breakdown of the dropper which I had no issues following. When I got the dropper apart I noticed that the four torx screws were rusted and two of the heads had sheared themselves off most likely from rust. The bearings were seized as well. I had only ridden it for about 4 months and this happened. They sent me a refurbished dropper which was better but it was only ridden for a short period of time. I think that warranted a brand new one not a used one that liked appearances-wise worse than my original. Hope that helps.

Damn

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
parkourfan wrote:

I had a giant post from 2017, this post inhaled mud worse than any other post I have had since. There was so much play in it after a season that it would bind. Have to admit that the cartridge worked flawlessly the entire time, just needed to work on their seal.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
skerby wrote:
parkourfan wrote:

I had a giant post from 2017, this post inhaled mud worse than any other post I have had since. There was so much play in it after a season that it would bind. Have to admit that the cartridge worked flawlessly the entire time, just needed to work on their seal.

'17/'18 would get bushing wear on some of them as well. Giant was good about warrantying these right up until this year, i'm not with a giant shop any more though.

As long as you pop off the collar and clean it off occasionally, we never had issues with mud. It sure isn't that muddy around here though.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
Have Rockshox , KS , Fox & Thomson droppers

SDG Tellis is next, don't want to think about droppers any more!!

Juice lubes fork juice ftw

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
Soupherb wrote:

Nice! Let me know if you have any questions on it when you get it. When setting up my posts I add cable tension until the post starts to slowly rise and then go a half turn back. That’ll give you instant actuation so minimal effort to get it moving.

I haven’t tried Juice Lube, but I’ll have to try it out. Usually I clean the post and rebuild with Slickoleum. Requires slightly more frequent service intervals, but definitely makes it even smoother.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Nice! Let me know if you have any questions on it when you get it. When setting up my posts I add cable tension until the post starts to slowly rise and then go a half turn back. That’ll give you instant actuation so minimal effort to get it moving.

I haven’t tried Juice Lube, but I’ll have to try it out. Usually I clean the post and rebuild with Slickoleum. Requires slightly more frequent service intervals, but definitely makes it even smoother.

does SDG have a published list of insertion depths/overall length for their posts? this is the one thing one up has going for them right now is you don't have to guess if it will work on an XS frame. searching for a new post for the GFs Liv.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
skivt27 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

does SDG have a published list of insertion depths/overall length for their posts? this is the one thing one up has going for them right now is you don't have to guess if it will work on an XS frame. searching for a new post for the GFs Liv.

Here you go! Can be found on our "Support" page of our outdated and soon to be updated website.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039527
Mobile Version of Website