Powered by Outside

Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 0:33 Quote
IP is a subtle thing; it's amazing how nuanced it can be. My thoughts are not that bikeracer28 will be sued, but that there's a slim chance he's created something novel.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
Can anyone suggest a good supplier for CFRP tubing in USA?

Rockwest seems to be a well known name, but I'm sure there are lots of others I should be considering and might give more options.

I have a few projects cooking that will require some CFRP tubing, but the next one up will be a handlebar made by bonding some tubes to a 3D printed 'lug'. I've already done this once before. Last time around I cut the tubes out of a narrow bar I had.... Here's a photo for reference. I've been riding this bar for a year or so.

Essentially I'm looking for 22.2mm / 7/8"" OD tubing of 12" length or greater. Layup/mfg method is TBD. I am an expert in metal 3d printing, I am NOT an expert in composites...

photo

Edit: corrected bar diameter. I forgot.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
I'm sure you know this but just to check - you're aware bars have an OD of 7/8"?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Get in touch with Drew Diller.
He's about as good at custom composites as they get.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
I'm sure you know this but just to check - you're aware bars have an OD of 7/8"?

Thanks man. Corrected.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
Fabris wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:

Thanks man. Corrected.

What’s your objective , just go for some roll wrapped tube , general rule 1.5 wall will do , I’m not going to get into discussions as to why or what or anything else , just tell you what will work

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 18:29 Quote
Fabris wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good supplier for CFRP tubing in USA?

Composite Envisions will do custom tubes for you as well as their stock options. Those dudes are one of my go to for higher end cf and gf material when I couldn't get it locally in the Bay. Now that I'm not in the Bay I'm guessing they'll be my go to, as composite/ plastic suppliers are harder to come across where I live now.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
Some vendors I haven't dealt with:

US: Dragon Plate Braided.
Slovenia: Carbon Tubes custom. Surely more expensive, but would save you the cutting.
New Zealand: Kilwell Fibretube custom.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 4:17 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
IP is a subtle thing; it's amazing how nuanced it can be. My thoughts are not that bikeracer28 will be sued, but that there's a slim chance he's created something novel.

until it was shown on a public forum....also a combo of existing items can be a novelty if they are not considered obvious. Competitors/ IP infringers will probably claim that obvious angle: bike-bags exist, tool holsters exist. Combining is kind of obvious as toolholsters are combined with everything: on belts, on tool belts, on bottle cages, on bags, on backpack shoulder or waist straps, on (swat) vests, etc.

Although it looks really cool, one reason to actually not do this is that in poor weather I don't like my tools covered in muddy grime so it goes in the bag, or pants pockets. This options seems to be something for road bikes or messenger bikes for purely Instagram kudoos...But also a quick way to get your tool stolen as messenger.

Posted: Jan 1, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
I designed and built a bike saddle. It's a bit similar in concept to a Volt, but completely 3D printed, including the ti rails.
Rails: Titanium 6Al-4V, EPBF. Hollow
Bottom shell: Nylon 12, SLS. Painted to match a RS Pike Ultimate
Foam/pad: TPU, FFF. The hardest part, but printed on a prusa!

Weights around 210g.

The shell is screwed to the rails with heat set inserts in the nylon shell. The pad is adhered to the shell with a little flexible 2-part adhesive. This is a completely unnecessary exercise- done for kicks.
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
Fabris wrote:
I designed and built a bike saddle. It's a bit similar in concept to a Volt, but completely 3D printed, including the ti rails.

Weights around 210g.

The shell is screwed to the rails with heat set inserts in the nylon shell. The pad is adhered to the shell with a little flexible 2-part adhesive. This is a completely unnecessary exercise- done for kicks.

photo

absolutely rad !!! ...and dog-approved..! tup

The creativity on this thread is awesome....wish I had the time. Frown

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
Fabris wrote:

Do You have a Pike Ultimate exact color name or code?
Or it is just a similar color?

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 17:14 Quote
Vyckinis wrote:
Fabris wrote:

Do You have a Pike Ultimate exact color name or code?
Or it is just a similar color?

Getting the color about right was purely an accident on an older project! lol. Here's the 'formula' to match a RS silver pretty decently. Not a color code, and not a 100% match. The key is the clear coat- for whatever reason it really makes this silver metallic paint turn to a glossy grey.
photo

Posted: Jan 19, 2023 at 21:17 Quote
Here are some plastic spacers I made because my chain would sometimes derail.
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 10:48 Quote
dolofogohogojo wrote:
Here are some plastic spacers I made because my chain would sometimes derail.
photo
photo
photo

If I paid you, how much posted to the UK? pm me if so.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021318
Mobile Version of Website